E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Road Angel and Sat Nav

02-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sports

Road Angel and Sat Nav

When my 320d arrives in a few weeks I am planning on getting a road angel and after market sat nav for it. Has anyone already got a road angel, and what do you think of it. Also, any recomendations on a good Sat Nav (was thinking about going down the PDA route as this could be handy for other things, but not essential). Also, I gather there may be a combined road angel/sat nav on the market. Anyone used this or do you know how good it is.

Thanks.
      02-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
Hi,

I have the New Road Angel and its great. Saved me on a number of ocassions. They have a new one out now called the Road Angel Navigator check here ... http://www.blackspot.com/products/ro...tor/index.html
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Thanks for the reply. When I get some time off work I am going to do some proper research. I saw the new navigator advertised, and would be pretty interested in it to save having two bits of equipment, as long as it is actually a decent sat nav that is. I will let you know what I find out when I have a look.
      03-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
DJ J Purple
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318iSE - Black

Tom Tom Go fitting

Could anybody tell me the best place to fit the Tom Tom Go, with or without the window mounted cradle, as I;m taking delivery of my BMW in a couple of weeks and want to install in the best place with little/ no wiring showing. If possible took away the charger out of site.

Hope somebody can help!!

Thx

DJ J Purple
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
paddywac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d m sport

Garage List
i have a road angel, am a company car driver and have saved myself 3 points for definate (detected mobile van camera when deffo exceeding limit) using road angel although I am thinking about changing and upgrading my roadangel for road angel navigator, reasons, only 1 piece of equip, but must have mobile camera detection.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Paddy, I might have to talk to you about this further. I was thinking about road angel navigator for that exact reason, and would reallly like to be able to detect the mobile ones as well. When are you thinking of upgrading? Sometime soon?
      03-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
paddywac
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
yes soon. I have had a letter from the company I bought my road angel from offering me a discounted upgrade price of 299 if I return my current road angel, need to check if it has a laser detector

check out naonline.co.uk

I will let you know if i upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Thanks
      03-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
matthewr
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i M-Sport

Say no to Road Angel , Indago's the way to go..

Guys, just joined and saw your posts about the road angel navigator, hope you haven't got one yet.. I've been an avid user of the road angel products up to now and thought they were the best of the best, however then came the navigator..... Its a great first try but the road angel navigator has been let down by one main thing, the CoPilot GPS software, its crap! I upgraded to one and used it for about a week, the software crashed and gave me wrong directions and its so flaky.. I even got an e-mail from the supplier to say that if he had a choice then he wouldn't touch it...! So I am the proud owner of a Snooper Indago now, don't get me wrong I prefer Road Angel to snooper anytime... but now. The Indago is fan-bloody-tastic, it does everything it says on the box, and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #10
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr
Guys, just joined and saw your posts about the road angel navigator, hope you haven't got one yet.. I've been an avid user of the road angel products up to now and thought they were the best of the best, however then came the navigator..... Its a great first try but the road angel navigator has been let down by one main thing, the CoPilot GPS software, its crap! I upgraded to one and used it for about a week, the software crashed and gave me wrong directions and its so flaky.. I even got an e-mail from the supplier to say that if he had a choice then he wouldn't touch it...! So I am the proud owner of a Snooper Indago now, don't get me wrong I prefer Road Angel to snooper anytime... but now. The Indago is fan-bloody-tastic, it does everything it says on the box, and more...
Thanks for that. Still havent invested yet and am going to start having a proper look in a week or so when back from holidays. Liked the idea of the navigator as it is all in one - dont exactly want loads of bits of equipment dangling of the windscreen.

Let us know how the Indago goes, if you have any problems etc.
      03-14-2006, 07:49 AM   #11
matthewr
Rep

Indago

Hi, glad you haven't wasted your money on the Road Angel Navigator. If you look at www.networxautomotive.com they do a special deal where you can pay interest free for a number of months, i've used these guys for about my last 4 or 5 upgrades! Just give them your credit card number, they debit one payment (normally a 3rd or 1/4 of the price), send you the unit and then monthly they debit the payments until all paid. You can't go wrong! Also take a look at http://snooper.intranetics.co.uk/snooper-indago.htm or even http://www.indagosatnav.com/ for more info.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #12
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

OK matt, thanks for that. Just about to go away for a few days so probably no time to look now but will let you know how i get on.
      03-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #13
0003SAS
Rep
Drives: Electric Red 320d Touring

Garage List
Hi there, just picked up this thread and thought I'd add to the pot!

Having read several forums on the subject I eventually went for a Tom Tom Go. I based the decision on a variety of reasons as follows:

I needed a sat nav unit.
I needed safety camera! notification.
I wanted a single unit rather than several seperates.
I knew that there was no point in having a unit with Laser detection as they are both unreliable and unable to give you enough warning (unless of course your reactions are quicker than 0.3sec)

I then compared several different units (3 different ones, borrowed from my work colleagues, over several weeks)

I finally settled on the Tom Tom as it had the best graphics, the most up todate safety camera/mobile camera data base (free update every month)and the quickest response to route changes and battery life etc.

The only down side of note is its physical size. (although it does impress the girls if you walk about with it in you trouser pocket!!!!)

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #14
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Thanks again. I was under the impression Tom Tom was pretty much one of the best for sat nav. All I will have to do then is look for room in my trouser pocket. It doesnt give off high levels of radiation does it when it is not in use . I dont know if saying 'Look girls, you can see it in the dark!' will be as impressive as the sight of the initial bulge
      03-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #15
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Off topic, but you may like to read some of the news stories on the Motorcycles news website related to speed traps and cameras, particularly:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?pa...EWS_OTHER-NEWS

They are questioning the accuracy of laser speed devices and also the manner in which people are then prosecuted. The emphasis is of course towards bikes, but some of it is still interesting.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #16
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Thanks. Useful information. Would like to see the full article if anyone has it.
      03-15-2006, 05:03 AM   #17
matthewr
Rep

I've heard that Snooper are just about to bring out a new version of the Indago which has built-in BLuetooth for answering your mobile phone and also picking up the latest traffic news and relaying it to your route on the Indago, sounds cool.
Have a good holiday Flyingdwarf.
      03-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #18
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr
I've heard that Snooper are just about to bring out a new version of the Indago which has built-in BLuetooth for answering your mobile phone and also picking up the latest traffic news and relaying it to your route on the Indago, sounds cool.
Have a good holiday Flyingdwarf.
Oooh, now that sounds even better.

Thanks, but the holiday is almost over. The flight back is going to be unbearable as I pick up the car the day after I get back. Going to be like waiting for santa to come down the chimney!
      03-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #19
paddywac
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
From sounds of it road angel navi is crap from all the feedback you lot are offering. Like flyin dwarf i like the idea of one unit plug and playbut I really think the laser detector is a must.

I have to disagree with you 0003SAS my road angel (laser)tripped when I was deffo 10-15 mph over the limit and never got the ticket, from a good distance as well, I realise this does not prove 100% reliability but makes me feel better
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #20
0003SAS
Rep
Drives: Electric Red 320d Touring

Garage List
paadywac, I would guess that you may not have been the target of the laser operator. Making you very lucky indeed.

From all the evidence I've read and following discussions with the P.C who got me last year for doing 71 in a 60 zone it is clear from the evidence that the moment the laser hits on your vehicle and the operator presses the trigger, you have only 0.3 sec to slow down before the laser records your speed.
Also don't forget that the laser is normally aimed at a flat surface on the front of your car i.e the number plate. As the laser beam is still small in cross section, even at long range and has very little scatter then most dectectors sited on dashboards will never pick up any trace until it is to late!

This lead me to believe that the chance of any detector being reliable enough to pick up the dreaded laser was so small that it was preferable to have a unit that at least warned me of areas that lasers were known to be in operation. Leaving me to choose wether or not to slow down.

Hence my choice of the TT Go.

Drive with care. 0003SAS
      03-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #21
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0003SAS
This lead me to believe that the chance of any detector being reliable enough to pick up the dreaded laser was so small that it was preferable to have a unit that at least warned me of areas that lasers were known to be in operation. Leaving me to choose wether or not to slow down.

I had a good look at the Indago website the other day and they claim to have the same thing, with the unit indicating known areas of mobile camera/laser use. No sign of the bluetooth that mathewr was refering to though I am afraid, so maybe the TT Go is the way to go (no pun intended).
      03-25-2006, 04:12 AM   #22
paddywac
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0003SAS
paadywac, I would guess that you may not have been the target of the laser operator. Making you very lucky indeed.

From all the evidence I've read and following discussions with the P.C who got me last year for doing 71 in a 60 zone it is clear from the evidence that the moment the laser hits on your vehicle and the operator presses the trigger, you have only 0.3 sec to slow down before the laser records your speed.
Also don't forget that the laser is normally aimed at a flat surface on the front of your car i.e the number plate. As the laser beam is still small in cross section, even at long range and has very little scatter then most dectectors sited on dashboards will never pick up any trace until it is to late!

Drive with care. 0003SAS
Hmmm didn't know the time detection bit was that quick, thought they had to time you over a distance, however was deffo the target car, was actually on the a66 heading for Brough in Cumbria, I was lead car of two as I came over a rise and immediately my road angel sprang into life, was doing 85 or so on two lane dual carriage way, not sure what to think now
Appreciate 0