BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

07-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Update-Installation Questions "Completed"! AUTOcoture to the rescue!

So I ordered the ARKYM Motorsport Lip and I'm trying to figure out how to install it (it didn't come with any instructions). I know I should take it to a body shop and I may but, I'd still like to know how ARKYM proposes that this be installed.

It came with a hardware packet containing 7 self taping screws with rubber washers and a bunch of rivets. There are 9 pre drilled holes along the back edges of the lip (which I guess is where the 7 screws get used. I'll figure that math out later) but there are no holes anywhere along the front where it attaches to the front of the bumper. That leads me to believe you'd have to use some 3M tape or some type of adhesive (Beta Link?) but, I think its a little to heavy for just tape.

Has anyone else installed one of these successfully yet? Any tips or suggestions (I know, take it to a body shop)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your "helpful" knowledge.

Update:

So I am glad I didn't attempt this on my own. It was somewhat more difficult than I first thought and I'm not sure I would have had the patience to do it right. I was already scheduled to make a trip to AUTOcoture for some other stuff and they agreed to take this on.
They ended up using the self tapping screws across the front of the lip screwing them in from behind the bumper along with a healthy amount of two sided tape. Additionally, they reused the stock wire cable hangers and 6 bolts in the fender liners. That things on solid. I'm holding off on installing the ducts for now (until have a upcoming track day) but, I think it looks great and while I don't own a wind tunnel I can feel the extra down force created by this.

Thanks to the guys at AUTOcoture for always going the extra distance for their customers!

Sorry for the crappy phone pics but, I cant find my camera cable.
Attached Images

Last edited by Space Ghost; 08-02-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
PYSpeed.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BC Forged Wheels

Space Ghost - Here are the Arkym E9X M3 MotorSport Lip Instructions, hope it helps. Can't wait to see it!

Arkym E9X M3 MotorSport Lip Instructions

***WARNING***
Installation of the MotorSport lip is extremely recommended to be installed by a professional bodyshop due to additional hardware attachments to the OEM front bumper.
***WARNING***

Included Hardware
7x Self-Tapping Hardware Screws (For use in mounting Backside of Lip to OEM Front Bumper).
20 Rivets (10 each for use with Modular Brake Ducting L/R)
4x Nut/Bolt Combination (For industrial mounting of wheel well lining to wheel well support of FLS Lip).

It is mandatory for removal of the OEM front bumper during installation of the ARKYM E9X Motorsport lip as mounting of the 7 self-tapping screws requires precision placement and absolute attachment downward (through the OEM bumper, through Motorsport lip) inbetween a layer of 3M exterior super strength double sided tape. Optional: If consumer is looking to install/reinstall Motorsport Lip, it is suggested to replace the self-tapping screws with equivalent amount of Nut/Bolt combinations i.e. a more secure and reusable 7 bolt and 7 nut/washer combination of hardware to the back mounting edge of the Motorsport Lip. Consult bodyshop as needed.

Before fitment and reinstallation to vehicle, modification of OEM wheel well lining is required for modular brake ducting feature to work. Cutaway template of modular brake ducts are exact reverse of brake duct outlets position on the OEM Wheel lining. Rivet into place at each rivet hole location for secure installation. Take note of final position of brake ducts when creating wheel well template, as the slip-on nature of the brake ducts are a precise fitment feature to function properly.

OEM attachment cables (2 per side) can be mounted through the Motorsport lip for increased mounting support at consumer discretion (or otherwise removed entirely). Rear attachement points of the Motorsport FLS bolt onto OEM location using existing OEM hardware (3 screws).

Professional body shop installation is HIGHLY recommended as this is a functional hardware upgrade to the aerodynamics of the E9X M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

OP if ur not mechanically incline or have the proper tools u need to take it to a shop reason being there is a bunch of shit u need to take out.
      07-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Oppps forgot to add it is easy to install though....

For easy install

Put front on jack or ramp

Take the fender liner on each wheels side

Remove all screw in the bottom

Now goodluck on taking them apart and installing its easy just need patients plus since its not oem u need a little modification no doubt.. I had to do little modification to my akrym lip version 1
      07-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks PYSPEED and Sean.

So I guess it is OK to drill holes in the carbon fiber where I need to use either the self tapping screws or bolts (I think I will end up using bolts)?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update in first post.
Appreciate 0