BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #45
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

After being an M3 owner for a week.... I can vouch for "speed safely". It is so freaking easy to go over 100mph on this car without even knowing it
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #46
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Join AAA, I've never had to wait more than 45 minutes the few times I've had to use them for other cars I own. Never on my M3 though.

I am a AAA member, but that would not have helped me with stop & go bumper to bumper traffic in both directions for 10 miles in each direction from where I was stuck. I was also right between 2 cities, so no flat beds close by.

The BMW assist operator was friendly and the roadside service went smoothly. I'll save my AAA tows for one of my other cars.
      07-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #47
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I am a AAA member, but that would not have helped me with stop & go bumper to bumper traffic in both directions for 10 miles in each direction from where I was stuck. I was also right between 2 cities, so no flat beds close by.

The BMW assist operator was friendly and the roadside service went smoothly. I'll save my AAA tows for one of my other cars.
Even though I live in Jersey, I don't have to deal with traffic. If I did I'm sure it would take years off my life. Thank God.
      07-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #48
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
Latch the hood down properly. It may sound kind of obvious but I don't think many people do it right. With the hood open, notice the two latches about half way between the center latch and the front corners of the hood. Bring the hood down to about 12-18 inches from closed and put your two hands over the two latches and press down in one solid push. You don't need to slam it but just equal pressure on both sides. Once properly closed the hood should be flush on both sides and feel secure.
Good advice. I was doing 170 km/h on the A-bahn and noticed a little quivering on the LHS front of the bonnet: at rest the hood appeared closed but clearly one of the latches was not fully secured. I stopped and re-shut the bonnet using both hands, as described.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 04:51 AM   #49
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnynsc View Post
Better than most? How do you justify yourself are better than most (of us)?
First off, I didn't say "better than most of us" you added the last two words, which changes the meaning. I'd say, without any proof, that the average driver on this forum is a better driver than the average driver in public. I'm saying that based merely on the fact that folks on here care about cars and driving and think about it more than your average Joe Public.

Second, I've been to a few driver's schools, I'm consistantly faster than most of the folks in my run groups including many who are in cars that should be faster than mine. So if we're saying faster = better, theres some objective proof.

Third, I really don't need to justify myself (even though I just did). This is a forum not a contest.
      07-02-2009, 05:07 AM   #50
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

wow, im proud to say, that all us ///M drivers are clearly crazy to almost the same extent in many ways.

So far everyones named all the issues, my favorite are the little details we all added that i never thought many would notice:

-Chipped aluminum trip b/c of seat belt- im happy my paint didnt chip, my dad has a habit of swinging it out the door lol

-The leather is beautiful, and smooth, however will end up turning shiney! I have many true religion jeans, the newer buttons have a crazy design on them, i undo the buttons to get covered. lol

- DO get the tire protection, cost me $700, and changed 2x $450+ tires (nail, and pothole-ripped the whole inside)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 05:45 AM   #51
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
get the space saver wheel
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #52
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black

Don't buy new unless you really aren't bothered about depreciation.
      07-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #53
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken37.73 View Post
Don't buy new unless you really aren't bothered about depreciation.
Or if you aren't concerned about how the car was driven prior to buying For this car w/ this V8 I was willing to pay a premium, whereas my last 2 5ers I bought < 2 yrs and < 30k miles.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #54
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Even though I live in Jersey, I don't have to deal with traffic. If I did I'm sure it would take years off my life. Thank God.

Usually I do not either since I am a few hours away from Los Angeles. In this particular case it was a narrow 2 lane highway each way and the end of a busy summer weekend with lots of tourists leaving SB. I would lose my mind if I had to deal with L.A. traffic on a regular basis.
      07-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #55
carri0n m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5M

Learned that 8000+ rpm's is fn sweet after getting the 1200 mi service
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 12:47 AM   #56
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Lets see:

1. When parking you M3, don't just park anywhere; find a spot where the likelihood of being door-dinged is slim; like next to a handicap spot or island.
2. Use a vehicle seat cushion to sit on--my seats still look brand new!
3. Buy a set of all season floor mats to protect your M3 floor mats--once dirty, they will never look the same.
4. Get yourself a trunk mat--keeps the carpet in your trunk looking brand new!
5. Don't spend $100+ dollars on a OEM trunk mat, head to your fitness shop and cut your own from an exercise mat (I know what your thinking; 'hack-job'....it looks great if you take your time). You will spend under 20 bucks!
6. Check your kids shoes before they climb into the back seat, whatever is on the bottom will be deposited on the back of your seats. Not fun to clean!
7. Do a quick wipe down of your engine compartment after each wash--it's amazing how clean things stay with little effort.
8. Wipe down your door jambs after each wash--gives your M a look of 'brand-new' each time you open the door.
9. Get two 'California Car Dusters'--one for the car and one for the wheels. Keeps your M3 looking shinny without having to wash it every other day. (especially the wheels)
10. Check out the 'Dynamic Route' or 'Avoid Highways' in your GPS system the next time you are headed out on a road trip--some of the most fun road trips home are a result of the awesome feature.

That's all I have!
      07-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #57
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Buy the wheel protection plan offered by BMW. It covers aftermarket wheels as well as stockers!
REALLY for example even HREs ?
      07-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #58
carri0n m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Lets see:

1. When parking you M3, don't just park anywhere; find a spot where the likelihood of being door-dinged is slim; like next to a handicap spot or island.
2. Use a vehicle seat cushion to sit on--my seats still look brand new!
3. Buy a set of all season floor mats to protect your M3 floor mats--once dirty, they will never look the same.
4. Get yourself a trunk mat--keeps the carpet in your trunk looking brand new!
5. Don't spend $100+ dollars on a OEM trunk mat, head to your fitness shop and cut your own from an exercise mat (I know what your thinking; 'hack-job'....it looks great if you take your time). You will spend under 20 bucks!
6. Check your kids shoes before they climb into the back seat, whatever is on the bottom will be deposited on the back of your seats. Not fun to clean!
7. Do a quick wipe down of your engine compartment after each wash--it's amazing how clean things stay with little effort.
8. Wipe down your door jambs after each wash--gives your M a look of 'brand-new' each time you open the door.
9. Get two 'California Car Dusters'--one for the car and one for the wheels. Keeps your M3 looking shinny without having to wash it every other day. (especially the wheels)
10. Check out the 'Dynamic Route' or 'Avoid Highways' in your GPS system the next time you are headed out on a road trip--some of the most fun road trips home are a result of the awesome feature.

That's all I have!
Good list!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 12:51 AM   #59
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk1115 View Post
My advice would also to be to enjoy the car and not obsess over any minor defects as all M3s will have them. All M3s always have quirks!!!
My solution to this is always have enough money in the bank to buy another one. Although I probably won't actually get another M3, it gives me peace of mind knowing that I can have a new one whenever i want.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #60
carri0n m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

don't get your steering wheel wet; my bmw dealer came around with my car on a raining day and the wheel was soaked; wheel feels smaller
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #61
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rock View Post
REALLY for example even HREs ?
Any wheels and tires you put on the car. I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. Work can be done at dealer or any shop you choose.
      07-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #62
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

^^ WOW good to know! I will definitely be getting that then.
      07-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #63
Smith2287
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E93 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Buy the wheel protection plan offered by BMW. It covers aftermarket wheels as well as stockers!
I asked BMW this question before I pulled the trigger on a set of HRE's and he told me they are not covered under the tire and rim protection package I had.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 01:48 AM   #64
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith2287 View Post
I asked BMW this question before I pulled the trigger on a set of HRE's and he told me they are not covered under the tire and rim protection package I had.
In Canada they are covered!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #65
rmmcdaniel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3

Most of these have been stated already but I will reiterate the ones I have lived first hand and I think my #1 lesson learned is original to this thread...

1. Set the "speed limit" warning function to something around 80 to 85mph to keep yourself in check or at least know you are driving 1.5x - 2x the speed limit of most roads. It's a great feature that chimes a loud tone and displays a large warning in the dash display and on the iDrive screen. Otherwise you might find yourself regularly going 120mph in a 40mph zone on Lakeshore Drive in Chicago without realizing it... Who me??

2. Buy the tire warranty - mine paid for itself within a month of owning the car, but I live in Chicago so it was a no-brainer for me to buy.

3. Follow the previous posters advice on closing the hood properly. It is extremely deceptive and you likely will think it is fully latched when it isn't.

4. Get proper radar detection equipment.

5. Don't freak out when people follow you to wherever you are going and jump out to talk to you about your car. No joke, this has happened to me three times already and the first time I about laid the guy out as he followed me into a gas station and started running up to me but I had no clue he was just excited about my car.

6. Buy a 6 D-cell steel Maglite flashlight and keep it under your front seat just in case the people from #5 do turn out to be crazy!!

7. Obey the break-in rules. Your car will thank you and it feels good to maintain the discipline knowing you'll get the most out of your ride after it's over with.

8. Park in safe spots at all costs - take two spots if necessary, even in crowded parking lots. Never valet the car. The only other people that drive my car are dealer techs and the mgr at my car wash (who regularly drives other customer's F430 Scuderia's, Lambo's etc so I trust him and he actually understands how to use the M-DCT).

9. As other's have said, *never* fully disable DSC.

10. Enjoy your ride and drive it like it's an M3!!!!

My only other comment is to the poster who said to get AAA. I have AAA (for bail bond coverage which is important in Illinois) but I don't use them for tow service as I have had to wait 3+ hours for AAA towing service on multiple occasions in metro and rural areas in multiple states. Also, BMW roadside assistance will only dispatch flat-bed tow trucks (always important in my book with a car like an M3, but critical if you have M-DCT) which AAA won't guarantee.
      07-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #66
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmcdaniel View Post
8. Park in safe spots at all costs - take two spots if necessary, even in crowded parking lots. Never valet the car. The only other people that drive my car are dealer techs and the mgr at my car wash (who regularly drives other customer's F430 Scuderia's, Lambo's etc so I trust him and he actually understands how to use the M-DCT).
I respectfully disagree. I cannot think of a quicker way to getting the car keyed.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0