BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Anyone buy their car used and is using an aftermarket extended warranty?

For example, I bought my M3 at Carmax and have their Maxcare warranty that allows me to go to any ASE certified facility.

What has me spooked is that after talking with an independent BMW mechanic regarding the possibility of warranting a blown engine from bad rod bearings... His reply was that I am basically screwed if that where to happen...

I asked different scenarios such as what if the car where stock, what if i had software and flashed back to stock as soon as the engine had blown, what if i flashed back to stock now... And he pretty much said in every scenario I am screwed!!!

I was trying to see if Maxcare would get BMW NA involved to investigate the engine prior to approving a replacement and I couldnt get a clear answer either... And this is an independent ASE certified BMW mechanic that is pretty well respected in the area.

Is there some kind of ASE union mandate that says their mechanics can't talk to me about these things?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Nice to know we can try going through BBB for possible reconciliation. Thanks
      12-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #25
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
I was trying to see if Maxcare would get BMW NA involved to investigate the engine prior to approving a replacement and I couldnt get a clear answer either... And this is an independent ASE certified BMW mechanic that is pretty well respected in the area.

Is there some kind of ASE union mandate that says their mechanics can't talk to me about these things?
Maxcare would not be eligible to get BMWNA involved as that process typically involves a dealership and not an independent facility. A well respected ASE mechanic falls on deaf ears as BMWNA typically wants test plans and procedures to be carried out from a BMW dealer.

Typically mechanics do not interact with clients as it is not apart of their job obligations and it is the job of the SA or shop manager to be the bridge.