BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

Mporium BMW

06-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Momentum BMW SW - Worst service center ever.

So I just wanted to share my experience with this particular Momentum BMW location. Before I get into the nitty gritty, the service adviser, Phillip, is a pretty cool guy and doesn't really have anything to do with my negative experience. He's not the best SA I've had, as he doesn't go out of his way to take care of you, but he doesn't try to bullshit you either, and I appreciate straight forwardness. The receptionist, Rebecca?, however, is extremely rude and obnoxious.

Anyway, so last Friday I took my car to Momentum SW to swap out the rear tires, which were pretty much shot. They charged me $100 for this (I had brought my own tires), which I thought was a bit steep (since a typical wheel shop could mount a couple of tires for $20), but I figure, this is an M3 and this is BMW, they will do it right so it's worth the premium.

Upon getting the car back, I noticed a couple of things.

1.) They had scuffed my rear bumper, I guess when they took out the new tires. This is not a big deal, and Phillip had them buff it out on the spot. Of course, as soon as the car got dirty, I could see the scratches again, but meh, shit happens and no car can stay flawless forever. I'll get some touch up paint and it should be (almost) good as new.

2.) The center cap on one of the wheels was pretty much hanging off the car. I pointed this out as well, and they took care of it while they were buffing out the bumper. Of course, in the process of forcing the center cap back onto the wheel, they scraped some of the finish off of it, but seeing as the finish is worn in a couple of spots here and there anyway, I didn't make a big deal about this either, since the wheels will have to be refinished at some point soon anyway (the first and last time I let some asshole valet my car, they curbed the wheel ).

3.) My MPG had dropped from the usual ~14 to a mighty 9, and the odometer had about 15 extra miles on it. I guess they decided to do some burn outs with the old tires before they swapped them up, or something. Again, this is an M3 and meant to be driven hard, so I brushed it off.

My forgiving attitude was deflated a tad later that day, when I got an EDC malfunction error and the car started driving like a brick. I called them to see if I can bring the car back, and was informed by Rebecca that essentially I'm shit out of luck because they are full up till Monday. I inquire about a loaner while they investigate the issue, and she suggests I instead rent a car at their in-house Enterprise (which charges about $40 more per day than any other car rental place in town).

Not really liking this option, I decide to make other arrangements and wait till Monday. So they keep the car overnight, and diagnose the problem as a loose connector (whew! glad it was nothing serious). They also inform me they can't fix it under warranty because of my aftermarket springs, and suggest that the installer is the one who was responsible for the loose connection. Of course, this is all a load of horseshit, since the car has been running smooth as butter on those springs for 12,000 miles, and the car only started popping errors after they got their grubby mitts on it. Still, I realize they aren't in the business of giving away stuff for free if they can avoid it, and it was only ~$150, so I say screw it and have them fix it.

But then, just to add insult to injury, when I get my invoice, I see they did not give me a courtesy wash, citing "aftermarket wheels" as the reason. Really? REALLY? For some reason, none of the above really irked me, but this particular bit had me livid and is what prompted this post in the first place.

I'm about to go give the car a wash now, and will inspect the wheels. I fully expect the tire pressure to be too low and the bolts over-torqued all to hell.

In conclusion/TLDR version: Momentum BMW SW does sloppy work, has rude receptionists, and is extremely hostile to anything aftermarket. How they became the official dealership of the Houston M club with that kind of attitude is beyond me. I've been meaning to join said club, but now I'm not so sure if it means having to associate with this dealership in any way, shape or form.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Not surprising whatsoever

I had a miserable experience with them and it was actually pretty similar to yours.

I will never ever go back, and one of the reasons I sold my car is because of my dealings with them.

Momentum sw is garbage.

My experience with BMW midtown was much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
=[monkey]=
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f82 m4

Bmw north !!! Scott for parts is the man! Radar evans service advisor!! I had supercharger aftermarket wheels spring with no problem, they replace my wheel angle sensor without blaming anything
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

I had a miserable experience with them and it was actually pretty similar to yours.

I will never ever go back, and one of the reasons I sold my car is because of my dealings with them.

Momentum sw is garbage.

Wait... one of the reasons you sold a car is because of a dealership? How so?

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
you actually want them to wash your car and make it worse?

you actually took your tires there to be mounted? there are plenty of very qualified places that will do it for $25/tire.

you did not explicitly tell them that the car does not leave the lot under any circumstances and check the mileage in and out before leaving?

you could have done a lot to save yourself some grief.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
Wait... one of the reasons you sold a car is because of a dealership? How so?

- V

long story I don't want to get in to. basically, when you constantly have the dealer fighting you on any issue you have with your car, it destroys your confidence in the reliability of the car and of the dealership being on your side to fix it if things get worse.

my experience with these guys and BMW was certainly a part of my decision to move on to something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
you actually want them to wash your car and make it worse?

you actually took your tires there to be mounted? there are plenty of very qualified places that will do it for $25/tire.

you did not explicitly tell them that the car does not leave the lot under any circumstances and check the mileage in and out before leaving?

you could have done a lot to save yourself some grief
why should you have to specify that? you really think that you should have to ask them not to take your car for a joyride?

he could have been saved a lot of grief if these guys would have treated his car with respect and would have done the work properly the first time and with a modicum of pride.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
^

They can generate a million reasons to legitimize their test drive. It is all about the difference between people that like to ask permission versus forgiveness. It is quite easier to simply state up front that the car does not leave the lot. You know you have an M3. You know people want to drive it like they stole it. Everyone knows this. You just nip it in the bud. Why not spend 3 seconds telling them to avoid all the aggravation later??
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Ask for SA Phong, he's the only one that drives my M and makes sure it doesn't get hot rodded

Also, you should speak to Daniel the head of service. A very nice and reasonable guy. If nothing more, they should know what is going on in their service department.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
^

They can generate a million reasons to legitimize their test drive. It is all about the difference between people that like to ask permission versus forgiveness. It is quite easier to simply state up front that the car does not leave the lot. You know you have an M3. You know people want to drive it like they stole it. Everyone knows this. You just nip it in the bud. Why not spend 3 seconds telling them to avoid all the aggravation later??
difference of opinion. I think its total BULLSH*T that you would have to tell someone that when bringing the car in for warranty work or service that was included in the purchase price. it is nothing less than embarrassing to employ techs who would do that to the car (didn't have any issues with this on my car when it went in for service)

I find it unacceptable, yet perfectly fitting with the level of service that I received from BMW southwest.

I refuse to have to beg my SA to make sure my car doesn't get driven for a joyride. That should never even have to come up. Plus, who knows what they will try to do to your car etc when its in the shop if you make such demands. Just like when you make demands in a restaurant, who knows what they do to your food in the back.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Make sure you complete and submit your customer satisfaction survey.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Mine is actually there now getting a new throttle actuator installed (other one was replaced 2 months ago).

When I thought I had an issue last Friday the 7th I called James C (my service advisor) and he also told me that the soonest they could get me in was Wednesday.

About 1 hour later my car stranded near 45 in League City (thankfully in a parking lot) so BMW Assist dispatched a flat bed to carry me to Momentum SW.

They had me in a 328I loaner right then (approximately 4:00 PM) and I will be picking up my M3 today.

I am so thankful I haven't had any of these issues but I will definitely keep my eyes open. I wrote down the mileage when I dropped it off and will be going over the car with a fine toothed comb today.

I have been there numerous times and so far I think everything is okay.

Sorry for your troubles.

My thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852375
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

Momentum sw is garbage.

+1
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #13
D88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3

This is some good info i've been looking for a dealership who could service my e90 I got a few weeks ago. Thanks

Anyone have a certain SA they would recommend that I could talk to about getting serviced?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I've had good service with Momentum West over the past 3 years. Juan Maldonado is my SA.
      09-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
D88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3

Thanks TXmtrhed... I'll go and check him out I need an oil change anyways
Appreciate 0