BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

08-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #23
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

what ever happened to good old fashioned coffee? No calories and much cheaper than this junk.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #24
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom330 View Post
what ever happened to good old fashioned coffee? No calories and much cheaper than this junk.
I'll speak for myself. I have been a coffee drinker for a long time. I ground the coffee beans at home and made my own Americano (no sugar or anything else). This would give me a good and strong 16 oz. cup that I would drink at home. It also provided a second good and strong 16 oz. cup to take to work. That second cup would last a couple hours. Then after drinking it, before lunch time, I would already be crashing. Working at my desk it would be hard to stay awake, much less alert.

I quit coffee a couple months ago.

The energy drinks mostly have far less caffeine than you get in coffee.

But I would like to know more about the energy producing chemicals they put in these energy drinks. I would like to have a better idea of whether they really should be avoided for any potential health hazard. If you know something about it, then tell it.
      08-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #25
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
On the back of Monster drinks, theres a label telling you not to drink more than 3 daily. I drink them everyday and they've helped me tone up a lot by having one right before I exercise. I wouldnt recommend them for the older folk.
      08-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Go to Trader Joes and get their B-12/Folic acid/B-6 sublingual (under your tongue) tablets for about $5. It's the same as the 4-6hour things but much cheaper. I pop a few if I'm getting tired, and go for a walk around the office.

What I really need to do is get more than 6 hours a night, but that just doesn't happen. . .
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #27
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom330 View Post
No calories and much cheaper than this junk.
Coffee is very low calorie (around 2 calories), but alot of drinkers add sugar, milk, half and half, etc. which can significantly raise the calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
But I would like to know more about the energy producing chemicals they put in these energy drinks. I would like to have a better idea of whether they really should be avoided for any potential health hazard. If you know something about it, then tell it.
Energy drinks are largely sugar and caffeine. The other common ingredients added to the drinks (guarana, taurine, ginseng) have no energy boosting value. Sugar is your enemy. Sugar and other refined carbohydrates cause stress in the body. A rise in blood sugar causes fatigue and mood swings among other things. It makes you FAT too which leads to a whole host of diseases.

Caffeine increases heart rate, can cause headaches, dehydrates you, and can lead to sleep problems. If you are taking any medications, I would definitely avoid energy drinks.

REAL energy is found in a balanced diet. Sound cliche, but it's the damn truth. The US doesn't like to hear this, but we are FAT and DISEASED. (Organic) Fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins will keep you satisfied, energetic, and healthy. Make sure you are sleep and drink water too!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #28
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

i like hype and + the c/f can looks nice
      08-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #29
unagi1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 WRX, 2014 C63 507, 91 Mr2

Bring back the original Jolt Cola!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #30
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
A buddy of mine mentioned this to me. After doing some research, it turns out Taurine is actually good for you. It reduces your blood pressure, prevents diabetes and helps prevent alcohol relapse if you're an alcoholic. lol

Turns out it's pretty good for you, but no more than 3g per day. . .
word. the 3g upper limit is iffy, but anything beyond it probably isnt beneficial.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #31
///sniper
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30 [AW/Coral Red]

Screw all those other energy drinks. This little 'diabetes-in-can' kept me up for hours. There was this one gas station that still had it on the fountain for about a year after it was discontinued. I was so happy and then they finally ran out of the syrup. Now Coca-Cola is trying to spin-off this Vault drink that I'm sure will be discontinued sometime soon...

08-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #32
BayAreaE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91' 850i

Garage List
1991 850i  [7.75]
2007 328i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I'll speak for myself. I have been a coffee drinker for a long time. I ground the coffee beans at home and made my own Americano (no sugar or anything else). This would give me a good and strong 16 oz. cup that I would drink at home. It also provided a second good and strong 16 oz. cup to take to work. That second cup would last a couple hours. Then after drinking it, before lunch time, I would already be crashing. Working at my desk it would be hard to stay awake, much less alert.

I quit coffee a couple months ago.

The energy drinks mostly have far less caffeine than you get in coffee.

Finally some use for that damn Bio degree

Mostly B-Vitamins, naturally occurring chemicals for neuro function (inositol, lutein, etc), sugar and caffeine. The only thing really harmful in the energy drinks is the caffeine, which becomes pretty toxic after ~600 mg. Taurine is an amino sulfonic acid produced by the body and no amount of ingested taurine could stop you from producing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #33
MrToad
I rike bee em dub u
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I actually really like the taste of vault but don't know whether or not it give you energy or any sort of boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///sniper View Post
Screw all those other energy drinks. This little 'diabetes-in-can' kept me up for hours. There was this one gas station that still had it on the fountain for about a year after it was discontinued. I was so happy and then they finally ran out of the syrup. Now Coca-Cola is trying to spin-off this Vault drink that I'm sure will be discontinued sometime soon...

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #34
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I remember finding Surge at Chuck E. Cheese's fountain drinks, and the little kids were filling their bottles!! I couldn't stop that one, I had to give the mom a piece of my mind. those kids are so tweaked on cardboard-flavored pizza and miniature-mania, they didn't need Surge on top of it!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #35
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Anyone seen this ANTI-energy drink?

http://www.drankbeverage.com

Think I'll try one sometime.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #36
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
it is. makes me post 120 posts per hour + makes me jump the walls. bad bad
does it works on bmw engine if I pour a bottle into the gas tank> and give me 0-60 under 4 sec
      08-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #37
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Anyone seen this ANTI-energy drink?

http://www.drankbeverage.com

Think I'll try one sometime.
damn LOL is this just another alcoholic beverage?

funny how they made this....wonder if it tastes like nyquil??
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #38
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I think I am programmed backwards. I can slam one of the mentioned drinks and need to take a nap nap. I like the taste of Monster Mocha Latte, but nada results. I should just throw the $3 out the window and let the wind wake me up. But if I take a Valium or other like pill I feel like running on the ceiling.
      08-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #39
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I think I am programmed backwards. I can slam one of the mentioned drinks and need to take a nap nap. I like the taste of Monster Mocha Latte, but nada results. I should just throw the $3 out the window and let the wind wake me up. But if I take a Valium or other like pill I feel like running on the ceiling.
dude, you're like me. my body has become somewhat immune to these highly caffeinated drinks......the only thing that may work on me is the 5-hour energy which may sort of have a placebo effect on me which may just keep me awake lol
Appreciate 0