BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
steven_s
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

sizing help; max meat ;)

currently run KW CS with helper springs in. In terms of new fitment I have a few questions, searched, checked measurements, and still am conflicted.

I'm looking for a MAX aggressive fitment, as LOW as reasonably possible, PLUS the MAX usable meaty tire. Notwithstanding the arguments (my car isn't s/c, don't need it, etc) this is what I'm hoping for.

FRONT
Looking to fit 275/35/18
either
18x9.5 + 15 (confirmed) OR 18x10.5 + 20 (the 10.5 is what I'm unsure of)

REAR
Hoping to fit 315/30/18
18x11 + 18 (unconfirmed)

I'm willing to run any decent amount of camber (not -8...), willing to do some rolling and pulling as long as it can retain OEM look, rubbing fender liner is ok with me, no metal/metal contact, and able to full lock out.

Thanks in advance

Steven

Last edited by steven_s; 11-02-2014 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

18x11 et18 will not work in any way shape or form with anything wider than a 285/35/18 tire. To have hope of fitting a 315/30/18 (not 35) you would want an offset in the 30's - I think it's been done with et34.

See this link for max meat without requiring crazy camber.. G force rivals in 275/295. The Rivals are the widest tires I have seen in any given size (I would bet that my 295's are close in dimension to most 305's). I'm running 295/35/18 rivals on 11" et 25 wheels. I went to a shorter spring on my KW's in the front to gain sufficient inner clearance to run this set-up. I ran -2 camber front and rear.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052375
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 11-02-2014 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
steven_s
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, was hoping you'd chime in corrected, i meant 315/30/18. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your car, those rims and fitment are the tits. For sure I know certain brands are wider/thinner than others, rounder or more square sidewall. Hence at 315 I'd POSSIBLY have a choice to find something with a rounder profile to help.

Slicer by no means do I mean any disrespect but -2 is relatively modest. Like I said I'm not looking at going full retard and do something like -11 but IMO -3.5 to -4 is still within reason. And I also acknowledge I have nowhere near the decent amount of power to claim the need for this. BUT If I can run a good amount of camber and have success with x11+18 I'd do it.

IND's green machine ran 10.5+19 with 315. They did mentioned they pulled the rears and from what I've seen it looks completely OEM still. If they can chime in with their specs that'd be great.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_s View Post
Thanks, was hoping you'd chime in corrected, i meant 315/30/18. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your car, those rims and fitment are the tits. For sure I know certain brands are wider/thinner than others, rounder or more square sidewall. Hence at 315 I'd POSSIBLY have a choice to find something with a rounder profile to help.

Slicer by no means do I mean any disrespect but -2 is relatively modest. Like I said I'm not looking at going full retard and do something like -11 but IMO -3.5 to -4 is still within reason. And I also acknowledge I have nowhere near the decent amount of power to claim the need for this. BUT If I can run a good amount of camber and have success with x11+18 I'd do it.

IND's green machine ran 10.5+19 with 315. They did mentioned they pulled the rears and from what I've seen it looks completely OEM still. If they can chime in with their specs that'd be great.
Thanks for the compliment. Yes I agree -2 is modest but more camber in the rear will not solve rubbing problems. You don't need more than -2 in the front with 275's on 9.5" or 10" wheels with the right offset. It's even easier if you do the KW spring swap. There is no performance or asthetic advantage to Fitting 10.5" in front IMO.

The IND car had its rear fenders pulled (10:00 on drivers side) which required a full re spray of the fender. You can run -5 camber in the rear and it will still rub at that point on the metal, painted fender. I'm telling you that 315's require -34+/- on 11" wheels or pulling of the fenders and re spray. No camber or suspension settings will solve that rear rub because it occurs just above the center line of the wheel. Camber will give you more clearance at the top of the tire but that's not where the rub occurs.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
steven_s
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for this awesome quick reply. Any idea how much pull? I've pulled fenders before, but no way am I looking for such a pull that it'd risk cracking paint and a respray. If it's a small pull I'm ok with that.

Did you change to swift or eibach? And is it absolute for the front for 275/35 at 9.5+15

OR if i change the spring up front, can I run the 10.5+20 275/35. Aesthetically it will poke out 7mm more... isn't a deal breaker but again I'm trying to do this to the max and get it right one time

That all being said you'd still go 295/35 at x11+18 in the rear?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_s View Post
Thanks for this awesome quick reply. Any idea how much pull? I've pulled fenders before, but no way am I looking for such a pull that it'd risk cracking paint and a respray. If it's a small pull I'm ok with that.

Did you change to swift or eibach? And is it absolute for the front for 275/35 at 9.5+15

OR if i change the spring up front, can I run the 10.5+20 275/35. Aesthetically it will poke out 7mm more... isn't a deal breaker but again I'm trying to do this to the max and get it right one time

That all being said you'd still go 295/35 at x11+18 in the rear?
Talk to IND about the pull. The amount needed is dependent upon what offset, tire, wheel width you run. You can apparently fit 315's with the wheels specs I told you above without pulling fenders. I see no point in pulling the fenders if you can solve problem with proper wheel specs. I also think that 295's are enough tire for the car. Remember you are adding understeer by increasing rear tire size relative to the front.

I have never ran 10.5" in the front because I see no point. That is unless you wanted to run 275's square. Even at that I think 10" wheels are sufficient for 275's and fitment is easier. I Don't have any actual knowledge on fitment with 10.5" in front . I know it has been done but I have not.

9.5 et15 and 275's will work without spacers and standard KW springs. I have not tested that spec with Rivals but pretty much any other tire will work with that spec and -2 camber or a little more.

I have Eibach springs. I prepared a thread detailing what I did. I would be willing to seel my Eibach springs for $140. See link:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973188
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
steven_s
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks again for the help. Yeah I will message them and see to what extent the pull was done.

For sure, 295 is more than enough in the rear, especially with me not putting down the power to command it for now. But again, if i can i will for the 315

Yeah I've read your other post in the past and definitely see the point and benefit there. I believe if I ran a thinner coil up front I can run the 10.5 with 275 in the front.

If I had 6g's I'd take your set up in a heartbeat. LOVE your set.
Appreciate 0