BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
New to US tracks (and pretty new in general). Looking to start going to HPDE events. Looking for a good beginners track, as well as good beginners instruction (while I have been to a couple track days abroad, I had zero instruction, basically sucked, and really didn't get much out of them). I live in Boston, so looking to stay as close as possible. I saw some events at Watkins Glen (and so far this looks like my best bet) - is there anything closer? Thanks!

Any general recommendations with this regard would be appreciated as well (like which kind of instructors or tracks I should avoid for now?).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Lime Rock is probably closer for you. Driving a few hours is the norm for most trackaholics. Watkins Glen is probably considered reasonably local.

Join your local BMWCCA chapter and look at their HPDE events. Other BMWCCA chapters (as well as PCA) run other tracks - and have good, structured instruction.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

BMW CCA Boston or White Mountain are your closest BMW clubs. They have active HPDE events, primarily using New Hampshire Motor Speedway at Loudon and Devens airfield for Auto-X stuff. They also have an annual 3 day event at Mount Tremblant outside Montreal. Next closest is Lime Rock Park in NW CT. Try Motorsportsreg.com for a comprehensive list of local events and clubs.

New Jersey Motorsports Park is worth the ride for a two day event.
      08-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
Lime Rock is probably closer for you. Driving a few hours is the norm for most trackaholics. Watkins Glen is probably considered reasonably local.

Join your local BMWCCA chapter and look at their HPDE events. Other BMWCCA chapters (as well as PCA) run other tracks - and have good, structured instruction.
Thanks - joined today, but nothing on the near schedule except WG... I guess that I just need to get used to the distances here...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
BMW CCA Boston or White Mountain are your closest BMW clubs. They have active HPDE events, primarily using New Hampshire Motor Speedway at Loudon and Devens airfield for Auto-X stuff. They also have an annual 3 day event at Mount Tremblant outside Montreal. Next closest is Lime Rock Park in NW CT. Try Motorsportsreg.com for a comprehensive list of local events and clubs.

New Jersey Motorsports Park is worth the ride for a two day event.
Thank you much - very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

Sign up for a BMWCCA membership. All club events will require you to be a current member to participate. Then, you'll get periodic newsletters (emails) informing you of (somewhat) nearby events. All events are listed on their website (http://www.bmwcca.org/events/calendar), with links(!), but I don't see a way to filter by region. So, these are the ones from the most recent regional event newsletter (I had to copy/paste, as I can't seem to find a link to an online version of the newsletter):

August 21-22 | Genesee Valley Chapter HPDE at Watkin Glen

Genesee Valley Chapter will host a mid-week Advanced Driving Training Program at Watkins Glen International.

Location: Watkins Glen International Raceway, Watkins Glen, NY

August 23-25 | Delaware Valley Chapter Club Race and Driving School

Come join DelVal for our New Jersey Club Race and Driving School August 23-25. The first day will feature an open track for solo advanced drivers, and racers, as well as an enduro race. Saturday and Sunday will include a DE as well as Club Races.

Location: New Jersey Motorsports Park, 47 Warbird Drive, Millville, NJ

September 7-8 | New Jersey Chapter Driving School at Summit Point

The New Jersey chapter's annual two-day driving school on the Shenandoah Circuit at SPR. We will have three student run groups and two days of skid pad training for all students. Driving Shenandoah will make you better on every other track. Small run groups mean plenty of open track for learning—come on out!

September 18-19 | Boston Chapter HPDS at Watkins Glen

Once again the Boston Chapter is proud to host a Driving School at Watkins Glen International. The Glen is a large track (3.5 miles) which is known for its elevation changes; there is over a 100 foot difference between the highest and lowest sections of the track.

September 20-22 | Genesee Valley Chapter HPDE and Club Race at WGI

The Genesee Valley Chapter will host its annual Fall Advanced Driver Training Program and Stan Parker Memorial Club Race at Watkins Glen International! In addition to the weekend sprint and enduro races, there will be a three-hour Endurance Race on Friday afternoon.

October 4 | Connecticut Valley Chapter Driving School at Lime Rock

Join the Connecticut Valley Chapter for an all day Driving School at Lime Rock Park on Friday, October 4! All run groups will get four, 20-minute track sessions! Drivers are placed in appropriate run groups based on experience.

October 5-6 | Delaware Valley Chapter Driving School at Pocono Raceway

Join us on the newly paved Pocono Raceway in October! Our plan is to drive the new Southeast circuit on October 5-6. Come drive this new venue—the fall colors will be magnificent!

October 5 | Patroon Chapter HPDE at Lime Rock

Patroon Chapter is hosting our fall Lime Rock Park High Performance Driving Event on Saturday, October 5. Go to patroon.motorsportreg.com for registration and patroonbmw.com/driving for more information.

October 5 | White Mountain Chapter Advanced Driving Skills School

Have fun and learn important car control skills at our Advanced Driving Safety Skills school.

October 13-14 | New Jersey Chapter Introduction to the Track

The New Jersey chapter's special event combining a typical driving school with an event designed for students who have never been to the track. Novice students have a dedicated run group, classroom, skid pad, and car control exercises and can come for one or two days. Experienced students get a full two-day event.

October 18-20 | White Mountain Chapter End of Summer HPDE/Club Race

The High Performance Driving school is an excellent way for you to improve your driving skills and have fun too! We welcome the camaraderie of all enthusiasts—you don't have to own a BMW to enjoy our events!

08-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You can also search on motorsportreg, which some clubs/chapters use for registration, or try the websites of specific regional organizations like COMSCC.

You might even search for events calendars at different tracks' websites and use that to figure out which clubs are running when (assuming you don't want to wait for the next BMW CCA chapter event at that track).
      08-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here's COMSCC's calendar. I've never run with them, but they should be pretty similar to BMWCCA chapter events:

http://www.comscc.org/events/

One benefit is that you'll probably get to run with (and ride in) a wider variety of cars.
      08-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BTW, there just aren't many tracks near us. NHMS and Lime Rock Park are only about 2 hours. WG, and NJMP are probably the next closest. My goal is to hit everything within one day's drive, which should get me to Summit Point & VIR, and Mont Tremblant (been once) and Calabogie.

I have family in the midwest, so I might make it out to a couple tracks that way.
      08-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BTW, I saw a frozen blue E92, a couple weeks ago. But it had NH plates. You?
      08-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty//
BTW, I saw a frozen blue E92, a couple weeks ago. But it had NH plates. You?
Thank you man!!! I found a few prospects from your info (and signed up to the Boston chapter yesterday).

No, sorry - MA plates
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

I recommend SCDA. Check them out at SCDA1.com
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03///m3 View Post
I recommend SCDA. Check them out at SCDA1.com
Thanks. Yeah, there's that and at least one other club I'm trying to remember.

It got my hopes up, when I saw the Monticello logo on their website, but it looks like they haven't run there since 2010. I've been once, and it's a very technical track with enough turns that it actually takes a little while to learn. I've heard that they've stopped renting it out, so it's probably foolish to hold out hope for a return.
      08-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm also looking into hill climb events, aronud New England.
http://www.hillclimb.org
http://sccv.org/cms/index.php?page=Hillclimbs
If anyone has experience with these organizations or types of events, feel free to share.
      08-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty//
I'm also looking into hill climb events, aronud New England.
http://www.hillclimb.org
http://sccv.org/cms/index.php?page=Hillclimbs
If anyone has experience with these organizations or types of events, feel free to share.
Please share if you find out more. Thanks!
Appreciate 0