BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

01-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #23
moog55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

looks great, greg! i think i may have to get the kit too.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #24
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Greg, do you think spraying a rubberized coating on the circuit board would be better than the electrical tape that is covering it? The sell those spray cans at Harbor Freight and they work pretty good. You can get a thick coat on them.

01-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #25
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Greg, do you think spraying a rubberized coating on the circuit board would be better than the electrical tape that is covering it? The sell those spray cans at Harbor Freight and they work pretty good. You can get a thick coat on them.
Hmmm...not sure - my thought was to epoxy encase it, but the plastic might work fine. The board is tucked away in the light housing, so it shouldn't see any water. I'll see how it lasts.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #26
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Hmmm...not sure - my thought was to epoxy encase it, but the plastic might work fine. The board is tucked away in the light housing, so it shouldn't see any water. I'll see how it lasts.
Yea i was going to encase the circuit for strictly cosmetic reasons..... with the 3 beta cars we have all been running the circuit in the headlight area and have had zero problems.....thing is though it gets tucked away and you never see it. I can def. get a water proof circuit box for it but it will be too big to put in the headlight area you will have to hid it somewhere in the engine bay
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #27
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

camaross305 - would the 44300k be as bright as 6000k ? It looks like the inner rings are way too bright and i am wondering if the 4300k would be a better choice ?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #28
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
camaross305 - would the 44300k be as bright as 6000k ? It looks like the inner rings are way too bright and i am wondering if the 4300k would be a better choice ?
Light output should be the same -- just slightly "warmer". One option mught be to tint the ends of the inner circle light pipe to reduce it's brightness.

Edit: The inner circle is directly lit, so another means, like a metal baffle, would need to be used.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-13-2009 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #29
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
As i said a little earlier the 2nd and 3rd pic in his first post are more accurate of what it looks like in real life.....its hard to take pics of the lights accurately
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #30
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
"Angel eyes" (halos) design analysis

I've looked more closely at BMW's design of the lighting system. The reason the inner rings are lit much more brightly than the outers is they receive light directly from the H8 bulb via a reflector. The cornering lights set in front of these bulbs, but there is a lot of room for light to pass through. In additon, the cornering light assembly has holes which allow this light into that center lens.

In contrast, the outer rings receive light optic "light pipes" with only two small aperatures to access the H8 bulb through its reflector. It doesn't stand a chance of being as bright as the inner rings by design.

The solution to somewhat equalize them in this HID case would be to interrupt some of the direct light with a metal baffle of some sort right behind the cornering light reflector. The danger might be trapping too much heat. Also, I think, due to limited access, this might be almost impossible to do without removing and disassembling the light unit. I do think the inners are a little too bright with the HIDs. Hmmm, what to do...
Attached Images

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-06-2009 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 12:49 AM   #31
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
I've looked more closely at BMW's design of the lighting system. The reason the inner rings are lit much more brightly than the outers is they receive light directly from the H8 bulb via a reflector. The cornering lights set in front of these bulbs, but there is a lot of room for light to pass through. In additon, the cornering light assembly has holes which allow this light into that center lens.

In contrast, the outer rings receive light optic "light pipes" with only two small aperatures to access the H8 bulb through its reflector. It doesn't stand a chance of being as bright as the inner rings by design.

The solution to somewhat equalize them in this HID case would be to interrupt some of the direct light with a metal baffle of some sort right behind the cornering light reflector. The danger might be trapping too much heat. Also, I think, due to limited access, this might be almost impossible to do without removing and disassembling the light unit. I do think the inners are a little too bright with the HIDs. Hmmm, what to do...
Yea thats why alot of people say the e92 recieved crappy halo's.... its kinda true but....... It doesnt bother me that the inner rings are brighter. Because the outer rings have the headlights inside of them so i wouldnt want those too much brighter.

Let us know if you come up with an idea to help out BMW's crappy lighting technique.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #32
hankit
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

GregW, do you actually need to cut a way small pieces of the plastic on top of the box in order for the wires to come out so that you can lay it to your right headlamps?

I remember reading the instructions somewhere that you might need to cut a tiny piece from the top cover of the in order to get the wires out for the right...

I'm still trying to figure out if this solution is the best for the rings...when you're driving with the rings on...does the ring tends to become brighter than the lamps...or they are about the same?

Like some opinions here, I'm those like the looks but don't want to blind other driver..

thanks!

LET ME SHIFT *CLICK CLICK*
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #33
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Hey Greg, Sent you a PM.

Could you hit me back with a reply
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #34
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
HID halos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankit View Post
GregW, do you actually need to cut a way small pieces of the plastic on top of the box in order for the wires to come out so that you can lay it to your right headlamps?

I remember reading the instructions somewhere that you might need to cut a tiny piece from the top cover of the in order to get the wires out for the right...
Yes--I notched both the cover and the corresponding lip on the housing slightly with a Dremel and conical abrasive bit. You pull the gasket out of the cover before notching. It should maintaina a good seal.

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out if this solution is the best for the rings...when you're driving with the rings on...does the ring tends to become brighter than the lamps...or they are about the same?

Like some opinions here, I'm those like the looks but don't want to blind other driver..
The rings are certainly no brighter than headlights. IMO, I don't think it's a big problem. With the headlights on, however, it may look like you have all four lights on since some of the light from the inner rings illuminates the cornering light reflector. I haven't had anyone flash me yet.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #35
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Hey Greg, Sent you a PM.

Could you hit me back with a reply
Mailbox was full--try again, please.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #36
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
Yea i was going to encase the circuit for strictly cosmetic reasons..... with the 3 beta cars we have all been running the circuit in the headlight area and have had zero problems.....thing is though it gets tucked away and you never see it. I can def. get a water proof circuit box for it but it will be too big to put in the headlight area you will have to hid it somewhere in the engine bay
Is that circuit producing any heat? If not, or negligible heat, you could simply use shrink tubing to encapsulate the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #37
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Is that circuit producing any heat? If not, or negligible heat, you could simply use shrink tubing to encapsulate the whole thing.
Yea im trying this today actually because it doesn't produce hardly any heat. Im also trying an epoxy resin to encase the whole thing to also protect it. This way it should also add some strength and rigidity.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #38
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
As i said a little earlier the 2nd and 3rd pic in his first post are more accurate of what it looks like in real life.....its hard to take pics of the lights accurately
Do you have the ability to tune down the brightness/luminosity of these units as you're putting them together, or is that out of your control?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #39
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Do you have the ability to tune down the brightness/luminosity of these units as you're putting them together, or is that out of your control?
like i said before... if you look at the first post in the thread the 2nd and third pics are more accurate representations of the kit. Its not that bright. You def. couldnt use it as a headlight or anything.

But no you cant turn down the voltage on an hid kit because they need so many volts to stay light. They cant dim up and down like a halogen
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #40
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
VERY expensive mistake!

Okay, I'm pretty sheepish about this. After I installed my halo kit I noticed my TPMS system was not working. I could see no rational connection between the two events, so I just took it into the dealer assuming it was a warranty item. Last Friday they replaced the TPMS controller, as instructed by the diagnostic analysis, and after recoding all day, the warning light would still not go off.

Took it back today. Eventually, what they found was that I had drilled through a wiring harness that runs across under the front cowl. Of you'll look at my last picture in the OP, you'll see I zip tied the cross cable by drilling some 1/8" holes along the edge of the cowl. Duh, didn't look underneath first!

$868 later my TPMS works again! F**K! Stupid! So, don't follow my pictures verbatim.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #41
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Okay, I'm pretty sheepish about this. After I installed my halo kit I noticed my TPMS system was not working. I could see no rational connection between the two events, so I just took it into the dealer assuming it was a warranty item. Last Friday they replaced the TPMS controller, as instructed by the diagnostic analysis, and after recoding all day, the warning light would still not go off.

Took it back today. Eventually, what they found was that I had drilled through a wiring harness that runs across under the front cowl. Of you'll look at my last picture in the OP, you'll see I zip tied the cross cable by drilling some 1/8" holes along the edge of the cowl. Duh, didn't look underneath first!

$868 later my TPMS works again! F**K! Stupid! So, don't follow my pictures verbatim.
WOW that sucks sorry to hear that...

I tuck my wires under the fan shroud and ziptie it before entering and after entering the fan shroud to keep it from falling.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #42
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
WOW that sucks sorry to hear that...

I tuck my wires under the fan shroud and ziptie it before entering and after entering the fan shroud to keep it from falling.

When we installed it today, we took off that plastic sleeve and wrapped everything in OEM electrical tape. Since the harness is much thinner that way. We can tuck it pretty discretely just above where Chris's tuck his harness.
      01-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #43
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:

OUCH!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #44
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Sorry to hear about that $868 greg...meant to ask, does the color/bulb temp change to a more yellow color when you turn the lights on like it does with the normal halos? I'm assuming the answer is no because of the separate ballasts.
Appreciate 0