BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Another X-pipe/ECU Question after dealer software update

Ok. i know. I modded my car. I take the risks of warranty issues. Its my fault. blah blah blah. Here is my question though. Has anyone taken a cat-less x-pipe car (with obviously an ECU flash for no CEL) to a dealer to find that the dealer updated the software? I'm sure the dealer is going to question why the CEL is coming on and know right away the reason why. Any experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I doubt most of them would pay that close attention

Plus the forward cats are obscured by a skid plate so it's hard to see they're missing unless you're specifically looking for them.

IMO we (myself included) worry way too much about what dealers think. They don't own our cars, we own them. They're our property, and we can do whatever we want with them without their blessing or permission. If something specifically related to a mod breaks or causes something else to break, then yeah - that's not the dealer's responsibility to fix. But otherwise.. it's none of their business.
      12-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Actually it is really easy to see the cats are removed in my opinion. No dealer should be flashing your ECU without asking you first. If you are worried just tell your SA to call you before any work other than what you brought the car in for is performed.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
No dealer should be flashing your ECU without asking you first.
Incorrect, it is our responsability to fix your car. You, need to let us know if you have something done to your car, software, so my techs don't have to spend a day chasing their tails...around trying to fix a problem that is not there.

For example: If you are bringing your car in for a check engine light, and don't have any cats, let the dealer know if you have software that would delete the secondary O2's.

Quote:
If you are worried just tell your SA to call you before any work other than what you brought the car in for is performed.
This is spot on! Nobody is going to call the EPA or Greenpeace for modifying your car.

Approach your service advisor with this question:

"Is this going to be an issue?"
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

+1,

Allways good to hear it from the Tech's that know what their talking about.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks guys. I'm sure my wife is going to give me enough crap about the car (i.e. you are polluting, etc.). Thats why we are getting her a Prius to offset the pollution from the M running catless. I'm always upfront with my service advisor. He is a good guy. Thanks for everyone's input.
Appreciate 0