BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

12-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Arrow GPS based Lap Timers

Is anybody on the boar using a GPS based Lap Timer ? I am looking for something small, not too expensive, easy to use and preferably a single unit system.

I came across this system " Starlane Athon " but would like to see if there is anything else out there.

Please post your suggestions, reviews or feedback
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Do you have an Iphone cuz "there's an app for that", sorry couldnt resist.

There are actually a few apps for the iphone that have GPS based timing, I have tried a couple and was told about another that is really good, just cant remember the name. I can find out.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
It's always kind of shocked me how much GPS lap timers cost. I'm looking at buying the new one that chase cam develped and link it with one of their cameras. I thought about HD, but I'm not sure if the size of the file is worth it. Look for a used traqmate or something.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

If u have a DROID - there is an app called "trackmaster" - used it - very accurate and worked well for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: r53 s65e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Do you have an Iphone cuz "there's an app for that", sorry couldnt resist.

There are actually a few apps for the iphone that have GPS based timing, I have tried a couple and was told about another that is really good, just cant remember the name. I can find out.
Are you referring to Rev? I tried it (not on track, because I don't know how to mount the iphone safely yet). http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

The lite version has a trackday timer, that basically times a lap every time you pass from roughly the same spot. The full version does other cool stuff too.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r53s65e90 View Post
Are you referring to Rev? I tried it (not on track, because I don't know how to mount the iphone safely yet). http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

The lite version has a trackday timer, that basically times a lap every time you pass from roughly the same spot. The full version does other cool stuff too.
I actually have Rev and Dash Command - both are able to connect to your car via OBDII (I have a kiwi wifi). I havent spent much time with it yet at the track, but at first glance Rev seems pretty good.

The one that was recommended to me is:

http://www.appstorehq.com/harry-slap...hone-30314/app

But I have no idea if its better or worse than Rev.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
cchan
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 328i/'11 C2S/'04 GT3

The iPhone only samples GPS locations about 1x per second and the built-in antenna isn't the most accurate, so be aware of those limitations. Apps like Harry's give a good taste of data acquisition though, especially for the price. I have a G2X system, but if I was going the lowest cost route, that would be the one I would use.

Next step up, you can also look at the G-Tech, that looks similar in price range to the Starlane you mentioned. But it looks like you suction mount it to the windshield, which is a no-no in a lot of track groups, including BMWCCA.

Of course, if you want to spend more, it might be worth stepping up to a Traqmate or G2X system ($700-1k new).

But it all really depends on what your data collection and analysis goals are vs. cost. If you are very casual and only want to get an idea of how fast you went around a track, an iPhone app would probably do. But just a lap time won't really give you useful information about what you can improve on if that is a goal. If you are trying to analyze how well you are driving and where you can improve, I'd say that recording in-car video is a step better because it will show you what you were doing (i.e. steering inputs) and where you were on the track. Then the next step up is data aq so you can measure how much of the performance envelope (friction circle) you are using, not just a lap time.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
8INTO3=M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe -- Interlagos Blue

I have the Performance Box by Racelogic. Nice piece. Simple and fairly inexpensive at $500. Easy software to deconstruct hot laps.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchan View Post
The iPhone only samples GPS locations about 1x per second and the built-in antenna isn't the most accurate, so be aware of those limitations. Apps like Harry's give a good taste of data acquisition though, especially for the price. I have a G2X system, but if I was going the lowest cost route, that would be the one I would use.

Next step up, you can also look at the G-Tech, that looks similar in price range to the Starlane you mentioned. But it looks like you suction mount it to the windshield, which is a no-no in a lot of track groups, including BMWCCA.

Of course, if you want to spend more, it might be worth stepping up to a Traqmate or G2X system ($700-1k new).

But it all really depends on what your data collection and analysis goals are vs. cost. If you are very casual and only want to get an idea of how fast you went around a track, an iPhone app would probably do. But just a lap time won't really give you useful information about what you can improve on if that is a goal. If you are trying to analyze how well you are driving and where you can improve, I'd say that recording in-car video is a step better because it will show you what you were doing (i.e. steering inputs) and where you were on the track. Then the next step up is data aq so you can measure how much of the performance envelope (friction circle) you are using, not just a lap time.
thank you for the informative post
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchan View Post
The iPhone only samples GPS locations about 1x per second and the built-in antenna isn't the most accurate, so be aware of those limitations. Apps like Harry's give a good taste of data acquisition though, especially
I have not used any lap timing systems myself. However the above limitations seem like a deal breaker to me. Given a lot of mods can affect your car on the order of 1-2 seconds per minute a 1 Hz sample compounded by a position inaccuracy does not seem suitable to really get an accurate enough laptime. Of course the proof is in the pudding and a comparison between a "real" system and the iPhone based system would be great.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

I've owned the g2x and traqmate. The traqmate is far easier to use and integrate with video, if thats your thing. But you know what, I still prefer my simple track-side IR beacon timer. Its a XT racing UltraLap and I love it - turn it on in the AM, it auto starts on track, and the display is big enough to glance at.
      12-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #12
QTRM3
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2008 6MT

That exactly what I was looking for recently .... thanks Alekshop for starting the thread.

Great info's thanks.

Remus Race Exhaust, AA X-Pipe Castles, AA SSK, AA ECU Tune, Evo Sport Pulleys, AFE Filter & Air Scope, HRE P40 20, H&R Springs ...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
cchan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I have not used any lap timing systems myself. However the above limitations seem like a deal breaker to me. Given a lot of mods can affect your car on the order of 1-2 seconds per minute a 1 Hz sample compounded by a position inaccuracy does not seem suitable to really get an accurate enough laptime. Of course the proof is in the pudding and a comparison between a "real" system and the iPhone based system would be great.
I would agree, to the extent that if one is trying to analyze a mod that affects lap times by only a second or less, the iPhone is obviously not accurate enough. But to be fair, I'd say calling it a "deal breaker" may be a bit extreme - I think if all you want is a ballpark lap time it is close enough, for a cost of only a few bucks. I think anyone who really needs high accuracy lap times is going to be getting to a pro/am racing level and thus probably has a data aq/racing budget that is going to support more than just the cost of an iPhone app!

I am curious too, and one of these days when I have some free time, plunk down a few bucks for the app and compare its accuracy to my G2X.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Are you particularly looking for GPS only? If not, take a look at the AIM beacon lap timer or AMB Blind Apex timer. The Blind Apex system goes off of the tracks AMB lap timer if they are using that. The AIM beacon has its own receiver in which you put at the start/finish of the track.

-Charles@VMRWheels
      12-19-2009, 12:41 AM   #15
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

What I am looking for is a single unit system that doesn't require to run wires, have a multiple boxes here and there ...

iPhone apps are great but are not very accurate.

It looks like Starlane Athon is the winner! I'll order one for my car and report back
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

I really encourage you to consider something more advanced than a lap timer. Being able to see velocity vs. position on the track and multiple laps overlayed helped me a lot when learning to drive faster. It was probably had the biggest impact on helping me find the last couple of seconds on my fastest lap time, combined with video it's even better because it documents you experimentation with different lines and cadances. Driving to increase your lap times with a traditional timer is only going to frustrate you with only the lap time as an input. Most people get slower at first because they start deliberately driving "harder" vs. faster. When that happens, having the data to tell you what you are doing wrong is super helpful.

The G2X is the best unit I've tried, though the software is not as easy to use or feature rich as the Traqmate. The thing that makes it better is its accuracy and simplicity while in the car. I found lap times data comparable even spanning months, where as the traqmate is so sensitive to drift and clean GPS data that I found it nearly impossible to compare data week to week. I ended up selling my traqmate because it got to the point that the it was not worth my time trying to get all the data cleaned up and lined up while in between run sessions, plus the video integration still has some bugs that make it hard to align the video with the data unless you turn everything while on the track at speed. I'm a stickler for accuracy because 0.1 second difference in a corner is where you build improvements.

There are some new units coming out (AiM has the first one) that combine video capture with data capture in the same unit, more expensive, but hopefully a better overall experiance. I've spent a lot of time pouring through data over the past 5 years and using it as a tool to helpself and students. Let me know if there is any way I can help you.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #17
cchan
Private
Rep

The downside of a single contained unit is that the GPS antenna is inside the unit. That means that you will need to mount it close to the windshield for it to work, which could be a problem. All the other systems use an external antenna which allows more mounting options and is going to result in more accurate position data.

I looked up the Starlane, looks like it was designed for motorbikes - so no car roof to interfere with getting GPS signals. 5Hz GPS, which is better than the iPhone, but I think the G2X and Traqmate are all at least 10Hz. I also noticed the Starlane is GPS only, no accelerometers. Makes sense given bikes are going to be leaning. I think the other systems use the accelerometers to refine the GPS positioning data in between points. Overall the Starlane seems rather expensive to me, double the price of a traditional beacon lap timer (but compactness makes sense since you can't mount a lot on a bike).

The Starlane seems to be about the same price as a Traqmate basic from my quick search. With either, you will still need to run 12V power (or you're sticking on another 9V battery box for the Starlane). With the Traqmate, you are only really adding one more wire for the GPS antenna. Not a big deal IMHO especially given that you will be getting TONS more capabilities than what the Starlane appears to offer.

If you still get the Starlane, will be interested in seeing how it works.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #18
Groundhog
Private
Rep
Drives: R-compounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
What I am looking for is a single unit system that doesn't require to run wires, have a multiple boxes here and there ...

iPhone apps are great but are not very accurate.

It looks like Starlane Athon is the winner! I'll order one for my car and report back
A very simple method that most anybody can use - and lap times are generally only accurate to the second- is using a video camera then look at times by sighting the start finish line in the video of the session.

I've been lent a v-box, and the data acquisition is granular and great, but find that useful only once all components of the car are dialed in and stable (tires warm and fresh, suspension set for the conditions, tune good, and being familiar with the track)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #19
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

The problem with timers that rely on track-side beacons is, at least if you're like me, that you drive home at the end of the day only to realize you left the beacon and tripod standing by the track

I've done this countless times, even when I leave myself a note as a reminder to pick it up!
      12-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #20
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Quote:
that you drive home at the end of the day only to realize you left the beacon and tripod
That is almost as bad as arriving home only to discover no race car is on the trailer
Happy holidays all.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #21
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
The problem with timers that rely on track-side beacons is, at least if you're like me, that you drive home at the end of the day only to realize you left the beacon and tripod standing by the track

I've done this countless times, even when I leave myself a note as a reminder to pick it up!
That is why you bring a helper and tape the beacon to their head and tell them to stand in the same place all day
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
That is why you bring a helper and tape the beacon to their head and tell them to stand in the same place all day
I see you finally caught on - that's why a bring you to the track!
Appreciate 0