BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

02-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
iPhone Launch @ Verizon Today

I saw a couple of hired security guys standing at the entrance to the Verizon store near my office today when I was getting my morning coffee.

A bit too optimistic in estimating the consumer response ...Don't you think?

Last edited by Tondtar; 02-10-2011 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I saw on the news this AM that there were 35+ people standing outside (in -30F weather) at a store here downtown.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Hopefully this means a lot of slightly used Samsung Fascinates in good condition for sale... Can't wait to ditch ATT and Iphone
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
... And it has the same antenna issues as AT&T iPhone.
      02-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Verizon has 3-5 people waiting every morning, so they definitely had people waiting today
      02-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

isn't iphone5 which is 4g going to come out in June?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
... And it has the same antenna issues as AT&T iPhone.
Like the Nexus One and much of other phones have when you cover the antenna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
I doubt Apple will be putting LTE in the iPhone 5. I expect iPhone 6 or 7 will be when we will be seeing a LTE iPhone when LTE is more built up and the chips are less power hungry.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
I have seen nothing solid about a summer release for Verizon. I have a feeling they won't release more specifics on that until they're sure they've wrung as many sales as they can out of the 3G-only iPhone4 first.

In fact, the only credible buzz I've heard about release of the next iPhone for Verizon says that Apple will stagger their releases for AT&T and Verizon. I think Verizon will get an LTE iPhone in 2011, but I personally doubt it'll be June. If there is a June release, it will be a sort of "4GS"; a refresh addressing shortcomings of the current device and providing minor upgrades in hardware here and there.

Also, I know the LTE network has the capacity to handle iPhone data hogs by the millions, but I wonder how the 3G CDMA network will handle it.... It'll be interesting.

Last edited by ragingclue; 02-10-2011 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Hey, guys I'm on my way to Verizon. Would you guys say the 16gb is enough to hold a lot of shit, or play it safe with the 32?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

if you're not going to put a ton of movies/music on there, 16 should be enough. depends on how you use your phone.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I doubt Apple will be putting LTE in the iPhone 5. I expect iPhone 6 or 7 will be when we will be seeing a LTE iPhone when LTE is more built up and the chips are less power hungry.
Apple does have a few things to address already before you even consider the prospect of including an LTE chipset, such as fragility, reception, etc.... However, there are some pretty good chipsets available for LTE use (they're not as power hungry as people seem to think they are). Personally, I think iPhone having another release for Verizon without LTE capability, while the Android devices will employ LTE capability, would be ridiculous.

However, Apple can do that. Just because they're Apple. They have enough devoted sheep to make any evolution of the iPhone ridiculously profitable. The difference between LTE and the 3G CDMA is staggering. Also, it allows you to do stuff like use your Nav (data) while you're on a call (voice).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Until those idiots make a phone that isn't made out of glass, doesn't fuck up when you let someone with "bad skin" use it, and a removable battery, then I don't care. Unlimited data is nice, but damn.

Oh, and how about not releasing a new model every year?

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
vexx786
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
Until those idiots make a phone that isn't made out of glass, doesn't fuck up when you let someone with "bad skin" use it, and a removable battery, then I don't care. Unlimited data is nice, but damn.

At least they aren't like Android. Your phone can become outdated in a matter of months.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexx786 View Post
At least they aren't like Android. Your phone can become outdated in a matter of months.
Well the 2.2 OS is pretty nice. I've got an Android HTC Evo myself and I don't mind it at all (passed on iPhone mainly because of the lack of an unlimited data plan, although they do have it now, and the shitty service, which may or may not improve because of the massive amounts of people who will be getting the phone through Verizon). But I wouldn't get it because apparently another one is coming out, anyway. And in addition to that I'd just rather wait the 6 month debug period when everyone else gets the phone to find out that shit is wrong with it lol.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I have seen nothing solid about a summer release for Verizon. I have a feeling they won't release more specifics on that until they're sure they've wrung as many sales as they can out of the 3G-only iPhone4 first.
The chipset in the Verizon iPhone 4 is the same chipset that is in the Droid world phone. So the Verizon iPhone 4 already has the capability to do both CDMA and GSM. Just Apple chose to limit it to CDMA only. Also, back in January there was a prototype released which had a mini-SIM card slot and had the antenna design of the Verizon iPhone. Either that is the iPhone 5 or an early stage Verizon iPhone.

I fully expect both phones to merge eventually. Either in June or next year.

Quote:
Seriously? How do you feel about Android phones? Or hell computers? A new Droid seems to come out monthly. lol And of course computer manufactures update their models as well at least twice a year.

I just feel that remark was just a way to hate on Apple then anything else.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
Hey, guys I'm on my way to Verizon. Would you guys say the 16gb is enough to hold a lot of shit, or play it safe with the 32?
16gb is much more than adequate for my use. I got 32 and the only reason is because I have more than 16gb of music. However, I realistically listen to 1 or 2 playlists when working out. I'd save the money next time around
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #17
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Seriously? How do you feel about Android phones? Or hell computers? A new Droid seems to come out monthly. lol And of course computer manufactures update their models as well at least twice a year.

I just feel that remark was just a way to hate on Apple then anything else.

Android spans a number of carriers, and if anything what changes is the software. iPhones were exclusive to AT&T until today/yesterday. That's 4 models of the SAME phone in 4 years since its release in 2007 with the shittiest carrier. I've got a 2008 Macbook Pro. Not hating on Apple at all, I love the damn thing. Best computer I'll probably ever have. But I can't blame them; they know they have fanatics that will buy the newest form of the hardware they have the day it comes out, so their revenues won't plummet.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #18
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Android spans a number of carriers, and if anything what changes is the software. iPhones were exclusive to AT&T until today/yesterday. That's 4 models of the SAME phone in 4 years since its release in 2007 with the shittiest carrier. I've got a 2008 Macbook Pro. Not hating on Apple at all, I love the damn thing. Best computer I'll probably ever have. But I can't blame them; they know they have fanatics that will buy the newest form of the hardware they have the day it comes out, so their revenues won't plummet.
Then why are you complaining that Apple updates the iPhone every year? Apple updates their MBP at least once a year, Mac Pro, iMac, etc. You would be happy if the iPhone was left pretty much alone since 2008 with slower 3G, a 400 Mhz CPU, and 128 MB of ram? You wouldn't want Apple to update the hardware?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #19
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
The chipset in the Verizon iPhone 4 is the same chipset that is in the Droid world phone. So the Verizon iPhone 4 already has the capability to do both CDMA and GSM. Just Apple chose to limit it to CDMA only. Also, back in January there was a prototype released which had a mini-SIM card slot and had the antenna design of the Verizon iPhone. Either that is the iPhone 5 or an early stage Verizon iPhone.
The technical aspects aren't why I'd expect a staggered release schedule. I would think it would have more to do with logistics.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

A great illustration of just how stupid and sheep-like people are. It is a useless phone, and way too hyped just like the ipad which is nothing more than a $900 screen to play pointless games, facebook, and have limited internet surfing ability due to it not being Flash compatible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I saw on the news this AM that there were 35+ people standing outside (in -30F weather) at a store here downtown.

Stupid is as stupid does.
      02-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quagmire you are such a fanboi.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #22
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
Quagmire you are such a fanboi.
He makes some good points. Doesn't come off like a complete fanboi.

Verizon and AT&T should be very close in when they're finished rolling out their LTE networks (and yes, AT&T is rolling one out; the HSPA+ is just a stopgap). Verizon has a foothold on a lot of freq's compared to AT&T, but AT&T has a good amount of their own. I fully expect an iPhone before that to be completely LTE ready. In fact, AT&T plans on starting to "turn on" LTE functionality in some places as early as the middle of 2011. It'll be interesting to see when Apple will have LTE ready.
Appreciate 0