BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

08-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08

Exclamation Student loans = no professional license

Bar to lawyer: You have too many student loans to practice

"Applicant has not presently established the character and general fitness requisite for an attorney and counselor-at-law."

With more than $400,000 in student loans and accumulated interest, the judges apparently felt he had not demonstrated the judgment worthy of practicing law in New York.

College = 50k a year
Law School = 50k a year
Easily over 400k total

So if you come from a middle class family and don't qualify for certain poor people grants the fact you borrow money to acquire a professional degree means shit.

So a professional degree is for either poor people on welfare grants or the uber rich trust fund babies now?

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/0...s-to-practice/

Oh yeah, btw the dude is handicapped in both legs to boot.

According to the New York Times:

New York’s courts have overlooked misconduct like lawyers’ solicitation of minors for sex, efforts to deceive judges and possession of cocaine. Those instances have led merely to temporary suspensions from practice.

“It usually takes a pretty significant record of some underlying misconduct to keep you out permanently,” said Deborah L. Rhode, a law professor at Stanford who has studied bar admissions across the states. Excluding someone for having too much debt was odd, she said; the hard questions about loans usually involve applicants who have used bankruptcy to try to escape loans, she said, and Mr. Bowman has not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/02/bu...3&ref=business

Last edited by Cyber; 08-11-2009 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

damn 400k in school loans is deep i knew a person with 175k and thought that was a lot
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Haha. There are a lot of side issues but I know the NY bar is a bitch to pass. The dude passed it and

SHOULD GET A CHANCE TO WORK AND PAY BACK HIS DEBT

Can't believe they cockblocked him from trying to pay back the debt. If he doesn't repay once he gets the license - FINE - BAR HIS ASS.

Its common sense to me imo.

"NOT coming from working-class roots, The judges on the panel were not interested in providing justice--they were interested in furthering the cause of class warfare. The harder a working class person works to try to better themselves, the more likely their credit rating is to suffer. Then, they call this "irresponsible". But how can debt accrued in pursuit of education--which by definition makes one more valuable to society--be irresponsible?

If the judges were really interested in justice, they would have admitted him to the bar with the understanding that his admission was probationary and the terms of this probation be that enter into--and stick to--a payment plan that repays his creditors. I am sure if asked, they would've preferred that."
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
TwoSaints
Second Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

how does this make any sense? what is the line of reasoning here?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
jlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Did you even read the entire article? Yes, he's faced some pretty significant obstacles in his life. However, according to the article, he has been taking out student loans for 26 years and has not made a single payment or any efforts to make payment arrangements.

A background examination including a character and fitness evaluation is part of the admissions process for every state bar in the country. I am not surprised by this at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
Did you even read the entire article? Yes, he's faced some pretty significant obstacles in his life. However, according to the article, he has been taking out student loans for 26 years and has not made a single payment or any efforts to make payment arrangements.

A background examination including a character and fitness evaluation is part of the admissions process for every state bar in the country. I am not surprised by this at all.
lol damn does the 400k include all the interest? sorry i just glanced at the article
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
damn 400k in school loans is deep i knew a person with 175k and thought that was a lot
Go look at how much dentistry, pharm, med school at a top tier university run. I think you can get away with 175k 10 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
TwoSaints
Second Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

lol, nope... didnt read it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post

He took medical deferals for his cripple issues - reasonable to me imo.

"Mr. Bowman concedes that he has never made a payment on his loans, partly because of medical and other deferrals and problems with his lender.But he says he intends to make good, adding that his only hope is to begin practicing law — which means overturning the judges’ decision. "

The problems with lenders seems a bit gray. His claim is that he was trying to medically defer his payments and the lender was illegally denying his claim while harassing him. But seriously, if you were threatened by a creditor in the manner he was, wouldn't you fight them?

"While thousands of indebted students have complained about their treatment by lenders, Mr. Bowman has documented his personal debt crisis with remarkable, obsessive intensity.

He claims Sallie Mae overcharged him, imposing hefty and unjustified fees; did not allow him to defer payments when he was entitled to do so and improperly accounted for periods when he did defer.

According to his detailed records, a Sallie Mae representative even threatened him. “If you default, your license will be taken from you,” the representative said. “Do you understand that?”

When Mr. Bowman said that he did not yet have a law license, the representative responded that the company would prevent him from getting one."

This was one of my favorite comments from the Times that sums it all up imo:

John Brown Carrollton
July 2nd, 20095:57 am

"The judges are imposing a kind of reverse means test on admission to practice and are calling it a test of character. If you come from a family of wealth and privilege and you are financially irresponsible, no problem. Daddy and Mommy have enough money to cover your sins. If you come from foster care and you show amazing persistence and determination and you stretch yourself to human limits, you are a jerk and deadbeat, unqualified to be an attorney. I suggest that his guy is more likely to be in touch with ordinary people at the moment of life crisis than any of those privileged snobs who never had to earn a penny of their own. Yet he is not only disqualified from bar admission, his character is assaulted. This is the person we want to represent people who lose their jobs, lose their homes, lose their children, have a terminal illness or injury. He can really understand. Maybe that is the real reason the insiders what to keep him out. Such "character" disqualifications are becoming all too common and there is usually an element of economic or social elitism in these cases.

In any event, the guy will make a great CIA agent, military officer, or captain of industry. He has persistence, determination, desire, heart, and true grit. The elite that keeps him out and lets in others who have no proof of fighting and overcoming adversity are giving the legal profession the reputation it has come to deserve."

That is an EPIC summary. They're assaulting his character and unjustly portraying him as a 26 year old "professional student deadbeat" without considering his struggles

Yes 26 years is a long time to be a student but he was only in law school from 2000 - 2004. Some people take lots of twists and turns in life until they finally figure out what they are called to do. Believe me, $400k is a hefty price to pay for the lesson but I'm sure the lesson was learned. Only way to tell is to give the dude a chance. After all, HE DID PASS ONE OF THE NATION'S HARDEST BAR EXAMS.

"He enrolled at the University of California Hastings College of Law in San Francisco in 2000.After his third year, he began a masters of law program in London, where he lived with a girlfriend. He graduated in December 2004 with about $230,000 in student loan debt, and she helped support him while he studied, and studied again and again, for the bar exam."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/02/bu...4&ref=business

Last edited by Cyber; 08-11-2009 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #10
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSaints View Post
how does this make any sense? what is the line of reasoning here?
"I can't believe you've done this" reasoning my friend.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread