BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Mporium BMW

05-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

VA state inspection

Finally need to get my VA state inspection done on my M3. I am currently running the akra evo exhaust system with HFC and was wondering if this would pass inspection and emissions, or if they even check that in VA?

Thanks!
      05-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
VtecforV8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Not sure, but subscribed. Hopefully someone has a good outline of what we can get away with here. I'm getting the exhaust bug....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
Mikeystone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3 coupe dct

Long story short I would just try and get it done you never know if you don't throw a code and have a lazy inspector he will pass you.

I can only speak for Stafford Virginia State Inspection but here we are not allowed to even have a cat-back exhaust or any shop is supposed to deny your inspection according to two state inspectors and my personal experience.

I Had HFC and cat-back system on my last car and it was denied by two shops so I had to just swapped it out for the full stock exhaust and after inspection put it right back in. My friend on the other hand has a straight piped WRX and can get it inspected anywhere because of the county he lives in Louisa County. I know its crazy but the laws for inspection change from City to City and County to County not generic for the whole state on exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
rpl77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeystone
Long story short I would just try and get it done you never know if you don't throw a code and have a lazy inspector he will pass you.

I can only speak for Stafford Virginia State Inspection but here we are not allowed to even have a cat-back exhaust or any shop is supposed to deny your inspection according to two state inspectors and my personal experience.

I Had HFC and cat-back system on my last car and it was denied by two shops so I had to just swapped it out for the full stock exhaust and after inspection put it right back in. My friend on the other hand has a straight piped WRX and can get it inspected anywhere because of the county he lives in Louisa County. I know its crazy but the laws for inspection change from City to City and County to County not generic for the whole state on exhausts.
Weird how it varies by county. I had my state inspection at Richmond BMW last year when I had my gintani catback exhaust. No issues whatsoever.
      05-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Here's what I do:

Go get state inspection while aftermarket parts are on the car and hope for the best.
Fail state inspection and inspector gives me a list of things I have to address.
I go home and swap out parts/borrow parts from friends.
Go back and pass.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone. I still have the stock exhaust so if I get grief I guess I'll have a fun little project one weekend switching them around
      05-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Mikeystone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3 coupe dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
Here's what I do:

Go get state inspection while aftermarket parts are on the car and hope for the best.
Fail state inspection and inspector gives me a list of things I have to address.
I go home and swap out parts/borrow parts from friends.
Go back and pass.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankstar43 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I still have the stock exhaust so if I get grief I guess I'll have a fun little project one weekend switching them around
They will probably get you for your painted reflectors. My M3's reflectors were wrapped and I literally had to peel the vinyl off of them in front of the inspector or he wouldn't have passed me.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'd say it largely depends on the inspection place.

Since I moved down to NOVA 5+ years ago with my E36 M3 which had no cats but with O2 simulators, I took it to a guy at a shadier garage and he hooked it up it passed via the OBDII and I was on my way. I tip the guy nicely every time; and take ALL of my cars and bikes to him. Do you have O2 simulators on the car or not? If not, for sure it will throw a code to the inspection guy when he connects to the OBDII port.

FWIW, my guy passed my E86 M coupe with painted reflectors and no front license plate for years. That car was garaged in Ballston (arlington county) for 3 years too. He just passed my E92 M3 with no front plate.

Find a guy you can have a good relationship with; anyone that goes to a legit shop or the stealership for inspection is They are just looking for a reason to not pass you and charge you for some service item - likes brakes, tires, etc.

my 0.02.
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold

Last edited by fitchesbass; 05-08-2014 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl77 View Post
Weird how it varies by county. I had my state inspection at Richmond BMW last year when I had my gintani catback exhaust. No issues whatsoever.
Am I missing something, why would a catback exhaust not pass?! Unless it was ridiculously loud
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
rpl77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl77 View Post
Am I missing something, why would a catback exhaust not pass?! Unless it was ridiculously loud
Not sure. Just responding to mikeystones post above re: not passing inspection in stafford.
      05-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #12
8tnfox
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Finally need to get my VA state inspection done on my M3. I am currently running the akra evo exhaust system with HFC and was wondering if this would pass inspection and emissions, or if they even check that in VA?

Thanks!
As for emissions it's only for the Northern counties.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#emissions.asp
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #13
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I am about as knowledgeable on va safety and emissions as one could be.

Tampering with emissions equipment will fail safety inspection anywhere in va(ie no cat)

The only physical inspection for most situations (after "preliminary safety check")on a 96 up vehicle are the gas cap and presence of cat converters. If there is no cat converter you will fail emissions.

Technically you would pass safety inspection with no muffler even though it is illegal to drive without one in va.

http://lis.virginia.gov/000/reg/TOC19030.HTM.HTM#C0070

That is the link for the official inspection manual if you scroll to chapter 70.

I'm pretty interested in anyone's experience with tunes and passing emissions.

If there is something which very much looks like a cat converter and all obdii monitors except one are ready you should be good.

Last edited by Golddots; 05-15-2014 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414hpbabyshuttle
I am about as knowledgeable on va safety and emissions as one could be.

Tampering with emissions equipment will fail safety inspection anywhere in va(ie no cat)

The only physical inspection for most situations (after "preliminary safety check")on a 96 up vehicle are the gas cap and presence of cat converters. If there is no cat converter you will fail emissions.

Technically you would pass safety inspection with no muffler even though it is illegal to drive without one in va.

Im pretty sure I'd fill out a "rejection from testing" form without even doing the emissions test if no muffler was present.

http://lis.virginia.gov/000/reg/TOC19030.HTM.HTM#C0070

That is the link for the official inspection manual if you scroll to chapter 70.

I'm pretty interested in anyone's experience with tunes and passing emissions.

If there is something which very much looks like a cat converter and all obdii monitors except one are ready you should be good.
While I do have the HFC mufflers and resonators, the exhaust still throws an increased emission code causing the check engine light to appear. Is this something they look at, or just throw it up on a lift and look at the physical exhaust?
      05-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #15
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep

There is no decibel test for safety or emissions test.

Noise ordinance is enforced by police.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #16
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
While I do have the HFC mufflers and resonators, the exhaust still throws an increased emission code causing the check engine light to appear. Is this something they look at, or just throw it up on a lift and look at the physical exhaust?
You will not pass emissions if the mil stays on with the car running. The emissions machine asks the inspector if the mil illuminates briefly then turns off.
I have seen a few tests where there WAS a trouble code stored but because the mil did not constantly stay on and obdii readiness was ok the cars passed.

No inspector is allowed to repair anything on the car or required to "throw it up on a lift" during the test.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #17
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414hpbabyshuttle
Quote:
You will not pass emissions if the mil stays on with the car running. The emissions machine asks the inspector if the mil illuminates briefly then turns off.
I have seen a few tests where there WAS a trouble code stored but because the mil did not constantly stay on and obdii readiness was ok the cars passed.

No inspector is allowed to repair anything on the car or required to "throw it up on a lift" during the test.
So I would need to clear the code prior to inspection?
      05-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #18
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes. But then all obdii monitors will be " not ready". You'd have to clear then drive until all monitors are ready or only one not ready.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
jfo122
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Any update on this, did you pass emissions? I'm in Arlington and have been looking at the Akra Evo myself...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #20
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfo122 View Post
Any update on this, did you pass emissions? I'm in Arlington and have been looking at the Akra Evo myself...
Passed without any questions asked.