home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

03-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
daltb
Registered
Rep
Drives: blue 2003 m3

Can someone please help me

I own a 2003 m3. Recently I installed new tires, tires of the exact size as the former. Now my loww tire pressure indicator light will not go out.

the following are the steps i have taken to eliminate this problem
  • Pressed the reset button, it goes off and then on again
  • Pressed the reset button when car was in motion no result
  • pressed the reset buttom when car was stopped no result
  • turned the key to the number 2 position pressed the reset button no result
  • disconnected the battery over the winter then reconnected and pressed reset button, no result
    • waived a dead chicken over my head while chanting Joan Biaz songs no result

now this is an enthusiast car owed by enthusiasts do you think hard core car people know how to use a hand held tire pressure guage.... yes.... why then do they install an item that is pure aggravation

Does anyone know how to solve this issue or has anyone had a similar problem

thankx to all for your help
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltb View Post
I own a 2003 m3. Recently I installed new tires, tires of the exact size as the former. Now my loww tire pressure indicator light will not go out.

the following are the steps i have taken to eliminate this problem
  • Pressed the reset button, it goes off and then on again
  • Pressed the reset button when car was in motion no result
  • pressed the reset buttom when car was stopped no result
  • turned the key to the number 2 position pressed the reset button no result
  • disconnected the battery over the winter then reconnected and pressed reset button, no result
    • waived a dead chicken over my head while chanting Joan Biaz songs no result

now this is an enthusiast car owed by enthusiasts do you think hard core car people know how to use a hand held tire pressure guage.... yes.... why then do they install an item that is pure aggravation

Does anyone know how to solve this issue or has anyone had a similar problem

thankx to all for your help
Low pressure is determined by change/difference in rotational speed on the E46 M3s.

You should be able to Start the car and hold the Tire Reset for 2-3 seconds. I can't remember if you hold until it extinguishes or whether it extinguishes after you release. You should plan to drive right away for a while (I am assuming to "lock" in wheel speed. Make sure you have checked your pressures and set according to manual or door.

The above procedure has worked for me. If that don't work, I'd just ignore until your next dealer visit.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

It's in the manual.

You just reset it and then drive off. The light will go out in like a mile and now it has recorded the new tire pressure.

If this isn't working, it's possible the shop damaged the TPMS transmitters. I guess a really low pressure might make it error out potentially...or an excessively high one, although I've never tried.

What is the tire pressure?

Also, why didn't the shop reset it and verify that it was working? Any good shop should do this.

Also - from what I understand, BMW had a superior system that would actually tell you the tire pressure per tire as opposed to just green or red. It did not meet the "idiot use level" required in the US. So I guess you can blame us for the overly simplistic design.
Appreciate 0