BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: *

Deposit has been placed - 2013 ZCP

Hey Guys,

Figured I'd share the good news-

I'll be joining you all as an M3 owner in a few months!

I truly wanted to keep my 335i for 5 years, but the thought of the V8 going away was too hard to deal with. I decided to try my luck on USAA's car buying service. I wanted to get within $500 of invoice and get $33,000 (current BlackBook price) for my trade come May/June.

I floated a number to both dealers, factoring the USAA discount, BMW Financing discount, and BMW loyalty discount. Dealer #1 countered with a higher price and only $30,000 for my trade. Dealer #2 agreed to the price and countered with $32,500 for my trade. Since I was getting the car for close to invoice, I agreed.

I opted for a Jet Black Coupe, Black Extended Leather, and Carbon Fiber interior. Competition and Premium packages. DCT, Heated Seats, Enhanced Sound, Apps, and Sirius for options.

I closed the deal with BMW of Newport RI. Mike was not "sales-y" at all. This was the most painless car purchase ever (buying the 335i was a lot of haggling, back and forth between dealerships, really high-pressure sales stuff - not a fan).

I probably could've played hardball and pitted the 2 dealerships against each other in a price shootout, but honestly, I got the options I want, and the price I want. I can live with $500 less for the trade in the grand scheme of things.

So now the waiting game begins. This time it's not so bad since I'm truly blessed and have a beautiful car already. Although sometimes I think being addicted to crack would be a cheaper hobby than being addicted to Beemers

Cheers,

Fieldsy
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Congrats man! The wait SUCKS!! Any major mods planned?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congrats. What was the final purchase price?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

$70,700 is what I proposed which appears to be $500 over invoice according to bmwconfig.com. I was stacking $3,750 in customer incentives, so the dealer makes out too since it's only 2.2% off sticker for them (they are reimbursed for those incentives from BMWNA and USAA).

The first dealer offered me only $15 off sticker. Fifteen dollars. I told them I found their offer to be insulting.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussoldierforhire View Post
Congrats man! The wait SUCKS!! Any major mods planned?
I'm gonna save up to get the Black M3 GTS wheels from Tischer or Turner Motorsport come winter time. I'll keep the stock silver wheels for snows. I've seen a few pictures of Jerez Black M3s with the GTS wheels and they look great, so I can't imagine the non-metallic black looking bad.

As for other mods, this will be a DD and let's just say I'm not independently wealthy (despite being called a snob on this forum by other members - I come from a working-class, military family; sorry if I'm well spoken).

The only "mod" I could see myself really considering would be OSS Style headlights. I say OSS Style since I can't send my lights to Miami, so I'd have to find a place in New England that mimics them

But thanks for the congrats. I wish I lived down in VA Beach where the roads are a lot nicer than up here!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldsy View Post
$70,700 is what I proposed which appears to be $500 over invoice according to bmwconfig.com. I was stacking $3,750 in customer incentives, so the dealer makes out too since it's only 2.2% off sticker for them (they are reimbursed for those incentives from BMWNA and USAA).

The first dealer offered me only $15 off sticker. Fifteen dollars. I told them I found their offer to be insulting.
Nice. I am planning on ordering a 2013 Coupe too same options as you except Alpine white and fox red extended leather. Got a quote for $70,755 I think it was $650 over invoice.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

Congrats! Our cars are pretty close except mine is space gray. You'll love it! I had a 335 for 6 years (3 with an e90 and 3 with an e92 msport). 335 and M may look the same, but the M is a whole different animal. My 335's were not quite FBO, but were heavily modded and I haven't missed them at all. I was also a manual guy and went with a DCT in the M and I haven't missed the manual at all..... going up through the gears at WOT with the DCT makes you forget all about that extra pedal. Now you just gotta make it thought the wait till it gets here.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

congrats =)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
///Montreal3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3

Not sure if it's too late for you to change details, but if you were interested in saving a bit more money, you could opt for non-extended leather. By all accounts, it's worthless in black as it doesn't show up well, like say Fox Red, where you definitely notice the extended portion.

Either way, congrats and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkhan23 View Post
Nice. I am planning on ordering a 2013 Coupe too same options as you except Alpine white and fox red extended leather. Got a quote for $70,755 I think it was $650 over invoice.
Nice bro!! You're probably right about the $650 - on bmwconfig.com, there was some $180 "Training Fee" that I didn't know whether to include or not.

From reading a lot of M3 threads, some people are having a hard time finding a dealer with an allotment; others aren't negotiating.

There was a AW with Red Leather in front of me on the way to work this morning. The Red Extended looks dope from the pictures I've seen! I wanted to go with the all-black theme; and I love the look of the stitching on the transmission tunnel.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Congrats!
Sounds like you got a great deal on a sweet ride

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Montreal3 View Post
Not sure if it's too late for you to change details, but if you were interested in saving a bit more money, you could opt for non-extended leather. By all accounts, it's worthless in black as it doesn't show up well, like say Fox Red, where you definitely notice the extended portion.

Either way, congrats and enjoy!
Oh believe me I pretty much spent the last 2 weeks thinking this over - extended or non-extended. Savings of $1100. I just love the look of the transmission tunnel with the stitching. There are a ton of threads about it - more often than not, the owners suggested going for it.

I skimped on the 335i I have now, and I hate the feeling of, "I should've gone all in."
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
Congrats! Our cars are pretty close except mine is space gray. You'll love it! I had a 335 for 6 years (3 with an e90 and 3 with an e92 msport). 335 and M may look the same, but the M is a whole different animal. My 335's were not quite FBO, but were heavily modded and I haven't missed them at all. I was also a manual guy and went with a DCT in the M and I haven't missed the manual at all..... going up through the gears at WOT with the DCT makes you forget all about that extra pedal. Now you just gotta make it thought the wait till it gets here.
1. Love your avatar - Tool is one of the best bands of all time.

2. Yeah the transmission in the 335i is TERRIBLE. Automatic is supposed to be faster than the brain-clutch-shifter connection. From the research I've done and videos I've watched, shifting on the M3 seems like a Ferrari (slight exaggeration, but you guys get the idea).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerwyll@trinityautosport View Post
congrats =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Congrats!
Sounds like you got a great deal on a sweet ride
Thanks guys!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
I wish I lived down in VA Beach where the roads are a lot nicer than up here!!
The roads here are so bad they've been on the news the last week and the city has been on emergency pothole repair status. I broke a wheel on my 335i driving these crap roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussoldierforhire View Post
The roads here are so bad they've been on the news the last week and the city has been on emergency pothole repair status. I broke a wheel on my 335i driving these crap roads.
I used to go down to Hampton once a month for work (Langley AFB) - I know it's not quite VA Beach, but didn't think it would be THAT bad. I thought Hampton was an upgrade from Greater Boston; people drove pretty quick too.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nice bro!! You're probably right about the $650 - on bmwconfig.com, there was some $180 "Training Fee" that I didn't know whether to include or not.

From reading a lot of M3 threads, some people are having a hard time finding a dealer with an allotment; others aren't negotiating.

There was a AW with Red Leather in front of me on the way to work this morning. The Red Extended looks dope from the pictures I've seen! I wanted to go with the all-black theme; and I love the look of the stitching on the transmission tunnel.
The first dealer that offered you $15 off sticker, you should have laughed at him and walked out! LOL. BTW how much deposit did you put down?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Congrats! You won't regret going for the options you want.

If I understand correctly you negotiated $500 over invoice after incentives? That's your money, I wouldn't have allowed the dealer to take all of it, probably why you didn't have to haggle much. It's a decent deal considering how rare configurable allocations are getting I suppose.

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkhan23 View Post
The first dealer that offered you $15 off sticker, you should have laughed at him and walked out! LOL. BTW how much deposit did you put down?
Fortunately both dealers I spoke to conducted business via email - so much less stress. The girl at the first dealership was very sweet, and I could tell her boss was pressuring her to throw out ridiculous numbers. You can play that game if you offer a unique product/service; but let's just say New England has no lack for BMW dealerships.

The first dealer could've closed this deal before the 2nd dealer even responded to me had they not tried to pull a fast one on me. They told me they would beat the $70,700 if I called the other dealer and canceled, but then I have to go through the hassle of getting my deposit back.

I put down a $1,000 deposit on my credit card. Fortunately I've been laying low the last couple months so I haven't been charging much besides gas and Whole Foods.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Oh and as far as the GTS rims go, you can have the dealer sell a set to you at cost and have them write it on the original contract (assuming its a lease) that way you can put them on the car and sell the brand new silver ZCPs on the forum and recoup about 75% of what you spent on the black wheels and have no penalty at lease turn in.

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #22
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2000 View Post
Congrats! You won't regret going for the options you want.

If I understand correctly you negotiated $500 over invoice after incentives? That's your money, I wouldn't have allowed the dealer to take all of it, probably why you didn't have to haggle much. It's a decent deal considering how rare configurable allocations are getting I suppose.
Curt that's right. I tried to do as much forum reading as possible on what people were paying for an ordered M3 on bimmerpost and bimmerfest. I also checked True Car - I think for my zip code there was 1 below invoice. I know there are a couple dealerships that are forum sponsors that offer great prices as well, but never saw anything at or below invoice.

I shot for 2.2% off sticker and then took the $3,750 off that. I was happy with the end result. I probably could have pushed harder, but didn't know how much they'd negotiate given the fact that dealer allotments are getting more scarce. At the end of the day, I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off, ya know?
Appreciate 0