BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

07-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Krockit1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Wisconsin Emissions and Exhaust mods

Anyone have any failed WI DMV emissions tests with ACM OEM muffler mods, or Eisenmann axle back? How about full Akrapovic? Checked the thread on this subject but no Wisconsin data. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

If your car is throwing a check engine light due to emissions than you will fail. Axel back ehaust, deleting the secondary exhaust, or doing an exhaust will NOT result in a CEL. If you do a full Akra with cat deletes you WILL fail emissions and throw a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Krockit1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for that info. I figured cat delete sends up the red flag. My plan is to run the new ESS axle back. Great note, and it tucks up under the car really nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tareemaa View Post
If your car is throwing a check engine light due to emissions than you will fail. Axel back ehaust, deleting the secondary exhaust, or doing an exhaust will NOT result in a CEL. If you do a full Akra with cat deletes you WILL fail emissions and throw a CEL.
you can run a full exhaust with a tune and pass. How is your car sounding with the ACM mod?

And OP, would love to hear the ESS when you get it
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Axlebacks will not cause you to fail since you still have both primary and secondary cats. You are merely just changing the tone of the exhaust with an Axleback. That is given for any state (even California).

As for having a cat delete...then it depends what the inspection criteria is...even with a tune and no CEL, if they do a sniffer test, you will most likely fail. Same with under-car inspection. Every state (county) is different in this repect.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Krockit1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Turns out I will be in Mesa this Friday so hope to stop at ESS and hear a car first hand. I am in love with the sound of this exhaust from the videos. Must be fated for me to have the ESS since this business trip popped up about the time I first heard the ESS here! WIll definitely post install and sound clip vids as I'll be installing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO
Quote:
you can run a full exhaust with a tune and pass. How is your car sounding with the ACM mod?

And OP, would love to hear the ESS when you get it
I love the ACM mod, it honestly surpassed my expectations, retained stock tone but now it's as loud as an aftermarket, anyone else who has heard it's completely blown away that's it's just a modded stock exhaust. now for an xpipe to get some performance out.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Krockit1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well I will have an OEM axle back available in a couple of weeks if anybody else wants to go that route. Have heard nothing but good things about the ACM OEM mod! I just want to get those bufugly cans off my rear Went with ESS Axle back, satin black cans and satin silver tips. With a JL or Challenge diffuser it will look great. May add the xpipe w/ HFC down the road. Thanks everyone for your input!
      08-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
I love the ACM mod, it honestly surpassed my expectations, retained stock tone but now it's as loud as an aftermarket, anyone else who has heard it's completely blown away that's it's just a modded stock exhaust. now for an xpipe to get some performance out.
get some test pipes and call it a day.. oh yeah and a tune
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO
Quote:
get some test pipes and call it a day.. oh yeah and a tune
man I'm tempted, I can't imagine how the sound and feel with this motor.
Appreciate 0