BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Worth getting 240E BMW software with DINAN Stage II?

Fella's,

My M3 has old software, not sure which but its not the latest 240E (correct numbering??) and its got the DINAN Stage II software. So would it be worth getting it? What will be the benefits of getting my dealer to install it? So far there are no problems with my M so I'd have to pay for it.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Fella's,

My M3 has old software, not sure which but its not the latest 240E (correct numbering??) and its got the DINAN Stage II software. So would it be worth getting it? What will be the benefits of getting my dealer to install it? So far there are no problems with my M so I'd have to pay for it.

Cheers,
Rob
Mike Benvo from BPM Sport will be able to do it a lot cheaper than what the dealer would. Also dealer programming may replace the Dinan coding. I suggest you contact Mike and ask him what's the best option. I am sure he can provide you 240E ... but for $$$$s.
      12-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I believe the latest tuned software they offer is 231E. So if you were updated to 240, they would flash back to their 231E tuned.

This is as of the last time I checked a couple months ago.

It would be worth getting the update if you're on really old software, or you can get the update and BPM tune from us.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Personally, I don't think you'd get much benefit at all pending what version you have.

It might be best to speak with Dinan directly and see if they can send you an updated 240E Tuned version of their software. Granted, I have no idea how that would work with the dealer considering they don't offer a personal flashing solution like all the other tuners sponsoring the forums, but this might be the most affordable route to take. Hopefully Dinan offers some sort of customer loyalty support?

I went from dealer flashed 220E to 231E, back to 220E, then to 240E. From my driving experience, I honestly felt zero difference amongst the three different versions. This is probably due to switching amongst later version, not the older 1XXE versions out there.

Fortunately, if you decide to go with a different tuner all together, all of them can provide 240E updates for their clients. Bimmerpost is sponsored by tuners who provide great setups, lots of great options here with truly no limitation in choice. Few of them have truly R&D'd their own tune for the MSS60 through lots of street/track testing, data logging, and in-house dyno development.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Personally, I don't think you'd get much benefit at all pending what version you have.

It might be best to speak with Dinan directly and see if they can send you an updated 240E Tuned version of their software. Granted, I have no idea how that would work with the dealer considering they don't offer a personal flashing solution like all the other tuners sponsoring the forums, but this might be the most affordable route to take. Hopefully Dinan offers some sort of customer loyalty support?

I went from dealer flashed 220E to 231E, back to 220E, then to 240E. From my driving experience, I honestly felt zero difference amongst the three different versions. This is probably due to switching amongst later version, not the older 1XXE versions out there.

Fortunately, if you decide to go with a different tuner all together, all of them can provide 240E updates for their clients. Bimmerpost is sponsored by tuners who provide great setups, lots of great options here with truly no limitation in choice. Few of them have truly R&D'd their own tune for the MSS60 through lots of street/track testing, data logging, and in-house dyno development.
Being that he has a 2008, depending on when he purchased his DINAN flash, he's probably still on older software. I don't think they update your software version but rather tune you on the version you are on - but you would have to defer to DINAN for this.

I had a customer tuned by us on 240E that had an aggressive DINAN diff and the DCT was acting weird. Dinan Claimed they could fix it. The DME was sent off, and the problems were worse upon re-installation. He brought the car back for us to tune it again, and we had to update it to 240E as DINAN had downgraded the software to 231E (presumably because their latest tuned software is 231E).

There are many tuners on here that have R&D's their tune on the street and track, employing datalogging. An in house dyno is not relevant - a dyno is a dyno and it doesn't matter where it is located as long as you make valid comparisons.

OP: Perhaps these links may help:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825012
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...-bpmsport.html
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780338

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Thanks fella's for the replies. I should have stated also that my BMW dealer here in Albuquerque is also a DINAN dealer and installed my DINAN STG II software. So if I stay with DINAN, I'll get them to flash with the latest BMW software and then they'll re-download and tune my DINAN II software. If I decide to go with Mike's tune, then I'll have him do it.

But overall my question was if I stay with DINAN, will the latest BMW software perform better overall? IOW, am I going to even feel/realize there is a new software update and better performance?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Thanks fella's for the replies. I should have stated also that my BMW dealer here in Albuquerque is also a DINAN dealer and installed my DINAN STG II software. So if I stay with DINAN, I'll get them to flash with the latest BMW software and then they'll re-download and tune my DINAN II software. If I decide to go with Mike's tune, then I'll have him do it.

But overall my question was if I stay with DINAN, will the latest BMW software perform better overall? IOW, am I going to even feel/realize there is a new software update and better performance?

Cheers,
Any time man! The beauty of the forum is being able to share difference of opinions, hopefully in a respectful manner.

I personally think, from my own experience, that you would only benefit if you have a much older software version. Your dealer should be able to help if you inquire about it. Pending that result, then I would ask DINAN if they can offer some sort of update. From my experience, I never felt a difference as I had my dealer update my software revision. When I first got my E90 M3 in 08.2009, I did have a DCT issue. My dealer update my MSS60 and GS40 to BMW's latest revision at the time. Even then, I only felt a difference with the DCT, not motor.

Otherwise, if you feel the necessity to spend money on a whole new tune, there are lots of forum sponsors to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Being that he has a 2008, depending on when he purchased his DINAN flash, he's probably still on older software. I don't think they update your software version but rather tune you on the version you are on - but you would have to defer to DINAN for this.
Agreed. Chatting with DINAN is probably best.

Quote:
I had a customer tuned by us on 240E that had an aggressive DINAN diff and the DCT was acting weird. Dinan Claimed they could fix it. The DME was sent off, and the problems were worse upon re-installation. He brought the car back for us to tune it again, and we had to update it to 240E as DINAN had downgraded the software to 231E (presumably because their latest tuned software is 231E).
Great to know your client's car got sorted out. I'd imagine that to be rather frustrating.

Quote:
There are many tuners on here that have R&D's their tune on the street and track, employing datalogging. An in house dyno is not relevant - a dyno is a dyno and it doesn't matter where it is located as long as you make valid comparisons.
In my humble opinion, from the perspective as a consumer and car enthusiast, I personally would never call an in-house dyno as irrelevant. Please understand that I don't have much first hand experience tuning cars, calibrating DMEs, or being a professional tuner. But throughout my many years in the car community, whether it be Domestic, Import, and European, EVERY single tuner I met has always expressed to me how crucial having an in-house dyno can be for development.

By no means belittling the fact that anyone can rent a dyno, but it just seems much more convenient and time worthy for a specialized expert to invest in a dyno for their own product development even with how expensive they are. Having access to control parameters in a controlled environment, gives an individual the clear opportunity to focus on tuning calibration. No worry about variance on the street or track environment. Eliminates some of the weather conditions (snow, rain, etc). No worry about rental rates or time restrictions of another party's facility.

The way I see it, and I'm just one opinion out of the billions in the world, is that having focussed attention and near unlimited utilization of a dyno is part of the equation of developing a solid tune. When tuners start calibrating multiple different platforms, it just seems financially wiser to have in-house dyno rather than renting one out every single time.

I'm not saying that a tuner without a dyno is a bad tuner. I'm not saying that a tuner with a dyno is always going to be the better tuner. But as a consumer, I just personally see it to be more ideal when a good tuner has an in-house dyno for their own development and research. Although I understand, that there are some who just choose to go a different route. For many of our minds, ECU/DME Tuning and Dynoing just go so hand-in-hand, of course along with street/track development.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Any time man! The beauty of the forum is being able to share difference of opinions, hopefully in a respectful manner.

I personally think, from my own experience, that you would only benefit if you have a much older software version. Your dealer should be able to help if you inquire about it. Pending that result, then I would ask DINAN if they can offer some sort of update. From my experience, I never felt a difference as I had my dealer update my software revision. When I first got my E90 M3 in 08.2009, I did have a DCT issue. My dealer update my MSS60 and GS40 to BMW's latest revision at the time. Even then, I only felt a difference with the DCT, not motor.

Otherwise, if you feel the necessity to spend money on a whole new tune, there are lots of forum sponsors to choose from.

Agreed. Chatting with DINAN is probably best.

Great to know your client's car got sorted out. I'd imagine that to be rather frustrating.

In my humble opinion, from the perspective as a consumer and car enthusiast, I personally would never call an in-house dyno as irrelevant. Please understand that I don't have much first hand experience tuning cars, calibrating DMEs, or being a professional tuner. But throughout my many years in the car community, whether it be Domestic, Import, and European, EVERY single tuner I met has always expressed to me how crucial having an in-house dyno can be for development.

By no means belittling the fact that anyone can rent a dyno, but it just seems much more convenient and time worthy for a specialized expert to invest in a dyno for their own product development even with how expensive they are. Having access to control parameters in a controlled environment, gives an individual the clear opportunity to focus on tuning calibration. No worry about variance on the street or track environment. Eliminates some of the weather conditions (snow, rain, etc). No worry about rental rates or time restrictions of another party's facility.

The way I see it, and I'm just one opinion out of the billions in the world, is that having focussed attention and near unlimited utilization of a dyno is part of the equation of developing a solid tune. When tuners start calibrating multiple different platforms, it just seems financially wiser to have in-house dyno rather than renting one out every single time.

I'm not saying that a tuner without a dyno is a bad tuner. I'm not saying that a tuner with a dyno is always going to be the better tuner. But as a consumer, I just personally see it to be more ideal when a good tuner has an in-house dyno for their own development and research. Although I understand, that there are some who just choose to go a different route. For many of our minds, ECU/DME Tuning and Dynoing just go so hand-in-hand, of course along with street/track development.

I respect what you've said. I also think that it's really important to develop tunes on the same fuel for which software is marketed to.

There are changes in fuel quality and mixture in different parts of the world.

Our software suited for UK, EU, and US regions is slightly modified to account for such variances. Developing files on an in house dyno with local fuel does not produce a calibration that is optimal for vehicles in other regions.

We've had the opportunity to test our software on Dynapack, Dynojet, Dyno Dynamics, and Mustang and BMW used MAHA dynos. Versatility and repeat-ability on various testing benches is always a plus!

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I respect what you've said. I also think that it's really important to develop tunes on the same fuel for which software is marketed to.

There are changes in fuel quality and mixture in different parts of the world.

Our software suited for UK, EU, and US regions is slightly modified to account for such variances. Developing files on an in house dyno with local fuel does not produce a calibration that is optimal for vehicles in other regions.

We've had the opportunity to test our software on Dynapack, Dynojet, Dyno Dynamics, and Mustang and BMW used MAHA dynos. Versatility and repeat-ability on various testing benches is always a plus!
100% in agreement!

Very good point about the fuel quality and mixture.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
peeti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e90

i had 231 with Dinan II - had Mike overwrite it with his stage II and 240 - worlds better. My main goal was losing the cold-start noise, but all in all the tune is as good or better and lost the cold start noise. I suggest going that route.
Appreciate 0