BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #23
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
No body neeeds height adjustability, they just want it
sure they do us track monkeys.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
sure they do us track monkeys.
Track monkeys need stiffer springs, dampening & camber more than they need height adjustability.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #25
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Track monkeys need stiffer springs, dampening & camber more than they need height adjustability.
yes and corner balancing. as bigjae pointed out, its pretty well set until you start taking everything out of the interior, putting in cages, diferent seats, aero, and on and on. its all part of the bigger whole.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #26
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Randy pobst puts some awesome times on a stock car though. I need to get at that level lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #27
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Randy pobst puts some awesome times on a stock car though. I need to get at that level lol.
good luck. im gonna fake it til i make it.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #28
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
good luck. im gonna fake it til i make it.
Hence the lol in my post. Pretty much impossible unless i quit my job, bottomless pit of money and rent a shack by the track. Ha

Was watching the new motor trend hot laps for 2013 drivers car of the year.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #29
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hence the lol in my post. Pretty much impossible unless i quit my job, bottomless pit of money and rent a shack by the track. Ha

Was watching the new motor trend hot laps for 2013 drivers car of the year.
im good at faking it and i do drive flat out. im a serious driver not to be messed with.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #30
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 哇靠M3 View Post
Just wanted to ask for some opinions as I always find this forum to be helpful.

Car Specs:
  • 2009 M3 w/ around 30k miles on OEM suspensions (zero tweaks) - 65% highway driving
  • currently on 18x9.5 ET20 / 18x10.5 ET25 - 265/35/18 Front & 285/35/18
  • driving mostly between San Francisco and San Mateo area.

So here's the dilemma. I've been reading that because Kw Sleeve are only spring + bump stop setup, the OEM shocks will soon give out because of the spring rates. With 30k miles on the car already... Is it a bad thing to consider a Sleeve setup as the shocks were aged already. Does that mean that my OEM shocks will give out even sooner when I put the sleeve setup on my car?

What are your thoughts?

Should, I pass on the sleeve and go V3 (i'm not a track junkie)? Thanks for your help.
I'd skip the sleeve kit & either stay stock or go for coilover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
Anytime you lower your car, you will lessen the life of your shocks. Instead of spending more than you have to on the KW sleeve kit, I'd recommend Swift springs. If you're not going to be tracking (and even if you were) they give the car a nice drop and handle great. Also, the ride is very much stock like. All in all, i'm VERY happy with my Swift purchase.

IMO, there's no reason to get a full coilover kit unless youre gonna be tracking your car.
Some of the coilovers on the market are simply amazing on pedestrian roads. The ride quality of my JRZ RS Pro at street settings (3 clicks from softest for me) is supple and superb. M3's should've come from the factory like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
the problems with the sleeve kit have far less to do with damaging your shocks and far more to do with the fact that it is a half assed solution to dropping your car. it is basically all about aesthetics (which is fine), but will cause your car to handle and ride worse. every wrench turn lower that you make will cause these problems to get worse.

if you want the car to ride well and handle well going lower, you have two options. 1 would be a dinan setup, which is OK because it doesn't drop the car much, and it does allow for more damper travel before hitting the bump stops which helps. 2 would be a high end coilover kit with high level dampers, akin to an ohlins RT setup which costs 3k.

outside of those options, I wouldn't recommend anything else, and would stay stock.
Half assed solution indeed. And, some of us even tracked/track with it.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #31
哇靠M3
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
I'd skip the sleeve kit & either stay stock or go for coilover.

Some of the coilovers on the market are simply amazing on pedestrian roads. The ride quality of my JRZ RS Pro at street settings (3 clicks from softest for me) is supple and superb. M3's should've come from the factory like that...

Half assed solution indeed. And, some of us even tracked/track with it.
Thanks, I definitely don't want a halfass setup for my ultimate driving machine. I'm not a track junkie, also don't know much about all these settings. Maybe I'll do v3 coils as a introductory dummy coil setup to have some fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #32
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 哇靠M3 View Post
Thanks, I definitely don't want a halfass setup for my ultimate driving machine. I'm not a track junkie, also don't know much about all these settings. Maybe I'll do v3 coils as a introductory dummy coil setup to have some fun.
are you sure you need a coilover kit?

stock really is the best option for someone in your situation. or dinan.

remember, even the best kits start handling worse and have ride quality issues when they are lowered too much. you really cant drop these cars more than an inch and retain good handling and ride characteristics without making a lot more changes to other suspension components.
Appreciate 0