BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #23
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt
Where do you live? (on my iPhone)
Nvm you live in SoCal. Track days aren't as common as you think. Take this summer for example. There were hardly any. You have button willow, willow springs, auto club speedway, chuckwalla and maybe spring mountain if your up for a long weekend. If you literally don't do anything other than track days on the weekends its fairly difficult to go more than twice a month. You also find yourself hesitant about going when you just spent 1000-1500 on tires a month and a half ago. Point is, I track often, not as often as I'd like, but if you have a gf, wife, friends, or any kind of weekend responsibilities at all, you may not be getting out there more than once a month. (I didn't go for 4 months this summer, it was devastating)

You make some valid points. I don't have as many obligations, though. There is work and university, but no wife/serious gf/kids/etc. Plus, there are a pretty healthy amount of track events here in socal imo. About two every month, which for me is a pretty good amount, not to mention the Auto Club Dragway is reopening their street legal events, so I could enter in those as well. Plus, my potential E46 would double as the weekend fun car when she's not tearing up a track.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #24
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I can't believe the thread made it this far... but a 535d? Am I missing something? Has that car been confirmed? Because as of now, you can't even get one in the US....

If you don't mind, what's your total budget? Personally, I wouldn't mind doing used E9x M3 + E9x 335d combo too!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I can't believe the thread made it this far... but a 535d? Am I missing something? Has that car been confirmed? Because as of now, you can't even get one in the US....
Yeah I did a little bit of homework on the 535d (after I posted the topic, oh well) and realized that we don't get it here in the US as of yet. Like I said before, the main focus of this decision is whether I should use the E92 as both a track toy and a DD, or splitting up the roles between an E46 and another, bigger more comfortable car, something like an F10, or F30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
If you don't mind, what's your total budget? Personally, I wouldn't mind doing used E9x M3 + E9x 335d combo too!
Budget's gonna be no more than 50K, which is give or take what a good quality E92 goes for these days. I've seen plenty of good E46's for about 10-15K, which will leave me 35-40K for a good F30 or even a lightly used F10.

In all honesty, I'm leaning more towards the 2 car approach, mainly due to track concerns. Correct me if I'm wrong, but parts for an E46 will probably be cheaper than parts for an E92. If something gets damaged it would probably be cheaper to fix and it's not my DD so I don't have to worry about how I'm going to get to work the next day if XYZ gets damaged while racing and I need to fix/replace it.
Plus, If the worst happens at the track (I hope to God nothing does, but you never know, there are many things that happen that are beyond our control) and I need to write off a car, I would much rather write off a 10-15K E46 than a 40-50K E92. Not to mention, I'll still have my F10 to take to work the next morning. If I bought an E92, I'd probably treasure it too much to risk it at a track.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #26
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
Have you been paying attention to diesel prices? Ever since the low sulfur requirements came out, it costs more than 93 octane around here. I drive a 2005 cummins turbo diesel, and I would choose a hemi gas engine instead except that my diesel can pull just about anything with the bully dog tune and NV5600 6 speed, and it will run for a million miles. A diesel is not always better unless it serves a specific purpose.
I have a F250 diesel and I my wife has a durango rt with hemi. they are both pretty similar at gas eating, I would say my truck edges out the durango.

I have a Accord for daily driving and e92 for fun. maybe I need a track car too. hmm.

op I would keep the e92 and get a dd of a different sort or dd the e92 and get a track car of some sort.
the e92 and the 5 isnt going to be that much different on gas in the long run compared to what you lose when you get rid of the e92
      10-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #27
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majdnoon View Post
Yeah I did a little bit of homework on the 535d (after I posted the topic, oh well) and realized that we don't get it here in the US as of yet. Like I said before, the main focus of this decision is whether I should use the E92 as both a track toy and a DD, or splitting up the roles between an E46 and another, bigger more comfortable car, something like an F10, or F30.

Budget's gonna be no more than 50K, which is give or take what a good quality E92 goes for these days. I've seen plenty of good E46's for about 10-15K, which will leave me 35-40K for a good F30 or even a lightly used F10.

In all honesty, I'm leaning more towards the 2 car approach, mainly due to track concerns. Correct me if I'm wrong, but parts for an E46 will probably be cheaper than parts for an E92. If something gets damaged it would probably be cheaper to fix and it's not my DD so I don't have to worry about how I'm going to get to work the next day if XYZ gets damaged while racing and I need to fix/replace it.
Plus, If the worst happens at the track (I hope to God nothing does, but you never know, there are many things that happen that are beyond our control) and I need to write off a car, I would much rather write off a 10-15K E46 than a 40-50K E92. Not to mention, I'll still have my F10 to take to work the next morning. If I bought an E92, I'd probably treasure it too much to risk it at a track.
Interesting situation you are in. I don't think parts for the E9x is that much more expensive than parts for the E46, but I could be wrong. While I LOVE the way the E46 looks, I don't love how it's probably the least dependable out of all M3 generations. That was a deal breaker for me.

Do you still have that E36? Those are still extremely quick at the track and they will def take the abuse better (IMHO) and get an E9x M3. FYI, I think a clean E9x can be had in the low 40k's. I got mine for 39k, and while the mileage is a bit higher, it's in immaculate condition.

So that's what I vote. Keep E36, get E9x.

P.S. I'd much rather have 2 cars in case something breaks down. It's so nice to have a backup car for those moments (I've got an E30 for that).
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I agree with W///. M3 as your DD and go with E36 for track. Although it would be hard for me to not go with the e46 as I love the looks of them. Parts are more available for the E36. My buddy DD's a new X5 with M pkg and tracks a gutted E36M and it is pretty damn quick with only 300 hp and 2,900 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #29
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep

I'm starting to like W///'s idea as well. I really appreciate the input and the help guys, thanks!
Appreciate 0