BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

03-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Kind of photography? Business card critique.

Bah, stupid title typo. Hah.

Hey guys, wanted some opinions. I need to order more business cards (placed an order last month with vista print, they screwed up big time, now I get a bunch free, yay). My current card looks like this:

back is on the left, front on the right.

[IMG]http://****************/card3full.jpg[/IMG]

I like it, it matches my website, it's fairly generalized and simple (I like simple), it doesn't have a real car on it though which has been a criticism.

I thought maybe I would change it up a bit, and I came up with these. If you like them let me know which you like better. If you hate them, let me know that too.

[IMG]http://****************/cardfull1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://****************/card2full.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I like the black ones way better. The pastel blue doesn't imply the class you work with.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post
I like the black ones way better. The pastel blue doesn't imply the class you work with.
That's been the primary complaint. Most people like them a lot, but those are all people that I've worked for/know me already; a lot of them mention as a first impression it's a little cartoon-ish (which I agree with). I am not going to change my website, but as you can tell I've been thinking about changing the cars for a more striking look. Better first impression and all. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

black....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

I like the black car on black background as well. Thinking a different font for "GTA in detail" would be good though. To my eye it doesn't follow the classy look of the rest of the card. I'd say it's "fun" when the card says "serious". The font fits better with the previous card's style.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghunger View Post
I like the black car on black background as well. Thinking a different font for "GTA in detail" would be good though. To my eye it doesn't follow the classy look of the rest of the card. I'd say it's "fun" when the card says "serious". The font fits better with the previous card's style.
Good point, I didn't even think of changing it I've become to used to it. I will play with that. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
dickster
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB SLK230; Ferrari 206GT Dino

Kevin:

Other than the fact that your online printer probably prints two sides for the same price as one, I find it unnecessary for you to have a two-sided card.

I agree that the font is a little weak but even more important to me is that there is no explanation at to what "GTA" means. Is that an expression with which I'm not familiar or does it have a special significance to you?

Bear in mind that the 'black' you're using is going to actually be created using the four process colors (cyan, magenta, yellow and black) and that being the least bit out of register will make your small type look blurry.

You might consider a complete re-design that eliminates that problem by separating the artwork from the type using some sort of graphic shape or border.

And, remember, if you print on only one side you will have the second side to leave a message for some or write down an estimate or special request.

I owned my own print shop for 27 years and I've encountered numerous problems with full-reverse cards (white on black).

Think about it...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I have to agree with dickster. Although the black cards look amazing. They look amazing online. As a business card I don't really see the need for 2 sides. The back is basically stating what is said on the front. So what is the need for it?

So just some feedback:

1) Just do one side. Like stated, I use back of business cards for extra info on the company or person it pertains to.

2) Also, it was stated before GTA In Detail can be a bit confusing. Does GTA stand for anything or no? I don't see that as a huge deal so no real need to change that.

3) The first black BMW business card design makes me wonder if I would be able to see it when printed. The second one you can see very well but the first even on my monitor I cannot see all to well so I would imagine as a card form it would be harder.

Again just some feedback. One thing I like about going to printing shops in the area is being able to see proofs.

P.S. If you do not mind how much does the printing service you use cost? You can pm me if you want instead. Thanks.
      03-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickster View Post
Kevin:

Other than the fact that your online printer probably prints two sides for the same price as one, I find it unnecessary for you to have a two-sided card.

I agree that the font is a little weak but even more important to me is that there is no explanation at to what "GTA" means. Is that an expression with which I'm not familiar or does it have a special significance to you?

Bear in mind that the 'black' you're using is going to actually be created using the four process colors (cyan, magenta, yellow and black) and that being the least bit out of register will make your small type look blurry.

You might consider a complete re-design that eliminates that problem by separating the artwork from the type using some sort of graphic shape or border.

And, remember, if you print on only one side you will have the second side to leave a message for some or write down an estimate or special request.

I owned my own print shop for 27 years and I've encountered numerous problems with full-reverse cards (white on black).

Think about it...
Hey, thanks so much for the feedback. I was worried about the black printing correctly.

Before I go on just a note: GTA stands for "Greater Toronto Area", so everyone who receives these cards will know what it means.

I will definitely limit to one side. I will also see if I can't figure out a way to graphically remove the text from the black background, at least the smaller text. That's going to be hard to do and keep it simple, and the black is sort of required as a method of blending the car in. Hmmm, going to need to re-work it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
I have to agree with dickster. Although the black cards look amazing. They look amazing online. As a business card I don't really see the need for 2 sides. The back is basically stating what is said on the front. So what is the need for it?

So just some feedback:

1) Just do one side. Like stated, I use back of business cards for extra info on the company or person it pertains to.

2) Also, it was stated before GTA In Detail can be a bit confusing. Does GTA stand for anything or no? I don't see that as a huge deal so no real need to change that.

3) The first black BMW business card design makes me wonder if I would be able to see it when printed. The second one you can see very well but the first even on my monitor I cannot see all to well so I would imagine as a card form it would be harder.

Again just some feedback. One thing I like about going to printing shops in the area is being able to see proofs.

P.S. If you do not mind how much does the printing service you use cost? You can pm me if you want instead. Thanks.
1) I'm sold on one side.
2) Check above.
3) I am thinking I will probably go with the second black card for that very reason.

The service I used was vistaprint, which is an online printing site. The quality varies on their lower cost stuff, but the premium cards are actually pretty good. I got 5,000 for $89 with a VISA discount. They screwed up the initial order (send me postcards) which they let me keep and agreed to re-send the cards. Then they screwed that up (print was off center), so now they are agree'ing to send me 10,000 cards for the original cost. I'd go to another place, but it's kind of a deal so I am living with their screw ups.

I have an idea to separate the text from the black background. I will work on it tonight.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Judging by picus's location I'd say GTA stands for Greater Toronto Area.

I agree that the original looked cartoonish but it did keep you attention. The black on black doesn't work for me because I can't see the car that well. The silver on black works just a little bit better. If you're concerned with the cartoonish car, why not just replace it with the silver car? Alternatively, lighten up the background from black to a dark gray.

Have you thought of using silver for the lettering? Especially if your car image is silver.

I'd suggest leaving the back plain; maybe put a small map to your shop (if you have one) at one end and leave the rest for notes, etc.

One last thought. You say you don't want to change your website. There is a possibility that people will get your card, go to your website and think they're at the wrong place because of the difference. I'd consider taking the same design of the card onto the website.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #11
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Hrm ya, good point. I am definitely not changing the website. Long story on that, but it ain't happening.

Maybe I will work with the last BMW design and incorporate some of the website colors into it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #12
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

[img]http://****************/card2rev.jpg[/img]

Solves the issue with the white text on black background to some extent. I used the same grey as the horizontal bar for the "GTA In" part. Still workin' on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #13
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
[img]http://****************/card2rev.jpg[/img]

Solves the issue with the white text on black background to some extent. I used the same grey as the horizontal bar for the "GTA In" part. Still workin' on it.
Truthfully that looks great man. It pops more and just is a good looking card.

Soyank. I don't really agree with the whole website matching business card. My business card and website do not match. Due to certain reasons. I mean it would be best if they did. But it is not totally needed. The website is needed for a certain reason while the business card is needed to keep their attention and get my company info out there. So it would be nice but not needed.
      03-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #14
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Ya I hear you guys on the website/card thing. I do like continuity for sure; but the website has the benefit of having hundreds of (what I consider) high quality photos on it, so the fact that it is rather bland by itself is on purpose, and lends itself to showcasing the work. On a business card you don't really have that luxury, so bland is just...well, bland.

I'd like to make sure they have some similar elements (which is why I am attached to that particular font), so I will keep working on it until I'm 100% happy. Thanks for the comments so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #15
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
the seccond one looks amazing...
      03-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #16
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i like 1st set more because the 2nd and 3rd sets dont have enough structure in their designs... it seems like something was just slapped on in the background... dont get me wrong.. the pictures are crisp and really appealing... but the overall design is a bit lacking.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #17
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

It's hard to decide because they both look beautiful

I would go with the Z4, has a better contrast with he black background
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #18
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
oh and to add to my critique... if you flipped the 335i in terms of position... i think it would look better if you were to choose that kinda route. the z4 does look better than the 335i because more contrast w/ the body color of car.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #19
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

if u wanted to stick with the first one, u could make it a bimmer instead, and have the background black.

or if u wanted to use the z4, i think a blue or sparkling graphite would be a better color for the car
      03-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #20
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

I know you said simple, but adding something to distinguish you from other detailers may work. From what I gather, you do exceptional work, much better than other detailers.

Maybe a very short slogan?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #21
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

Watch shadows on small text when printing, you might just end up with a blurry mess and make sure the printer is good if you do white on black printing because you may end up with creep on the text.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #22
boyce'06 330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Slvr/Gray Prem/Sport

I like the animated one because most of the high-end detailers, around here anyway, have a picture of a nice car on their business card... going that route may inadvertently blend you in rather than setting you apart.

Have you thought about hiring a local college kid (graphic arts/design) to design a custom card for you?

Also, don't understimate the power of color. You might take this opportunity to "own" a color, a color that could become instantly recognizable as GTA in Detail's color. You may never have the brand power of a Verizon (Red), IBM (Big Blue), Coke (Red), Pepsi (Blue and Red), Dell (Blue), H&R Block (Green), etc... but each of those is recognizable by their colors.

Just my $.02... Good luck!
Appreciate 0