BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

08-03-2013, 02:59 AM   #89
Robertyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
^Thank you sir!

Sorry if I didn't respond to any posts guys, too much love in this thread im not mad though lol!

I'm not going to lie. It's pretty damn rough especially compared to my DD Lexus. It's livable and easy to get used to. I did expect this ride to be rougher than the M since I did get the optional 20" wheels. I didn't get the PASM and sometimes wish I did but I don't really take this car on harsh roads..if you are worried about the ride, i would recommend the pasm for sure.
With PASM, the Cayman S rides as compliantly as my M3 (no EDC) did in the softest setting, which is very good. The M3 with EDC in the softest setting would obviously be a tad more compliant than the 981Cs with PASM in the softest mode. If I did not live in a place with such bad roads, I might have skipped PASM.

Last edited by Robertyu; 08-03-2013 at 03:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #90
Robertyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I can get a 997.1 Turbo (which is what I absolutely want) for the same price as a low/medium optioned CaymanS. That and the fact I love my M3 is the reason I'm not quite willing to jump on the Cayman yet.

However, in the future when people dump them for half price, absolutely
I looked at some 997.1 Turbos online. I could not find any Turbo S's in that range, but quite a few nice non-S. However, NONE of them were in the islands, and I would have to fly to the mainland, see if the car is in good shape, and then ship it back, costing even more. I coupled all of those logistics issues with wanting the newer interior, electronics, etc., and greatly fearing owning something that expensive out of warranty. A used 911 turbo is just not for me at this time in my life as I am very busy, and cannot deal with hassle in purchase nor ownership. If I was willing to deal with all of that, I would have just gotten a used GTR, and called it a day.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #91
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertyu View Post
I looked at some 997.1 Turbos online. I could not find any Turbo S's in that range, but quite a few nice non-S. However, NONE of them were in the islands, and I would have to fly to the mainland, see if the car is in good shape, and then ship it back, costing even more. I coupled all of those logistics issues with wanting the newer interior, electronics, etc., and greatly fearing owning something that expensive out of warranty. A used 911 turbo is just not for me at this time in my life as I am very busy, and cannot deal with hassle in purchase nor ownership. If I was willing to deal with all of that, I would have just gotten a used GTR, and called it a day.
Completely understandable. But I'm not scared of maintenance as the 997.1 Turbo and the E92 M3 as they are my dream cars. It's a labor of love. Both of them are out of warranty (or will be).

The Turbo S only came as a 997.2, which is not what I'm looking for. I want a 997.1 (2007-2009) for a few reasons:
1) Looks
2) It has the Mezger engine
3) That engine can handle a ton of boost without needed to touch the internals.
4) Turbo S' only came with PDK. I only want MT

These cars range from $70-90k, which is pretty much where the Cayman S sits. Here's one of I've been drooling over for a while:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...46385139&Log=0

Luckily, I wouldn't have to ship it across the ocean. That's gotta be tough!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #92
zonda600
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
The 981 Cayman is my favorite car currently in production, of any type or price. Excellent choice and I will own one some day.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #93
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

PDK trans faster to the quarter and 0-60 than the manual with the Porche.
Good decision...I think here is the stats:
4.4 (PDK sports mode) Versus 4.7 manual...

I don't know why anyone would buy a manual to go slower, in the corvette world the manual beats the auto tran, but in the M3 and the Porche world it makes no sense to buy obsolete technology to go slower, unless you just cant afford it.

Nice buy, good decision, love the look, hate to admit it but it looks hell more sportier then the M3 for sure.
One question cause Im too lazy to look it up...does it come with back seats?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #94
savaho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

It's good to see that I'm not the only M3 owner who likes the Cayman. I test drove a white one and almost left the lot with it but my heart was really set on a black one and guess what, it's on order! I can't wait until it arrives.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #95
savaho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

"PDK trans faster to the quarter and 0-60 than the manual with the Porche.
4.4 (PDK sports mode) Versus 4.7 manual..."

How many of you guys can tell the difference going .3 seconds faster? It's all a marketing ploy to get you to spend $3K more. Besides, rowing your own gears isn't that bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #96
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by savaho View Post
It's good to see that I'm not the only M3 owner who likes the Cayman. I test drove a white one and almost left the lot with it but my heart was really set on a black one and guess what, it's on order! I can't wait until it arrives.

Grats I almost made the switch too but I think I might wait a little longer. I am really stuck on agate gray or racing yellow.
      08-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #97
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steal View Post
No
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #98
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Why would anybody choose the 7MT over PDK when the automatic is so much faster? 0.3 seconds. Seriously? If 0-60 would be so important to me I would've bought a GT-R.

Some folks prefer manual over automatic, it is a different driving style and feel. Saying that people might not be able to afford PDK is a borderline retarded statement... if you spend $120K on a car already, an extra $3K hardly plays a role.

But maybe some folks buy PDK because they can't drive a manual car.
there you go again being politcally incorrect. mdosu may take offense.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #99
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry... I should have not said 'automatic'. I apologize.
nice i see what you did there. is yours pdk?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #100
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steal View Post
PDK trans faster to the quarter and 0-60 than the manual with the Porche.
4.4 (PDK sports mode) Versus 4.7 manual...

I don't know why anyone would buy a manual to go slower, in the corvette world the manual beats the auto tran, but in the M3 and the Porche world it makes no sense to buy obsolete technology to go slower, unless you just cant afford it.

Nice buy, good decision, love the look, hate to admit it but it looks hell more sportier then the M3 for sure.
Stupidest thing I've read today. Yes, all us MT drivers chose MT because we couldn't afford to go dual clutch.

Guess what, a used GT-R is cheaper than a new PDK Cayman S. Why didn't you go for that? Because the tenths of a second is all that matters.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #101
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the 7MT, PDK makes your vagina smell bad.
Eat pineapples - drive PDK!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #102
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Why would anybody choose the 7MT over PDK when the automatic is so much faster? 0.3 seconds. Seriously? If 0-60 would be so important to me I would've bought a GT-R.

Some folks prefer manual over automatic, it is a different driving style and feel. Saying that people might not be able to afford PDK is a borderline retarded statement... if you spend $120K on a car already, an extra $3K hardly plays a role.

But maybe some folks buy PDK because they can't drive a manual car.

Don't get me wrong, I was a manual driver my whole life. Maybe its my background, so forgive me, but as previous owner of a Corvette that was manual, that I modified myself to attain over 700 hp - I don't get it? Not caring about tenths of a second would get you shunned in the Corvette world....lol. We did everything we could to get every tenth we could. But then we were really going to the track.... Modifications that cost thousands typically take off tenths of seconds, races are won typically by tenths of a second. The sad thing is the reported .3 second difference was achieved by professional drivers rowing the gears to get those times. The typical (non professional who I guess, doesn't care about speed) on the road rowing the gears, is probably a half second or more behind the PDK making it a even larger difference.
....off my soap box. If you would rather drive a slower car for the feel? Than more power to you...

Last edited by Cool Steel; 08-14-2013 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #103
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
good man. keep that think clean.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #104
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

NP = natural progression.

I like the new Porsche line up completely. They did a great job IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #105
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Quote:
Haha you made my day with this one!
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #106
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I douche on a regular basis.
I meant your car, not vagina. Work on both is advised though.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #107
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Your car probably is a substitute for box. Get in and have some fun daily.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #108
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

so anyways...nice Cayman S
Appreciate 0