BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

09-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #23
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

to the OP, go with the GT-R!! You will like it a lot. I do not really know the GT-R prices but if you get one for 60K you cannot loose much money on it. I do not know if the GT-R is really that good for DD. I was trying to get my son in the rear seat and only could do it if the front was almost all the way forward.
Still as someone pointed out the GT3 has no back seat at all. I would definately not DD the GT3 RS. Very low, loud (tire noise), very flushy etc. not a DD car. The M3 is way better option for DD. On the track, I do not know too much about the GT-R. Never driven one, I was only a passenger for about 5 laps that's it. The M3 is easier at first than the GT3 on the track. Actually the M3 is very nice on the track with R-comp tires and some brake upgrade. The GT3 RS is more fussy, more difficult to drive. I still have a high heart rate at every new session in the RS. But I am not a real race car driver, not even a true expert I think.
Anyway, you cannot go wrong with the GT-R or the GT3 either!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #24
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Correct, no back seats. If you did need those then a reason not to dd it. I don't think the ride is any more rough than the GTR I test drove. Granted that was a 2009. As a matter of fact the .2 GT3 was softer in normal suspension mode. GT3s have sport and normal suspension modes as well as quiet and rock on exhaust mode .

Ground clearance is a toss up I thought, maybe not. Mine barely ever scrapes but I am cognizant of it. The front lip is meant to take abuse anyway and is very easily replaced.

I think its pretty close too. The GTR is no touring car. That said I have never really understood the harsh ride slams. They're sports cars and they're suppose to be firm. I can't tell a difference in ride quality between my 2009 and 2012 GTR. Frankly the only thing that gets annoying to me using a sports car as a DD isn't harsh ride quality, its road noise (and the Nissan has plenty of that).

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #25
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Correct, no back seats. If you did need those then a reason not to dd it. I don't think the ride is any more rough than the GTR I test drove. Granted that was a 2009. As a matter of fact the .2 GT3 was softer in normal suspension mode. GT3s have sport and normal suspension modes as well as quiet and rock on exhaust mode .

Ground clearance is a toss up I thought, maybe not. Mine barely ever scrapes but I am cognizant of it. The front lip is meant to take abuse anyway and is very easily replaced.
I agree. The ride quality as a DD probably isn't that different. I have not spent much time in a GT3.2. I felt it was much harsher when I was in a .1 GT3 compared with a GTR. The comfort setting to me has improved a little compared to older models. I'm not complaining about a harsh ride as it's to be expected, but if you ever use it as a DD sometimes it's nice to have that softer setting if you are hauling around a passenger who is bothered by the ride or if you are driving on rough road surfaces.

Last edited by erio; 09-08-2011 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #26
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
I agree. The ride quality as a DD probably isn't that different. I have not spent much time in a GT3.2. I felt it was much harsher when I was in a .1 GT3 compared with a GTR. The comfort setting to me has improved a little compared to older models. I'm not complaining about a harsh ride as it's to be expected, but if you ever use it as a DD sometimes it's nice to have that softer setting if you are hauling around a passenger who is bothered by the ride or if you are driving on rough road surfaces.
The .2s ride has improved quite a bit over the .1s. Like you I use normal mode when the girlfriend, well... wife now, gets that look on her face . Otherwise its always in sport mode as is the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #27
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM505SX View Post
Numbers put down by a pro driver at a racetrack,have absolutely nothing to do with feel,feedback,weight and emotion a car exudes.A GTR will feel sterile compared to a 997GT3 or even a 996GT3.
this is just beyond funny i have to add my 2 cents.

you do realize that the gt3 is a turbo competitor, not gt3/rs.

it really depend on what you want. if you want a 911 turbo but don't want to pay almost twice the price. the gtr is for you. try use your gt3 in the snow and report back. you can drive all year round with the gtr and turbo and that is the idea.

if you want NA with all the feel, etc, then gt3/rs.

it's pretty funny how porsche fanatics keep comparing the gtr to the gt3. why not compare it to the turbo. oh wait, the turbo cannot beat the gtr on the track even at twice the price, so they magically don't want to mention it each time.

even Nissan said dozen time that the gtr is to compete with the turbo and rightly so. awd, turbo, more than 500hp, dual clutch, etc. what so difficult to understand that logic?

Last edited by graider; 09-26-2011 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #28
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

I daily drove my GT3. Only prob for me was the squeaky brakes. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I had a prob cause of ground clearance.
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #29
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post

it really depend on what you want. if you want a 911 turbo but don't want to pay almost twice the price. the gtr is for you. try use your gt3 in the snow and report back. you can drive all year round with the gtr and turbo and that is the idea.

it's pretty funny how porsche fanatics keep comparing the gtr to the gt3. why not compare it to the turbo. oh wait, the turbo cannot beat the gtr on the track even at twice the price, so they magically don't want to mention it each time.

even Nissan said dozen time that the gtr is to compete with the turbo and rightly so. awd, turbo, more than 500hp, dual clutch, etc. what so difficult to understand that logic?

BINGO
      09-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #30
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Civic (Non-ZCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post

GT3/RS, enthusiasts' most favorite Porsche vs. GT-R, enthusiasts' most favorite Japanese sport car...I see nothing wrong with this comparison
      09-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #31
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shark View Post
GT3/RS, enthusiasts' most favorite Porsche vs. GT-R, enthusiasts' most favorite Japanese sport car...I see nothing wrong with this comparison
It is a different type of car... and one is significantly faster.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #32
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shark View Post
sure, but this is like compare a miata to the m3 and declare the miata winner because it feel so much more focus than the m3. the miate really is light weight, direct, more focus, etc...but would you really go for the miata over the m3? i personally wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #33
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
Yeah it's fun. The fit and finish on the 2012s interior is significantly improved. I would put it at least the level of the M3, minus extend leather on the m3. Then again the m3 has a more of a spartan luxury sport interior and the GT-R is mostly sporty. They did add some improved stitching to the leather on the console and dash. Tranny is less clunky by way of some reprograming. Although the paddles are not attached to the wheel, they are very long and fairly each to reach on turns. As you probably know, suspension and power are the main upgrades.
O_o.
It's the same. They just changed the light-silver trim to dark-silver trim, and put a cf vernier over the center dash control panel.

If I could only get the 2012 tranny software... Sigh.
Cool 0.3+ seconds off of the 0-60 right there.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #34
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Any tuners that could provide that?
      09-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #35
scheherazade
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Any tuners that could provide that?
Cobb AP supposedly can let you adjust your launch RPMs, but I don't know of anything that lets you adjust clutch control PID parameters/limits/etc, or transfer the 2012 settings to an earlier model.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #36
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
O_o.
It's the same. They just changed the light-silver trim to dark-silver trim, and put a cf vernier over the center dash control panel.

-scheherazade
I agree. I had both a 2011 and 2012 and the interiors are the same except for the darker shade on the metallic looking trim, nicer knobs on the center stack and the addition of real carbon fiber overlays.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #37
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

I just wish they would tone down the dimensions on the car. The GT-R feels so big. I like it though. If I had 90k or was able to pay 1,000+ a month for lease payments. The GT-R would have the top spot instead of an M. Anyone paying less then 1,000 a month? I don't put anything down.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 09-29-2011 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #38
SCCAForums.com
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race Cars

Cobb AP does allow to update to LC4 (2012 Trans Program) now for the prior years... I am currently running their Beta Version... they're still testing... but about 20 or 30 cars are out there now... running the 2012 tranny program... it is AMAZINGLY better day to day!

Dave
2008 Lexus IS-F (Sold) 12.5 @ 113 / 2008 Shelby GT500 (Sold) 11.3 @ 126
2008 e90 M3 6MT 12.8 @ 111 (Sold) / 2006 e60 M5 12.4 @ 114 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #39
scheherazade
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums.com View Post
Cobb AP does allow to update to LC4 (2012 Trans Program) now for the prior years... I am currently running their Beta Version... they're still testing... but about 20 or 30 cars are out there now... running the 2012 tranny program... it is AMAZINGLY better day to day!

Dave
Found it!
Thanks!
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....dc-off-launch/

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I just wish they would tone down the dimensions on the car. The GT-R feels so big. I like it though. If I had 90k or was able to pay 1,000+ a month for lease payments. The GT-R would have the top spot instead of an M. Anyone paying less then 1,000 a month? I don't put anything down.
Money down drops payments a lot...
If you sold your M3, and put the cash down on a GT-R, with the difference you'd have accord-like payments (maybe even civic-like payments).

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #40
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Truly awesome performance from the mini Lambo. I don't like Asian styling though, I'm in love with the European flavor!
Appreciate 0