BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

10-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Adding Sirius Radio : Running into issues

Purchased a 2009 M3 recently and the one thing it was missing was the sirius radio option. Picked up a used receiver from a forum member and went to install it.

installation just took a few mins, it was 1 large connector and the other for the antenna. I had to remove the connector on the factory antenna wire, but besides that it plugged right in.

On the back of this receiver it had two antenna ports. Tom from EAS said that he knows that just plugging into one of them will work, but he forgot which one it was.

Local member did some coding for me, which included the addition of the Sirius Sat radio this morning.

The Sirius radio is now and option under the Radio Category, but when I click it nothing comes up. No channels come up and there is just a blank under "Category"

I tried both locations on the antenna.

Do you know what could be wrong?

Im not sure, maybe he programmed it wrong, is this possible? Or would it not come up on the screen if he didn't do it right?

Another thing I am worried about is the seller shipped the module without any protection and just jammed it into a small flat rate box, maybe its damaged?

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by LightWerkz; 10-07-2012 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Can you go into options and find your ESN number? You may need to have Sirius send an activation signal to your unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussoldierforhire View Post
Can you go into options and find your ESN number? You may need to have Sirius send an activation signal to your unit.
+ 1 you need to get the ESN , I dont think it will show channels until they send you an activation signal
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep

Ok. Good to hear, I will call in and see what happens. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
Ok. Good to hear, I will call in and see what happens. Thank you!
but if its not even displaying or letting you get to the ESN on the idrive than there is some sort of problem whether it be with the coding or the actual module itself. GL
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep

So just an update.

Called Sirius, and they asked for the ESN and I told them I couldnt locate it on the screen. Mentioned that I couldnt see anything, no channels, no ESN, Etc. Dont have any options...

Gave them the Sirius ID number and they added it to my account. The rep stated the signal is out to the receiver and it would take 5 mins. She said if it didnt work, to try again using the online activation which would send out another signal.

I tried both antenna ports and waited 15 mins with each one. Made sure I had a clear view of the sky.

Im not sure whats wrong, but it seems like either the module is not compatible or the coding wasnt done right.

I unplugged the unit and that made no change, I still have the "Satellite Radio" option under the Radio drop down, but when its clicked nothing appears.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Is your car wired for xm radio? Did you go behind the bolster and switch wires?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep

Just spoke to Tom at EAS and he mentioned the same thing. My car had the "Sat Prep " Option installed but im not sure if thats just standard. So I didnt think I needed to go behind the seat. I got the instructions so I will report back later.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep

All is working now. Had to remove that side bolster and read the instructions about 10 times, but finally got it all figured out. Just needed to switch those fiber optic wires. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
That's why this forum is great. A lot of knowlegeable members/sponsors/vendors who are constantly willing to help each other. Enjoy your radio. Congrats.
      10-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
AMGKillr1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Sedan

I'm about to do this. Thank god for this post
Appreciate 0