BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

06-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
af908
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Good sounding resonators?

Hey guys,

I have a topspeed xpipe (no cats, no resonators) and a megan racing axle-back. Needless to say the thing is loud enough to make my teeth chatter.

I'm going to take it to a muffler shop to have them weld in a set of resonators. Before i go out and buy some, i was wondering if anyone had expeirance with purchasing seperate resonators and welding them in - which ones sound good?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

vibrant bottle type or aero ar 25
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
vibrant bottle type or aero ar 25
I cut out the stock secondary cats and i am getting the megan catback as well...i have to leave primary cats on in VA due to its tough laws, but could a bottle type resonator set up to replace the stock ones work well?

Sorry for the hijack, OP!
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
af908
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
I cut out the stock secondary cats and i am getting the megan catback as well...i have to leave primary cats on in VA due to its tough laws, but could a bottle type resonator set up to replace the stock ones work well?

Sorry for the hijack, OP!
To replace the stock resonators? Seems like a waste of time? What are you trying to accomplish.

Any more input on good sounding resonators anyone has tried? Also, are muffler shops usually able to do this with the x-pipe on the car? I dont feel like puling the damn thing off again.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I have the Vibrant ones in my Fabspeed X-pipe. They sound good, price was right, and they are well made.
      06-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by af908 View Post
To replace the stock resonators? Seems like a waste of time? What are you trying to accomplish.

Any more input on good sounding resonators anyone has tried? Also, are muffler shops usually able to do this with the x-pipe on the car? I dont feel like puling the damn thing off again.
It's not a waste for me if a friend of mine owns a garage and he can do all kinds of work. I had a nismo Z that had a full custom set up using just in house piping and mufflers. No need to spend 1,2,3,4,5+grand on something you can fabricate to look just as good and perform even just the same if you have the time on your hands, which I do.

With that being said, many people have told me I had the best sounding 350z ever
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If I had the stock resonators, I would leave them. I am not sure you will get dramatically different sound from another brand. If you are after a certain sound, it may take some experimentation. Vibrant makes resonators in 12 inch and 18 inch length (the length of the main body is just a percentage of the total length), Pypes makes some that are also affordable in stainless and there are certainly others others.
Appreciate 0