BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #23
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Pirelli and Michelin tend to focus more on the handling aspect of their perfromance winter tires, where Bridgestone focuses more on the snow traction. Dunlop is generally in between. Over the years this can change as new versions come out, but for 09, and the recent past, this has been the case.

Without knowing your wheel setup for winter, it is hard to say what is available, so if you have a specific sizing question call me at 800.428.8355 x660.

Subw00er, it sounds like you are looking for better handling than the Dunlops, so the Michelin or Pirelli would probably be your next step.
      10-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #24
Projectile
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Ben:

Silver Bullet here. We spoke today on the phone from Calgary.

Here's what a local supplier said about a square set up (I assume that means same fitting on all 4 wheels, as opposed to rear wheels wider than front) for winter tires, as recommended by my BMW dealer:

"Not trying to pull a dirty sales tactic or anything on you, but BMW is giving some fairly bad advice. I’ve been playing around with a fitment calculator and the best sizing I can come up with for a square fitment is 245/40R18 for the front and 245/45R18 for the rear and even then it is about half an inch off the recommended height on the rear tire. For the 235/40/18 fitment all around, it would be nearly 1.5 inches off recommended on the rear. BMW was doing the incorrect fitment for their vehicles last year as well.

I’ve called around to a few of our tire suppliers as well as some local tire shops as well and they are all recommending the staggered fitment for the new M3s."

It seems that you (Tire Rack) are also recommending a staggered setup.

What do you think of that?

Why would BMW recommend a square setup? What problem can arise by not having the wider rear tires?

Last edited by Projectile; 10-07-2009 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #25
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

I used the wintersport M3's in the past (about 4 years) and loved them, but they dropped the M3 and switched to the d3, which although was ok in the snow, perhaps even better in the snow, they lost a lot of dry traction and stability. The sidewall flexes more and the tire feels more vague. Its no longer an enthusiasts sport tire IMO. I don't think I'd buy them again, although if you are on a budget, they are still worth the money.

I wont buy Blizzaks based on prior history/experience.

I'm now looking at the Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero - looks like enthusiasts tend to like this tire for its good dry traction and mildly compromised snow traction when compared to hardcore winter tires (a good tradeoff for me). Also I see there is a serie II tire, as well as 210, 240 and 270 models. Whats the difference between all of them - whats the best one if I want the best handling (read: lowest sidewall/tread vagueness) tire?! Ben? I dont care about tread wear, noise, comfort or any of those other WOSSIE characteristics. I basically want a PS2 in a winter compound with a tread pattern that can deal with snow occasionally. Am I looking at the best tire with the sottozero?

Ben, do you expect more updates to the site for the 18" M3 wheel setup? I see only one option for dedicated winter tires.