BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
WERKE
President Directeur General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/ E92 M3 ESS/F-type R

Please, need HELP

Hey guys,

I need your advice: since yesterday, my 2009 M3 coupe has trouble to start (intermittently). When I start the engine, rather than settle on approx 750rpm, the engine is running really slowly (300-400rpm and he hesitates for 4-5 seconds before stabilizing at 500rpm. This happened on 3 occasions and today , a string of warning lights appeared one after the other: DSC inactive, inactive flat warning system, reduced engine power, etc.. I restarted the engine and everything is back to normal. I connected my bavarian scanner (BT tool) and the codes found here:

27B2
secondary air system throughput main section;

2B23
Idle state controler monitoring bank 1

2B57
Motor emergency program activated

D35A
KLEMMENSTATUS not received (transmitter)

5E19
DSC-ECU serial peripheral interface; ID request not accepted.

Guy's your help is welcome.
p.s. The nearest dealer is 120 miles away from me
Attached Images

07-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERKE View Post
Hey guys,

I need your advice: since yesterday, my 2009 M3 coupe has trouble to start (intermittently). When I start the engine, rather than settle on approx 750rpm, the engine is running really slowly (300-400rpm and he hesitates for 4-5 seconds before stabilizing at 500rpm. This happened on 3 occasions and today , a string of warning lights appeared one after the other: DSC inactive, inactive flat warning system, reduced engine power, etc.. I restarted the engine and everything is back to normal. I connected my bavarian scanner (BT tool) and the codes found here:

27B2

2B23

2B57

D35A
KLEMMENSTATUS not received (transmitter)

5E19
DSC-ECU serial peripheral interface; ID request not accepted.

Guy's your help is welcome.
p.s. The nearest dealer is 120 miles away from me

27B2
1) Could be caused by a bad mass air flow meter on the secondary air lines, or leakage/blockage there. Check the line for a reduction in diameter.

2B23
1) This is probably the idle actuator.

2B57
1) This is caused by one of the other faults

Not sure on the last two faults.

If it's under warranty take it to the dealer.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
WERKE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
27B2
1) Could be caused by a bad mass air flow meter on the secondary air lines, or leakage/blockage there. Check the line for a reduction in diameter.

2B23
1) This is probably the idle actuator.

2B57
1) This is caused by one of the other faults

Not sure on the last two faults.

If it's under warranty take it to the dealer.
Mike thank you for your answers, I'm not sure what I should do because the car is equipped with a VT-1 ESS ... not sure a visit to the dealer is the best thing to do, unless there is nothing else to do. I assume that any competent mechanic can just help me identify and fix the problem? Remove the ESS kit to repair does not suit me so much, I prefer to avoid the dealer and pay for a repair ... unless it's an expensive repair, someone else has have a suggestion?
      07-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
What year is your E90 M3?

You may want to look at this Service Bulletin for the E90 M3:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230986

It mentions your 2B23 error code and potentially your limp mode.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
WERKE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
What year is your E90 M3?

You may want to look at this Service Bulletin for the E90 M3:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230986

It mentions your 2B23 error code and potentially your limp mode.

Best of luck!
Thank's flipm3, i will check this thread. So, does anyone know if there is a procedure (step by step) to verify that stupid valve control and / or that hose?
      07-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

My 2012 had the whole idle control fiasco at 8200miles. Engine warning, dsc failure, etc.

I took it to the dealer and it was a non-event. They had it all done in a few hours. My invoice says "found code 2B23 idle actuator governor monitoring bank 1....idle actuator faulty."

Since they got it done so fast, and the dealer was jam packed and with non-stop service appointments, I was happy.

My only hint at this problem was that the car had stuttered hard, like the gas had been momentarily cut, at parking lot speed in first gear. This had happened maybe twice only over a month or two. No warning lamps, then kapow warning light city. After restarting the car the next morning, all lamps were clear, but I took it in anyways.

Funny, at each of these big jolting stutters I had people in the car with me and I'm sure they were thinking "wtf is wrong with you, you're driving like a kook." Each time I just said, "oh, the engine is a bit rough unless you open it up"

I would just take it in to the dealer...maybe find a mod friendly one in your area. Ask them to kindly ignore the extra tubes and hoses under the hood, just brush those aside.

Take it in for peace of mind. Plus you already paid for dealer service - built into the price of the car. Then you can resume that supercharger business. You don't want your supercharged M3 stuttering in a grocery store parking lot in front of a lot of impressionable people and all.

Last edited by Peahi; 07-07-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
WERKE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
My 2012 had the whole idle control fiasco at 8200miles. Engine warning, dsc failure, etc.

I took it to the dealer and it was a non-event. They had it all done in a few hours. My invoice says "found code 2B23 idle actuator governor monitoring bank 1....idle actuator faulty."

Since they got it done so fast, and the dealer was jam packed and with non-stop service appointments, I was happy.

My only hint at this problem was that the car had stuttered hard, like the gas had been momentarily cut, at parking lot speed in first gear. This had happened maybe twice only over a month or two. No warning lamps, then kapow warning light city. After restarting the car the next morning, all lamps were clear, but I took it in anyways.

Funny, at each of these big jolting stutters I had people in the car with me and I'm sure they were thinking "wtf is wrong with you, you're driving like a kook." Each time I just said, "oh, the engine is a bit rough unless you open it up"

I would just take it in to the dealer...maybe find a mod friendly one in your area. Ask them to kindly ignore the extra tubes and hoses under the hood, just brush those aside.

Take it in for peace of mind. Plus you already paid for dealer service - built into the price of the car. Then you can resume that supercharger business. You don't want your supercharged M3 stuttering in a grocery store parking lot in front of a lot of impressionable people and all.

"I would just take it in to the dealer...maybe find a mod friendly one in your area. Ask them to kindly ignore the extra tubes and hoses under the hood, just brush those aside."

Seriously, i don't know what to do with this shit.. I begin to contemplate the idea of ​​contacting my dealer and tell him I am an excellent customer who has already bought four other BMW ... and I'll probably buy another in 1-2 years ... and that the SC kit is best conceived of the market ... and the fucking idle control has nothing to do with the SC etc..

Guy's, Your constructive comments are always welcome, thank you in advance!
      07-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

I am serious! Ask around, maybe on the local forum for a mod friendly CA.

Did you honestly think you would never have to take your car to the dealer ever again? The way I see it, you paid a premium for the service up front. If it has nothing to do with the supercharger, its fair and square, why worry? I wouldn't even tap dance around the fact that you have a supercharger. Crying over spilled milk. Your car has 10K km on it only...its barely been driven man, and you have many more miles of enjoyment ahead.

If you have to pull the desperate "I bought four bmw's from you guys, cut me some slack" line, do it later. Grovel later. Write a letter if you have to.

Be proud of your supercharger man, come on...the techs will probably be admiring it! Seriously! Be a man and take it in. They will probably fix it easily, and mention "sweet car bro."

If you're so paranoid, why not just take it to an independent BMW shop. I just hate to see you pay extra (if warranty can cover, why not) if the dealer can fix it easily or worse have someone who isn't up to date on your car work on it and screw things up.

Last edited by Peahi; 07-07-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
WERKE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
I am serious! Ask around, maybe on the local forum for a mod friendly CA.

Did you honestly think you would never have to take your car to the dealer ever again? The way I see it, you paid a premium for the service up front. If it has nothing to do with the supercharger, its fair and square, why worry? I wouldn't even tap dance around the fact that you have a supercharger. Crying over spilled milk. Your car has 10K km on it only...its barely been driven man, and you have many more miles of enjoyment ahead.

If you have to pull the desperate "I bought four bmw's from you guys, cut me some slack" line, do it later. Grovel later. Write a letter if you have to.

Be proud of your supercharger man, come on...the techs will probably be admiring it! Seriously! Be a man and take it in. They will probably fix it easily, and mention "sweet car bro."

If you're so paranoid, why not just take it to an independent BMW shop. I just hate to see you pay extra (if warranty can cover, why not) if the dealer can fix it easily or worse have someone who isn't up to date on your car work on it and screw things up.
Man, thank you for your input. But, I do not think being paranoid; the risk of invalidating my warranty depends
completely what the dealer will decide. If I am positively received by the dealer: big deal, otherwise I can say adios to my waranty. Anyway, I'll sleep on it and thank you for the advice.
      07-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
amirz1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Are you planing on taking the supercharger off before the warranty period is over? If not what's the point of worrying about your warranty? You either have a warranty or have a supercharger. You can't have both. Right?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
WERKE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirz1000 View Post
Are you planing on taking the supercharger off before the warranty period is over? If not what's the point of worrying about your warranty? You either have a warranty or have a supercharger. You can't have both. Right?
Yes.
      07-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Best thing to do is the same tho g everyone else is saying.. Take it to the dealer... Sorry to see this happen to you.