BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ..

I had a Gintani Catless X-pipe for about 7 months paired with the stock mufflers and was extremely happy. Last Thursday I got the Meisterschaft GTS Exhaust. I knew the GTS wasnt as loud as the GT or the GT2 but this thing is too freeking loud for me.

The two options I have are:

1. Add 18" Resonators added to the x-pipe (it currently has one pair.) Work will be done my Piper Motors in Sterling VA. Yes the same Piper motors who were responsibile for the V10 E30 M3 (Look for it in the April eurotuner). I do not wish to add High Flow Cats.

2. Go back to my old setup.

I really need expert advice... If I do go with option number one what results can i expect. How much will it reduce the noise by? I am hoping to achive a 35-40% reduciton between the new exhaust break-in and the resonators. Am I asking for too much?

Update:
[u2b]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mBe8ZbfyytA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mBe8ZbfyytA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Sorry about the crappy Vid, There was a truck next to me in the begining of the video.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j6AYSe7G64I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j6AYSe7G64I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Last edited by baarii; 03-23-2010 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

its a car not a dirt-bike, keep it clean.
For a while I was going to get the loudest exhaust out there just to be loud but then realized.. wtf
lol, now that I think of it it's all about performance and quality!
I think if given' the chance ($) i'll get the akrop'

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
its a car not a dirt-bike, keep it clean.
For a while I was going to get the loudest exhaust out there just to be loud but then realized.. wtf
lol, now that I think of it it's all about performance and quality!
I think if given' the chance ($) i'll get the akrop'
I was actually trying to get rid of the raspiness that comes with any catless x-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarii View Post
I was actually trying to get rid of the raspiness that comes with any catless x-pipe.
If you have an x-pipe w/t the stock muffler, then that's exactly what you're going to get; raspiness.

Maybe pair the x-pipe w/t Eisenmann sport system.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

How feasible would it be for you to try the new exhaust with the OEM midpipe and cats? That might give you a good sense if the muffler is too loud or not for you liking. Then you may be able to determine if adding resonators to your xpipe is even worth the hassle and money.

Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Just throw on the resonators and see how it goes. It can't cost that much. In reality, it probably won't reduce the volume to what you're looking for.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Adding two additional resonator cans will probably take away some of the raspiness of the exhaust but won't do much to reduce the sound level. At least not to the level that you want.

The only two systems that I know of which offer close to stock sound level while providing performance gain and weight saving are Akrapovic Evolution and Amuse / Ericsson Titan Performa
      03-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

Sell your X-pipes to me and buy youself a new X-pipe with 4 resonators ... I'm sure it will be cheaper and nicer then buying to more resonators and chopping up you nice pipes
LTMW FTL . Karbonwerks LCI Trunk . Vorsteiner Poly Front Lip . NA Motorsports LUX H8 . RECARO Pole Position Seats . BMW Performance Pedals . BMW Performance Performance Grills . BMW Painted Fender Grills . BBS 19x9.5 19x11 LMs . Michelin PS2 265/295 . H&R Sport Springs . Wheel Mate 45/55MM Stud Kit . BBS Red Lug Nuts . ESS VT1 Supercharger . Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

i would sell the muffler and get a Dinan one. i have there midpipe and muffler and love it. not too loud but loud enough and no drone
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
How feasible would it be for you to try the new exhaust with the OEM midpipe and cats? That might give you a good sense if the muffler is too loud or not for you liking. Then you may be able to determine if adding resonators to your xpipe is even worth the hassle and money.

Just a thought.
Hmm I want to keep the gains I got from the Gintani so that is not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Just throw on the resonators and see how it goes. It can't cost that much. In reality, it probably won't reduce the volume to what you're looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Adding two additional resonator cans will probably take away some of the raspiness of the exhaust but won't do much to reduce the sound level. At least not to the level that you want.

The only two systems that I know of which offer close to stock sound level while providing performance gain and weight saving are Akrapovic Evolution and Amuse / Ericsson Titan Performa
I think these are the answers I was looking for. After reading both your's feedback I might end up selling the GTS and go with one of those or an Eise Sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808E90 View Post
Sell your X-pipes to me and buy youself a new X-pipe with 4 resonators ... I'm sure it will be cheaper and nicer then buying to more resonators and chopping up you nice pipes
Sure.. whats your zip code, I will mail it out first thing in the morning. I do love the Gintani x-pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
i would sell the muffler and get a Dinan one. i have there midpipe and muffler and love it. not too loud but loud enough and no drone
I dont know the idea of fake tips on the Dinan really bother me.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

I'll take the xpipe

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab5er View Post
I'll take the xpipe
I will have Alex give you a call tom?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #13
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Piper added another set of resonators to my Fabspeed Xpipe and HFC setup. I have a Eisenmann Sport. My issue was not volume but rather drone. The 2nd set of resonators cut out my drone. The resonators will not do much for volume, sorry. The design of a resonator is a a hollow tube with some fiberglass around the sides, but it is essentially a hollow tube. It is designed to slow down some of the exhaust gases and cut out drone/resonance hence resonators, there is nothing designed in a resonator that will quiet things down. Only a muffler can do that, or take out your X-pipe and go back to a stock mid section and keep your new exhaust. You are more than welcome to hear my car since you are local to me.
      03-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
Piper added another set of resonators to my Fabspeed Xpipe and HFC setup. I have a Eisenmann Sport. My issue was not volume but rather drone. The 2nd set of resonators cut out my drone. The resonators will not do much for volume, sorry. You are more than welcome to hear my car since you are local to me.
Thanks Ben! A few of us are meeting tonight by Design motoring in Sterling around 10 let me know of you want to come by, pm me for details.

Thanks for the offer to hear your exhaust. I heard this guys last year in Lomotion Corvette in NY. He had the same setup as yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Thanks Ben! A few of us are meeting tonight by Design motoring in Sterling around 10 let me know of you want to come by, pm me for details.

Thanks for the offer to hear your exhaust. I heard this guys last year in Lomotion Corvette in NY. He had the same setup as yours.
Sorry, no can do. I am in Alexandria, VA. Perhaps sometime this week, I can meet around me or in Tysons somewhere.
      03-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #16
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Video added to first post.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #17
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

ok i can help you with this since i had the GT2 with my gintani catless xpipe....i guarantee any exhaust you pair with any xpipe will NOT be as loud as my old setup UNLESS its a the kreissieg....so since you seem to be worried about gains you need to get rid of the GTS because those gains you are getting, are getting restricted because of the GTS muffler...how do i know this? because my GT2 was doing the same thing yet it was beautifully F1 loud and obnoxious it wasnt giving me the power i wanted so thats why i sold the GT2...my advice for you is to get rid of the muffler and get a gintani sport it will be pefect for the sound level you want and you will get max gains from both the xpipe and muffler
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #18
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
ok i can help you with this since i had the GT2 with my gintani catless xpipe....i guarantee any exhaust you pair with any xpipe will NOT be as loud as my old setup UNLESS its a the kreissieg....so since you seem to be worried about gains you need to get rid of the GTS because those gains you are getting, are getting restricted because of the GTS muffler...how do i know this? because my GT2 was doing the same thing yet it was beautifully F1 loud and obnoxious it wasnt giving me the power i wanted so thats why i sold the GT2...my advice for you is to get rid of the muffler and get a gintani sport it will be pefect for the sound level you want and you will get max gains from both the xpipe and muffler
I did talk to Alex and he suggested the sport for a quiter setup. I am going to meet up with a local member and check out his AA and another memeber's Akra. I will make my decision after i hear these setups. Its a shame the GTS sounded pretty good by it self..even with the x-pipe it sounded good (4th day cop pulled me over to give that compliment and no, no ticket) but it was too loud with the x-pipe.

Do you want to hear something louder and obnoxious?
Enjoy!!
[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iaOC4fqSGAY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iaOC4fqSGAY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
Alias
dork
Rep
Drives: //M

I have an Encore HFC system and I added 2 additional resonators. In terms on reducing the overall noise I can say count on at least 10-15%, but like others said is that it will help cut down some of the drone and raspyness.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I did talk to Alex and he suggested the sport for a quiter setup. I am going to meet up with a local member and check out his AA and another memeber's Akra. I will make my decision after i hear these setups. Its a shame the GTS sounded pretty good by it self..even with the x-pipe it sounded good (4th day cop pulled me over to give that compliment and no, no ticket) but it was too loud with the x-pipe.
that is a raw video, BUT my old setup was very similar believe me it was insane when i drove past people they jumped in their cars
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #21
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
that is a raw video, BUT my old setup was very similar believe me it was insane when i drove past people they jumped in their cars
I have heard a GT2 with no cats.. you have to hear this in person.. I would say def twice as loud as a catless GT2-ed m3..
V10 + Evo Sport Headers + No Cats + Eisenmann Race catback =
Ill try to upload a better vid later.

Here is a similar setup but this m6 has a GT2 instead of the Eise Race

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/reFHXfOFWYI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/reFHXfOFWYI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

What other options do I have for a quiter catback? Eise sport?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #22
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

dayyuummm see i would have kept my GT2 if it actually gave me more than 5hp....but you cant live that insane of a sound for too long IMO
Appreciate 0