BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
ILLCOMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT2

Centering Rings

I am thinking about picking up a set of O.Z. wheels and I was told that they require centering rings. I assume that centering rings, just like spacers, introduce the risk of vibration and misalignment in how the wheel is mated to the hub. A part of me feels that if I am buying wheels I shouldn't have to be dealing with centering rings and spacers (the front offset requires a spacer).

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCOMM View Post
I am thinking about picking up a set of O.Z. wheels and I was told that they require centering rings. I assume that centering rings, just like spacers, introduce the risk of vibration and misalignment in how the wheel is mated to the hub. A part of me feels that if I am buying wheels I shouldn't have to be dealing with centering rings and spacers (the front offset requires a spacer).

Thoughts?
hub centric rings compensate for differences in the centerbore of a rim. i personally would find a rim that doesn't require a hub centric rim (M3 has CB of either 72 or 72.5, I can't remember), but wouldn't mind using spacers up to about 15mm depending on the application.
      02-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
FrankieP
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/BLK

Most European tuner wheel manufactures use a mounting kit system. These kits are essentially hubcentric spacers/centering rings with bolts that have the proper length for that spacer.

Wheels mated with the proper centering ring (72.6) or hubcentric spacers and bolts with give you problem free operation.

Problem is when you go with a generic application wheel (dual drill). This is when a wheel manufacture makes the same offset for 2 different cars and has the face drilled with both bolt patterns (10 holes). They also make the center bore bigger to accommodate either application. IMO this type of wheel should never be put on a BMW, any BMW.

Are you sure these OZ wheels are not hubcenteric (72.6) for BMW? Offset is one thing, but not hubcentric. hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
ILLCOMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT2

The O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT's come with the following info on e92 M3 applications:

Quote:
The following wheel-specific hardware will be included with your order at no additional charge.

* (20) Required lugbolt for vehicle
* (4) Required centering ring
* (2) Required wheel spacer
The spacers are required for the front as they come in a 34mm offset (vs stock 29mm).

I was pretty much decided on these wheels until I learned that I would need spacers AND centering rings. Sounds like a lot of room for error.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
The O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT's come with the following info on e92 M3 applications:

The spacers are required for the front as they come in a 34mm offset (vs stock 29mm).

I was pretty much decided on these wheels until I learned that I would need spacers AND centering rings. Sounds like a lot of room for error.
Just to share my experience with spacers. I lived in upstate NY and had spacers on my rears for about 4 months (9-12). When I tried to take the spacers off, both were seized on the hub due to corrosion... really painful experience trying to take them off.

Of course, if cared for properly in dryer weather, this hopefully won't happen. Though I see that you live in Seattle, which has snow. Anyway, it can be done, just with some extra effort. GL!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:

yeah, i am suprised that they don't make a hubcentric solution. a 5mm spacer is no thing, but i agree that i wouldn't want to have to do both. it just seems like having to do too much to make it fit right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Just to share my experience with spacers. I lived in upstate NY and had spacers on my rears for about 4 months (9-12). When I tried to take the spacers off, both were seized on the hub due to corrosion... really painful experience trying to take them off.

Of course, if cared for properly in dryer weather, this hopefully won't happen. Though I see that you live in Seattle, which has snow. Anyway, it can be done, just with some extra effort. GL!
good advice rldzhao! thanks.
      02-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post

Should have used anti-seize and/or got Rouge Engineering spacers with the beveled edge.
Appreciate 0