BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: Canon Powershot G9 or Canon Rebel Xti/ Xsi
Powershot G9 2 11.76%
Rebel Xti/ Xsi 15 88.24%
Other.. (please provide brand, model and price) 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

09-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Powershot G9 or Rebel Xti/ Xsi

Ok, its time to get another camera... I've been so fed up without having a good camera (I sold my Xti about 6 Months ago, matter of fact, it was to a member on here).. anyways, I've done some research and have actually been eyeballing the Powershot G9 for a while now... That and the reason why I sold the Xti was because the XSi was coming out so I was going to get that. I just don't know if I want to lug that thing around again.. I know the Xsi is a little smaller than the Xti but still.. with all the crap the architecture school requires me to carry around, I dono if I'll have the guts to take the Xti/ Xsi around with me everywhere I go.. If I got the G9, I could keep it in my messenger bag .. In NYC anything can happen, I see so many nice cars I wanna take pictures of and soooooo many stunning buildings I want to capture. If any of you have any experience with the Powershot G9 and the Rebel Xti/ Xsi, please give some feedback, I will be doing some more research also (power to google! ).. Btw, I will be using the camera to take pictures of mainly, buildings, portraits, cars, scenery, basically the whole package lol..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Rebel Xsi all the way! The G9 is still around $500, which IMO is too much to pay for a point and shoot. Especially when an XSi can be had for $700 with lens (you can probably do better too in some cases). I don't care if it has manual settings, 12MP with that small of an image sensor is going to result in digital noise. And the included lens has a few flaws:
1. It's only 35mm at the wide end, which isn't too wide-angle
2. At the 210mm telephoto, the aperture is f/8.0 at best
[Edit: I was wrong about this: 3. No image stabilization]

I'm still a beginner at photography, and I understand your concern about carrying it everywhere... But I love the image quality on my new Rebel XSi, it blows away my old P&S. And if you check out Tamrac.com they have some good messenger bags and backpacks that serve as dual purpose camera-bags and overall carrybags.

Last edited by Gig103; 09-14-2008 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Rebel Xsi all the way! The G9 is still around $500, which IMO is too much to pay for a point and shoot. Especially when an XSi can be had for $700 with lens (you can probably do better too in some cases). I don't care if it has manual settings, 12MP with that small of an image sensor is going to result in digital noise. And the included lens has a few flaws:
1. It's only 35mm at the wide end, which isn't too wide-angle
2. At the 210mm telephoto, the aperture is f/8.0 at best
3. No image stabilization

I'm still a beginner at photography, and I understand your concern about carrying it everywhere... But I love the image quality on my new Rebel XSi, it blows away my old P&S. And if you check out Tamrac.com they have some good messenger bags and backpacks that serve as dual purpose camera-bags and overall carrybags.
It actually does have a IS integrated into the lens.. but I do agree, I fear that I'll be disapointed because it might not be able to live up to the standards of my old Xti.....
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

I was just about to start a similar thread so I will chime in here. I got an XTi about 2 months ago but only had about a week's worth of shooting time. I was looking at the XSi and noticed it's actually a bit taller than the XTi. I think the image quality on the XTi is pretty good and I'm sure the XSi's image quality is a little bit better due to a new image processor.

The XTi is still going for around $580-615 while the XSi w/kit lens can be had for about $670 shipped on Amazon. So I would definitely go for the XSi. I just checked out the XS today and it looked cheap. And while I like the layout of the XTi better, the XSi should be a better camera function-wise since it effectively replaced the XTi.

I think if you won't be able to carry an SLR around then just go with the G9 or just a regular P&S. If you're really looking at an SLR then you should look at the Nikon D80 as well. I noticed that the D80 has better image quality than the XTi and XSi (based on pictures I've seen online and I don't think they had much processing done).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #5
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Oh, my mistake about IS...

By the way, the XS doesn't seem to be worth the minor savings. No ISO button, less AF zones, and it feels slightly cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I decided to go with a P&S, I really don't want to carry around a DSLR for now.. I will eventually get another one but for now I think the P&S is the best route for me, please see my other thread!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

The best camera for the job is the one you actually decide to carry. I have lots of heavy photo gear (and lugged about 25 lbs. of it across Australia all last summer) and can tell you that there are times when lightest is best.

Translation: If you had an XTi and you are worried about the weight, don't get an XSi. I own an XSi. Yes it's lighter than an XTi, but not *that* much lighter.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
The best camera for the job is the one you actually decide to carry. I have lots of heavy photo gear (and lugged about 25 lbs. of it across Australia all last summer) and can tell you that there are times when lightest is best.

Translation: If you had an XTi and you are worried about the weight, don't get an XSi. I own an XSi. Yes it's lighter than an XTi, but not *that* much lighter.
Thanks! That is exactly what my dilemma was, but my friend doesnt seem to understand and she keeps telling me to just get like a Nikon D40 , I am eyeballing a Leica D-Lux 3 that I found on Craigslist for a pretty good price. Eventually, I will get another DSLR, but for now and for the future I think I am in need of a good P&S, as soon as I get this, a am posting my Sonycybershot for sale.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
crxb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
I decided to go with a P&S, I really don't want to carry around a DSLR for now.. I will eventually get another one but for now I think the P&S is the best route for me, please see my other thread!

That is true. I have lugged my DSLR to Disney and many other trips. Last time to Disney I brought the DSLR and the G9 - I used the G9 almost the entire time. Easy to carry and it shots raw. So when you dont want to carry all your DSLR gear the G9 is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxb View Post
That is true. I have lugged my DSLR to Disney and many other trips. Last time to Disney I brought the DSLR and the G9 - I used the G9 almost the entire time. Easy to carry and it shots raw. So when you dont want to carry all your DSLR gear the G9 is the way to go.
The only problem with what you are saying is that I've heard some problems with the G9 during wide angle zooms, the quality of the picture gets distorted... also it is a little bigger than what I would like to carry around comfortably, hence why I am leaning more towards the Leica D-Lux 3
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
crxb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002

look on the dpreview.com web site

you can do a search on both cameras and see what others have to say

in the forums and the actual camera reviews on the site

great photography site
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #12
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxb View Post
look on the dpreview.com web site

you can do a search on both cameras and see what others have to say

in the forums and the actual camera reviews on the site

great photography site
Thanks man, yeah I was on that site and a bunch of other ones I found through goggle yesterday for like six hours... haha, I think I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from either cameras.. I found a great deal on craigslit and was supposed to pick up the Leica D-Lux 3 with the leather case, 4gb sd card and everything else that it comes with for $370, but the guy wasnt able to meet up today
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s

rebel pleez
g9 is too limiting and the lens is weak..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #14
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

wow i was just about to make this very same poll g9 vs xsi lol.

and this was only made a few days ago. ok but now i have a new question.

is this too good to be true?

XSI - $249! - http://photodynasty.com/catalog/prod...ff5c4f0864e460

G9 - $279 - http://photodynasty.com/catalog/prod...ff5c4f0864e460

am i just a prodigy price hunter, or is this site shady.... please please, someone reply cuz i wanna get it right now!

!!!!!eDit; guys dont fucking buy from photo dynasty. theyre scammers!

Last edited by uhaulball; 09-19-2008 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
wow i was just about to make this very same poll g9 vs xsi lol.

and this was only made a few days ago. ok but now i have a new question.

is this too good to be true?

XSI - $249! - http://photodynasty.com/catalog/prod...ff5c4f0864e460

G9 - $279 - http://photodynasty.com/catalog/prod...ff5c4f0864e460

am i just a prodigy price hunter, or is this site shady.... please please, someone reply cuz i wanna get it right now!

!!!!!eDit; guys dont fucking buy from photo dynasty. theyre scammers!
yeah dude, same shit happened to me when I was buying my XTi about a year ago.. good thing I researched for like 2 days.. The site I was going to get it on was like 399 from the retail 799 lol.. I ended up printing out a price quote from Adorama and taking it to bestbuy. they priced matched it and I was a happy camper
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #16
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
yeah dude, same shit happened to me when I was buying my XTi about a year ago.. good thing I researched for like 2 days.. The site I was going to get it on was like 399 from the retail 799 lol.. I ended up printing out a price quote from Adorama and taking it to bestbuy. they priced matched it and I was a happy camper
wait wait, this gay day can turn into an awesome one. so ur saying adorama price matches or best buy.
      09-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #17
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
wait wait, this gay day can turn into an awesome one. so ur saying adorama price matches or best buy.
best buy price matches... but sometimes they might refuse and be gay, saying that the price quote has to be from a "local" store in order for them to match the price or do better... just be nice to the person and make sure when you get helped, you get helped by the manager of that section (camera/ video sales manager).. I got a price match and a 2 gb CF card for free
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Canon G10