BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
JuniorM3
Captain
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 CP GT3

Simple brake ducts solve the problem?

I don't like the brakes on my E92 M3...When i drive 'normally' with my car and park it you hear and smell the brakes. No to mention the fading!! I'm worried that my rotors will warp one day.

I checked my brakes and to my supprise i saw that there are NO brake ducts on the new M3...and no holes in the front bumper to get any airflow to the brakes.

With my E46 M3 i had brake ducts in the bumper, for the cold weather models there where louvres on the inside, i took those out.

I checked the threads but everybody is talking about bigger brakes, different callipers.

Are there any brake duct kits for sale?...i think that will solve alot of the problems!

Jr
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorM3 View Post
Are there any brake duct kits for sale?...i think that will solve alot of the problems!

Jr
Not that I've seen so far. It's not clear at all how the brakes on the E9x M3 cool as it rolls out of the factory. The air ducting for the two oil coolers and the engine air intake is very complex on these cars, so I doubt that the factory "forgot" to cool the brakes. The question is "what is their strategy so we can enhance it?"

I know that the front brakes on my car produce "dots" of brake dust on the inside of the wheels in line with the vents in the rotors, so there's lots of airflow through the vented rotors. If you start messing with the way the factory air flow works you might make the cooling worse rather than better.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Air ducting will need to be a custom/doityourself job, until Turner or the other race-shops fab up pieces. I'll probably route some ducting to the inside of the rotor and find a place to mount the inlets up front...probably will need to flatten the ducting some for clearance.
It's not hard...just takes some imagination...

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0