BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #45
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I find it interesting that many of the members within this thread suggest that the OP should opt for the GTR, and claim that they, too, would opt for the GTR because it is more rare.....

....yet have chosen to purchase 2010, 2011 and 2012 M3's (..one that is an Individual color). Why didn't you guys buy the GTR?
I for one chose it because I was only interested in buying new and the price difference was more than I was willing to spend.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #46
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I for one chose it because I was only interested in buying new and the price difference was more than I was willing to spend.
That's true and I think for some that makes a big difference. Many bmw drivers want to buy new, esp. M drivers who are very particular about their cars. I for one only buy new. One member stated that a GTR is only 10-15k more, but that's simply not true. You can get a well optioned m3 for near invoice pricing around at around 68k whereas it's nearly impossible to find a new GTR below sticker at 95k. That's up to around 27k difference for well optioned m3 and 35k for weakly optioned model). You could easily buy another car with that money. Comparing used to new car pricing is a different story.

Last edited by erio; 10-14-2011 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #47
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewraith View Post
For my money- I'd go with a 335i. More power than the M3 with minimal mods, better DD, and huge potential.
You sound like a stoplight racer.

Quote:
If you're asking this question- you should probably go with the M3, those who buy the GT-R usually are performance oriented and there isn't a doubt in their mind.
So basically you are saying those that choose the GTR over the M3 are more performance oriented?

I could have picked up a GTR. There are a few reasons I didn't:

1. No manual transmission option
2. I find RWD much more enjoyable than AWD

I guess I'm not as performance oriented as you.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #48
thewraith
Banned
Rep
Drives: Nissan GT-R

That's fine and that's you're choice. Calling the GT-R a stoplight racer is like calling an RV a compact car. Fact of the matter is that BMW made a horrible choice with the M3 being N/A and horribly underpowered, the baby brother trumps it with a few modifications. The suspension is very easily changed.

For the record, I do like the M3- it just shouldn't be cross shopped with a GT-R. The M3 should be cross shopped with 5.0 mustangs, c63's, Audi s4's, evo x's. This is my opinion, that's all.

I'm absolutely, positively, 100% saying that the GT-R is more performance oriented. For all those that talk about manual transmissions- let's get real here. This is a track car, see any manual F1's out there? How about any other professional series? No- because manual cars are done, they are old news, they are outdated and this is like holding on to positrack or cog wheels.

BMW is going in the same direction, they already did with the SMG's.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #49
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

It seems like most of those guys who bought GT-R's spend more time on Bimmerpost than on the GT-R forums.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #50
thewraith
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a240reef View Post
Do more research. $4600 to replace all brakes on your GTR. $120 per quart of synthetic oil. $20k to replace your transmission.

Good luck with your "misinformation"

/yawn
I OWN a GT-R you genius. Are you really that ignorant?

Which type of synthetic oil do you know that costs $120/quart? We use mobile 1. $4600 for brakes? What kind of brakes are you buying? Fiber/carbon composites?

The transmission parts are now sold and available from Nissan. Shep can build you a bulletproof transmission for about half that price. Wow.

Last edited by thewraith; 10-14-2011 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #51
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
It seems like most of those guys who bought GT-R's spend more time on Bimmerpost than on the GT-R forums.

They all seem to ride in on some high horse too, like buying a GT-R took some kind of special training or boot camp.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #52
thewraith
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post

They all seem to ride in on some high horse too, like buying a GT-R took some kind of special training or boot camp.

This genius again....aren't you the guy that said you pick up girls because you have an M3?

Right on DUUUUDE.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #53
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toker335i View Post
I can vouch for this guy he IS an actual GTR owner, go check on nagtroc.com if you really want. Congrats for bringing a girl to every meet!! Damn, How much did she charge you? Did you have to spoil her and take her out to dinner and a movie too? Now we know why you bought an M3? Would you still have brought a girl to every meet if you attended a Scion Meet? Or Do you need a M3 to get girls?
Good luck with your decision. Back to NAGTROC where its nice and civil.
You missed the entire point of my post, the point is...while *some* of you GT-R owners are out there trying to constantly prove that you have a nice fast car, the rest of us are living life, with other things to do...The point was also a dig at GT-R owners, an obvious chip on their shoulders that the average person doesn't know or give a **** about a GT-R.

The only thing the GT-R will get you is a nice LONG conversation with some creepy dude at a gas station.

Really, this whole thread was about a GT-R vs. an M3, as a member of a few forums, you get a pretty balanced view of the GT-R here at M3post. Considering most members had/have the choice of moving to a GT-R, you are going to get a lot of opinions, some did, some didn't - majority didn't...(just by virtue of being on the M3 forums).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #54
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:

This genius again....aren't you the guy that said you pick up girls because you have an M3?

Right on DUUUUDE.
No, I didn't pick up the girl - the example was, I had to explain to her, why GT-R guys like you street race, or drive like D-bags around the "nova streets". What is a GT-R, well it's basically a car the Japanese people designed, so any idiot can drive fast...

I'm missing the content, you are posting nothing of substance...why don't you go back to beating off in your car...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #55
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

New M3 every time!

With a used GTR,you don't know what you're getting.Was the car tracked? Abused? Taken care of? Potential problems might be around the corner.Would not take the chance especially with an '09.

Yes the M3 is not as fast,but weighs less,is RWD, and NA.If these attributes appeal to you the answer is clear.How fast can you drive on the street anyway? 414HP not enough? It is for me
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #56
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

thewraith, your attitude and inability to articulate don't earn you any additional merit, and people generally dismiss what you have to say because you sound immature.

Visual preferences aside, it is very rare that people on this forum have something negative to say about the GTR.....

....until GTR owners infiltrate the forum with an inflated sense of self worth.

You're not dealing with Honda Civic owners here. An individual that spent $75-80k on an M3 could have opted for a GTR - new or used! Obviously the price difference and the performance variance between the two cars WASN'T significant enough to warrant the extra capital (..or a used alternative).

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
That is completely understandable.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 10-14-2011 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #57
Chrisfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Moped

Wow! As I stated earlier today, after sitting in a GTR I was really impressed and had thought I made a mistake not getting one. In the end, I'm very happy with my choice and do not intend to get rid of the M3 to get a GTR. However, as I've read some of the responses from the GTR owners I keep feeling like I am reading posts from Corvette owners. I don't care how wonderful those plastic pieces of crap are, I wouldn't own a Corvette, because of the stigma that comes with them. Just reading this thread makes me think the GTR owner is a lot like the Corvette owner. And I don't mean every GTR owner. The guy that let me check out his car was incredibly nice. I know I've opened myself up to some attacks, but seriously, read the post from the GTR owners here and tell me I'm wrong. Just substitute Corvette for GTR every time and I think you'll see what I'm seeing.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #58
benn.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

lol i'm actually selling my m3 .. cause I'm staying in Switzerland for a year
picking up a 2013 gtr when i get back in the states
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #59
benn.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfast View Post
Wow! As I stated earlier today, after sitting in a GTR I was really impressed and had thought I made a mistake not getting one. In the end, I'm very happy with my choice and do not intend to get rid of the M3 to get a GTR. However, as I've read some of the responses from the GTR owners I keep feeling like I am reading posts from Corvette owners. I don't care how wonderful those plastic pieces of crap are, I wouldn't own a Corvette, because of the stigma that comes with them. Just reading this thread makes me think the GTR owner is a lot like the Corvette owner. And I don't mean every GTR owner. The guy that let me check out his car was incredibly nice. I know I've opened myself up to some attacks, but seriously, read the post from the GTR owners here and tell me I'm wrong. Just substitute Corvette for GTR every time and I think you'll see what I'm seeing.

btw.. guess you didnt hear of the m3/ bmw driver stigmas lol...
i don't think you've notied the many ignorant people posting on this forum
not saying everybody is..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #60
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
I think this thread has brought out the worst in both owners...I wish it would simply get deleted so it doesn't keep coming to the top of the board. Given that these cars are both very expensive (in the realm of automobiles), I'd assume that the kind of people who buy them would be capable of reasonable discourse. I was willing to read this thread because this exact decision was something I debated in my own mind, and was interested in reading people's responses. I almost regret it now, and feel bad for the OP.

I must say that I'm amazed that someone can start a profile on this site and have already basically picked a street fight in under 10 posts...and then have the ironic capacity to say that the reason this blog isn't respected anymore is because of people who are rude, etc. It's like taking a turd on someone's lawn and then telling the homeowner how awful their lawn is because it smells like shit. That's impressive.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #61
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
You must've skipped all of US///M3 posts.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #62
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
You must've skipped all of US///M3 posts.

Erio threw the first literary jab! What did you expect to occur? Articulation is the key term here gentlemen (..and many forum members - in general - aren't very good at it).

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 10-14-2011 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #63
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benn. View Post
btw.. guess you didnt hear of the m3/ bmw driver stigmas lol...
i don't think you've notied the many ignorant people posting on this forum
not saying everybody is..
The GT-R driver stigma,is usually a guy who wants exclusivity but can't afford a Porsche 911 turbo/Lambo etc. but settled for a used GT-R rather than a new more practical M3. Not all though,there are some down to earth GT-R owners as well who aren't attention whores.The ones with the used GT-R's tend to be the worst offenders.hahahaha!

The GT-R is the new Honda NSX...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #64
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

I think the performance of the GT-R is mind boggling....it's also insane at that price point. I also dig the design of the car since it's very unique looking. But if I literally had 70-90k to throw down on a car, whether my money or someone else's, I'd find it incredibly difficult to pull the trigger on a GT-R.

If it were my only car, I'd want something more refined both inside and out. I drive to work in a suit and tie daily and simply don't want or need the value in my car to be purely on the performance side. If I were ever going to look at a new M3 vs used car, the used car would be a 997.2 Carrera S. Even still, I'd probably go with the M3 since it's a new car.

The GT-R is a weird car for me because for something that never fails to turn my head and get so much respect from myself and others, it's a car I'd only actually buy if I had all the other cars I wanted. I'd have to have a 997.2 GT3, an M5, an M3, an SUV, and possibly an Aston Martin DBS before I decide, yea, I guess I need this car in my garage too.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #65
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I think the performance of the GT-R is mind boggling....it's also insane at that price point. I also dig the design of the car since it's very unique looking. But if I literally had 70-90k to throw down on a car, whether my money or someone else's, I'd find it incredibly difficult to pull the trigger on a GT-R.

If it were my only car, I'd want something more refined both inside and out. I drive to work in a suit and tie daily and simply don't want or need the value in my car to be purely on the performance side. If I were ever going to look at a new M3 vs used car, the used car would be a 997.2 Carrera S. Even still, I'd probably go with the M3 since it's a new car.

The GT-R is a weird car for me because for something that never fails to turn my head and get so much respect from myself and others, it's a car I'd only actually buy if I had all the other cars I wanted. I'd have to have a 997.2 GT3, an M5, an M3, an SUV, and possibly an Aston Martin DBS before I decide, yea, I guess I need this car in my garage too.
My sentiments exactly, especially the bold-faced text (..my SUV would likely be a Range Rover Sport and I'd have a Ferrari instead of an Aston; the Aston is a nice car though).

Even then, I'd rather have an R33 or R34 instead of an R35.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 10-14-2011 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #66
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I share your perspective. Especially the bold-faced text.
haha right? I guess I'm not so much of a performance junkie that it's all I value in a car. Its like my buddy who only like girls with huge asses. Or my other buddy who only will talk to girls with a big rack. Me? Give me a well rounded girl who's got it all but not too much or too little of one thing only.
The M3 is the latter. The R35 is all tits.
Appreciate 0