BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

10-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

minimum thickness

im running oem rotors with rs19s right now and my fronts are close to the magic 28.4 minumum thickness. what is the danger of running below that number? my thinking is that if you run well below it say under 27mm and you have worn your pads to a minimum thickness as well you run the risk of the calipers not being able to clap down enough and get a brake failure? by that logic as long as your pads are of significant thickness going under 28.4 wont matter. my rs19s are brand new so almost twice as thick as OEMs. Is what i am saying correct? thanks

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

That can happen, but it is my understanding that the minimum thickness is also the point at which the rotor may lose structural integrity. I know on my old E46 the rotors were just in general crummy condition at min thickness. I personally wouldn't run rotors below min thickness long at all, regardless of pad thickness. Your call as to whether to roll the dice.

Sounds like a good excuse for a bbk if you're out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
That can happen, but it is my understanding that the minimum thickness is also the point at which the rotor may lose structural integrity. I know on my old E46 the rotors were just in general crummy condition at min thickness. I personally wouldn't run rotors below min thickness long at all, regardless of pad thickness. Your call as to whether to roll the dice.

Sounds like a good excuse for a bbk if you're out of warranty.
im not really a roll the dice kind of guy so will probably get new rings. It may sound funny but im actually trying to make my car as quick at the track as possible with stock suspension and brakes. weird goal i guess but thats what im shooting for at this point. although i do have upgraded pads, fluid, stainless lines, brake ducts ad08s, challenge sport, evolve stage 2 and vorshlag camber plates. kinda bending the rules but i still consider that stock unless i get coils or BBK.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
im not really a roll the dice kind of guy so will probably get new rings. It may sound funny but im actually trying to make my car as quick at the track as possible with stock suspension and brakes. weird goal i guess but thats what im shooting for at this point. although i do have upgraded pads, fluid, stainless lines, brake ducts ad08s, challenge sport, evolve stage 2 and vorshlag camber plates. kinda bending the rules but i still consider that stock unless i get coils or BBK.
To each their own, but I enjoy my car on track more with the coilovers and stuff. It isn't like there's some class keeping me stock and I enjoy it more the way it is. It just feels more planted and allows you to power down sooner etc.

Mine is stock compared to a stripped out track car
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
To each their own, but I enjoy my car on track more with the coilovers and stuff. It isn't like there's some class keeping me stock and I enjoy it more the way it is. It just feels more planted and allows you to power down sooner etc.

Mine is stock compared to a stripped out track car
i guess its a way to keep cost down on mods for me also. i would like recaro seats, coilovers, bbk, and SC but im still getting quicker because of better driving not because i threw the price of used cayman s at it worth of parts. i probably will get to that point down the road but im making small incrimental changes for now and trying to get bang for the buck. also dont want to make my car something i dont enjoy anymore on the street because it has become so track oriented. I think pads, camber plates, harness, data logger, ducts, and the ad08s have all been very benificial.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
rzm3
Rep

I would change them out as they approach the min. thickness of 28.40. Will your rotor suddenly crack at 28.39mm? Probably not, but safety always comes first

I am sure you can find many used rotors for a great price for sale on the market.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I might have a set of OEM rotors for sale soon. I'll PM you when I find out.

The biggest issue I see is structural integrity especially with drilled rotors. My experience is that heat cracking becomes more of an issue as the rotors become thinner. Not too bad with slotted but terrible with drilled rotors.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Okay let me know about your set for sale. On my inspection they don't look cracked yet around the drilled portion and have worn pretty well. Right now they are in the 28.8 range. Didn't check the rears. Just was taking a quick look when switching to new set of ad08s.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

What's the min thickness you can the Pagid pads?
      10-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

not sure what your supposed to do but i generally shoot for 2mm. that number seems to prevent wear thru of the brake pad indicator.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
The biggest issue I see is structural integrity especially with drilled rotors. My experience is that heat cracking becomes more of an issue as the rotors become thinner. Not too bad with slotted but terrible with drilled rotors.
Good point, I forgot about that. Worn slotted rotors are less dangerous than worn drilled rotors.
Appreciate 0