BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

12-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

09 iDrive Traffic Conditions...

I have the 09 M3 with iDrive, but I did not opt for the Concierge service. I believe that I am getting real time traffic reports though. I thought that traffic only came with the Internet/Concierge service... ?

Another thing you may or may not know is that with the map on resolution of 5 miles or more, the traffic reports show up as yellow highlights on the appropriate spots on the map. Pretty neat.

Also one other thing, maybe new or not on 09, but keep pressing the phone button the steering wheel, and you get a list of last dialed numbers... very handy and you can scroll them with the wheel. Nice. There's all kinds of surprises as you fiddle around with the 09 iDrive...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
pilot_bro2003
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e xDrive iPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtom3 View Post
I have the 09 M3 with iDrive, but I did not opt for the Concierge service. I believe that I am getting real time traffic reports though. I thought that traffic only came with the Internet/Concierge service... ?

Another thing you may or may not know is that with the map on resolution of 5 miles or more, the traffic reports show up as yellow highlights on the appropriate spots on the map. Pretty neat.

Also one other thing, maybe new or not on 09, but keep pressing the phone button the steering wheel, and you get a list of last dialed numbers... very handy and you can scroll them with the wheel. Nice. There's all kinds of surprises as you fiddle around with the 09 iDrive...

Yeah you're right you don't need the concierge for the RTTI. That's part of the NAVI deal.

There are a lot of neat little trick with this new system. I've gotten so accustomed to the previous generation, I'm finding it more difficult to learn this one as efficient as I learned the previous one! I guess I need to...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtom3 View Post

The Concierge service has nothing to do witht he traffic. The traffic comes in via the FM signal (through the Clear Channel network). I suspect this is why BMW made HD radio mandatory, because the bandwidth for traffic reports is more signficant. Anyway, BMW says that all owners will get it free as long as they maintain their contract with Clear Channel.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
The Concierge service has nothing to do witht he traffic. The traffic comes in via the FM signal (through the Clear Channel network). I suspect this is why BMW made HD radio mandatory, because the bandwidth for traffic reports is more signficant. Anyway, BMW says that all owners will get it free as long as they maintain their contract with Clear Channel.
The RTTI signal from clear channel has nothing to do with HD radio.
Appreciate 0