BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

02-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #23
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH_M3 View Post
any issues with using my motorcycle helmet for the track? Thanks!
I did this for my first couple of track days just so I could check out other peoples helmets at the track and kind of find out what works. Then finally went with something affordable that does the job, I picked up a pyrotec. I wouldnt jump into a super expensive helmet right off the back. I would try like a bell or pyrotec first (they are affordable helmets that fit and feel nice, a bit heavy but work) with the correct sa approval u need. This way u can wear this while u track and check out other peoples helmets. Once u research enough and figure out what style and brand u end up liking, u save up and invest in exactly what u want. I did this a few years back and it is now time for the upgrade.
      02-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #24
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Is anyone familiar with Zamp?

Looks like their RZ51 and RZ31 are one of the lightest and most affordable carbon kevlar helmets out there. Any feedback on the company and on the specific helmets?

Also, shall I go full or half face? Use is for the M3 exclusively.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #25
enricob
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 e92

this is mine

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #26
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
Thanks for the Info. I'm leaning towards Arai, Sparco and OMP. I just have to see which one best suits my needs!
Whatever brand you pick, you should get a helmet with a wide viewport. It will give you better situation awareness, and make you feel less claustrophobic. And, in a closed car, there is no reason to get a helmet with a narrow viewport.

I hesitated between the GP5-W and a slightly cheaper HJC helmet, and went with the GP5-W because it felt more comfortable. Before that I had an Arai karting helmet. I guess I have an Arai head. But Bell, Sparco and OMP make cheaper helmets that might work just fine for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #27
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

This is what I use.
http://www.saferacer.com/bell-m4-pro...?productid=361
Very happy with it.
      01-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #28
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
I've been using a full face motorcycle helmet for the longest time.

Just started using a Simpson Diamondback and so far so good! No real issues with visibility and it's super comfortable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #29
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH_M3
any issues with using my motorcycle helmet for the track? Thanks!
For DE types of things, motorcycle helmets are okay for all the clubs I've run with (5). Snell 2005 or 2010. But for racing stuff, the SA rating is likely required. The main difference as I understand it is fire resistance. Check with the club rules for the types of events you're going after.

I also agree w the comment above about fit. You cannot order a helmet online and expect it to fit unless you've already tried it out in that exact size. I like my Arai helmet's fit, but I had to try some 15 helmets before I found it.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #30
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplaynazn View Post
I've been using a full face motorcycle helmet for the longest time.

Just started using a Simpson Diamondback and so far so good! No real issues with visibility and it's super comfortable.

Sweet!!
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #31
advanced101
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

http://www.ompamerica.com/outlet/helmets/sc728/

Just picked one up, black. It is in their outlet, last version, half price. If they have one in your size it is an amazing deal.

Lots of good deals in their outlet section for last years gear.

Last edited by advanced101; 02-02-2012 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #32
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
I just ordered a Stilo ST4 Wide from HMS with the electronics, Hydration System, HANs posts and a Iridium replacement sheild. Can't wait for it to come in

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #33
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
I just ordered a Stilo ST4 Wide from HMS with the electronics, Hydration System, HANs posts and a Iridium replacement sheild. Can't wait for it to come in
Hope you like yours
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607174

I have the Arai GP-6 and it really couldn't get any better. I have ChatterBox electronics installed and tucked away so when someone else gets in the car I can just plug up and go.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #34
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by disapr View Post
Hope you like yours
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607174

I have the Arai GP-6 and it really couldn't get any better. I have ChatterBox electronics installed and tucked away so when someone else gets in the car I can just plug up and go.
Interesting... I've talked with a couple friends who are track junkies and they all were swearing by the Stilo. Unfortunately they all live hours away and I don't get to see them often so I've never had the chance to get to try one on, also being where I'm located we don't have any dealers around here for anything. So I'm stuck with purchasing everything from pictures and measurements.

I knew the Ear Muffs were passive noise cancelling but figured since they weren't attached over your head like some of my old aviation headsets that would clamp down with a lot of force it wouldn't be as big of a deal, since they just rest there.. That is one thing I hated about all those headsets was the pressure they put on my head and digging in my glasses it gave me a headache on long flights, until I made the switch to the BOSE...

Hopefully I didn't just wast a ton of $$$$ Do you re-call what the time frame was until they completed yours? I ordered mine about a week and a half ago but still haven't herd anything about it being shipped...

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #35
yyoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Interesting... I've talked with a couple friends who are track junkies and they all were swearing by the Stilo. Unfortunately they all live hours away and I don't get to see them often so I've never had the chance to get to try one on, also being where I'm located we don't have any dealers around here for anything. So I'm stuck with purchasing everything from pictures and measurements.

I knew the Ear Muffs were passive noise cancelling but figured since they weren't attached over your head like some of my old aviation headsets that would clamp down with a lot of force it wouldn't be as big of a deal, since they just rest there.. That is one thing I hated about all those headsets was the pressure they put on my head and digging in my glasses it gave me a headache on long flights, until I made the switch to the BOSE...

Hopefully I didn't just wast a ton of $$$$ Do you re-call what the time frame was until they completed yours? I ordered mine about a week and a half ago but still haven't herd anything about it being shipped...
I just got a Stilo as well. Have three track days in them. The ear muffs are very comfortable. I'm sensitive to any pressure on my head, and the ear muffs don't really exert any.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #36
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:

I ordered my Stilo through a reseller that bought from HMS so they shipped it out the next day. I was able to return it less a restocking fee though. I'd suggest going with the Arai if you can. If not the Stilo will provide protection and that is the main goal.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #37
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
If you Track in the U.S. you have to have an SA-2005 rating or above!
The SA2005 refers to the year that that spec of protection was defined by the Snell Foundation (http://www.smf.org/). I believe they specs are updated every 5 years, and a helmets certification lasts for 7 years. Whether organizations/clubs allow 7 years or 5 years differs, some people think the certificate only lasts until the next certification is published. Anyway, a Snell SA2005 helmet will have its certificate expire in 2012 and will no longer be accepted by a (reputable) organization after that. If you are buying a helmet now, you need an SA2010 certified helmet - this you will be able to use at any event, whereas a cheaper M2010 helmet might be rejected.

What the Snell certification does is set a minimum safety standard for helmet protection. SA helmets have a degree of fire resistance that motorcycle helmets don't. If the helmet passes this spec, it is considered safe, whether it cost $50, $500 or $1000. In most cases, the extra cost is for materials used, finish and the brand of helmet - a $700 helmet will offer little more protection than a $250 helmet, but it will have a lighter shell, better lining, better ventilation and better visor material/mechanism. The weight will make a difference in a 3 hour endurance race where you are pulling high-g's in corners, but unless you have a pencil neck, not much in a 20-25 track session in a stock/lightly modded M3 without a harness where your whole body is essentially moving about. In a harness, your body is strapped in, so there is no "compensation" to reduce the amount your head moves about, so weight becomes more important. It is all about you wallet and your comfort and your acceptable ratio between the two.
      02-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #38
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoo View Post
I just got a Stilo as well. Have three track days in them. The ear muffs are very comfortable. I'm sensitive to any pressure on my head, and the ear muffs don't really exert any.
Great to hear! That's exactly what I was thinking and hoping would be the case since they're in a fixed posistion. I'm thinking everything will check out when I get it. I've read a lot more good reviews on them than bad, and with the options you can get already installed it seemed like the way to go.

My plan is to get it painted along with the Hans I got I'm thinking of some sort of M Power scheme that flows on both of them when I'm wearing them, but leaving some of the Carbon Fiber Exposed

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #39
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
The SA2005 refers to the year that that spec of protection was defined by the Snell Foundation (http://www.smf.org/). I believe they specs are updated every 5 years, and a helmets certification lasts for 7 years. Whether organizations/clubs allow 7 years or 5 years differs, some people think the certificate only lasts until the next certification is published. Anyway, a Snell SA2005 helmet will have its certificate expire in 2012 and will no longer be accepted by a (reputable) organization after that.
That's not the way it works for my BMWCCA club, and I think they follow national BWMCCA standards pretty rigidly. It is a good point for anyone buying an 05 that it's not usable for nearly as long as a 10. Our club's standard is to allow usage for one season past when the helmet becomes 2 generations old. In other words, you could still use a SA2000 until the end of the 2011 season (1 year past the 2010 generation), so if you buy a SA2005 right now, you'll be able to use it through the end of the 2016 season. If you are just starting and unsure if you'll stick with it, a half priced SA2005 might be the way to go, but if you are pretty serious, you might as well buy a 2010, because you'll get twice as long of usage.
      02-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #40
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Eh I just bought a fullface motorcycle helmet that was Snell approved when it was on sale for $80. It's an SJC. I'm relatively short though and don't have a sunroof so head clearance isn't a huge issue.
      02-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #41
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
That's not the way it works for my BMWCCA club, and I think they follow national BWMCCA standards pretty rigidly. It is a good point for anyone buying an 05 that it's not usable for nearly as long as a 10. Our club's standard is to allow usage for one season past when the helmet becomes 2 generations old. In other words, you could still use a SA2000 until the end of the 2011 season (1 year past the 2010 generation), so if you buy a SA2005 right now, you'll be able to use it through the end of the 2016 season. If you are just starting and unsure if you'll stick with it, a half priced SA2005 might be the way to go, but if you are pretty serious, you might as well buy a 2010, because you'll get twice as long of usage.
Good point - one has to check with each club/organization about standards. This will be in the FAQ and technical sections associated with booking time at an event.
      02-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #42
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Bell HP3 Carbon with HANS:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/p1070549ly.jpg/
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #43
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Here's OMP's Grand Prix HANS helmet which many of my customers use. I also use it myself. Light-weight composite shell. Both SNELL 2005 and 2010 versions available.

• Narrow visor with high-precision adjustment mechanism that makes it fit very closely to the shell.
• Kevlar trimmed strap closure for greater safety and durability.
• 3 vents on the chin.
• 3 adjustable air vents on the shell.
• 3 rear vent holes.
• Hole to insert dringking straw.
• Removable cheek paddings (can be purchased separately also in larger or smaller sizes).
• Complete with HANS® safety device clips (replaceable for Hibryd® clips ).

02-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #44
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
UPS just dropped this off today

IMG-20120207-00153 by SchnellM3, on Flickr

Have to say for not getting the full Carbon Fiber version its still a lot lighter than I expected, I can't imagine how light the other one is. Very happy with the choice

Only cons for me are that the visor doesn't open very far like on my Shoei so its a little tougher for me to get my glasses on, and the chin strap will need some type of covering....

Appreciate 0