BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

01-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Data logger for supercharger pulsating.

What is the best data logger to get? Im having a pulsating issue with my SC no one can replicate and Id like to try and record it thru a log when I drive.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 01-27-2015 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

Very opened ended question. Lots of options, lots of choices. Do you just need a logger? Do you want to hook it to your ECU? Do you want a camera? Do you want a dash?

I'd look at an AiM Solo DL and hook it up to your ECU for that data. You can add in a SmartyCam HD that will put the data on the video. Solo DL is around $700, SmartyCam HD is around $1k.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs
Very opened ended question. Lots of options, lots of choices. Do you just need a logger? Do you want to hook it to your ECU? Do you want a camera? Do you want a dash?

I'd look at an AiM Solo DL and hook it up to your ECU for that data. You can add in a SmartyCam HD that will put the data on the video. Solo DL is around $700, SmartyCam HD is around $1k.
Great question. I want whatever is needed to figure out why my ESS 550 pulsates.

It's been to the shop for three days and they can't replicate it. And I know they tried! They spent hours trying.

Yet I get in it and it does it on way home every single time.

They say it's fine with them, but when your car pulsates , you know something's not right. And it is intermittent so it could be perfect for them. But its driving me crazy!

So I'm looking for something that will show what it is since no one seems to know or can replicate it.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 01-27-2015 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

I don't see a data logger doing that.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #5
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Great question. I want whatever is needed to figure out why my ESS 550 pulsates.

It's been to the shop for three days and they can't replicate it.

Yet I get in it and it does it on way home every single time.

They say it's fine, but when your car pulsates , you know something's not right.

So I'm looking for something that will prove show what it is since no one seems to know or can replicate it.
Just change your plugs
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #6
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
Just change your plugs
My plugs and oil where changed at install less than 1K in miles ago. Then the shop tired a bigger pulley and I made MORE power (530whp) and still hit target boost (it should have made less boost and power).

The shop spent 3 days and had my car on the dyno for HOURS and it didnt do it for them once. And I believe it because it is intermitted. But man, it sucks because I look like im looking for an issue or something and I swear its doing this! Im about to put a fucking go pro on my car because when it happens my exhaust note totally changes up and down while it records my dash and p3 gauge.

So since the only solution next is for me to take the shop hostage and drive them around I thought it would help if I had a data logger monitor my drive to them which is 35-40 minute drive and seems to happen on the way home, so it might on the way there.

Its hard to drive there and hope it happens. If it does, then how am I going to get home and if it doesnt, then having the log showing something is up might help my cause. At least that was my thinking.
      01-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #7
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
I don't see a data logger doing that.
I dont know what datalogers for BMWs can monitor. But from my subaru days, they were a must and they did show a lot of useful info about what was going on (boost, timing fuel pressure, knock events, etc) so if you had a problem they were most helpful. Since I have a OTS tune for my SC and things are acting funny for me, I assumed it would help, if not give me a piece of mind.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 01-27-2015 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #8
Bashar368
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 green

i think you can try bmwlogger

or it could be your O2 sensors
      01-28-2015, 12:17 AM   #9
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar368 View Post
i think you can try bmwlogger

or it could be your O2 sensors
I wondered about those. I have had a tune on those for close to 10K in miles. I'll bring that up. Thank you!

I will look into bmwlogger. Thank you.
      01-28-2015, 03:03 AM   #10
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
I wondered about those. I have had a tune on those for close to 10K in miles. I'll bring that up. Thank you!

I will look into bmwlogger. Thank you.
Normally you would get a light for o2's but it could be
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry
I read about a similar noise and pulsing issue with an ESS SC on the GMP Performance website. GMP fixed the issue. Here is their description about it and links. See photos at links.

"This customer had a shop local to him install an ESS supercharger kit, but after driving the car developed a knocking sound. After some investigation we found the sound to be the supercharger system's bypass valve vibrating with the pulses of engine vacuum only when the system was in EVAP purge mode. After checking for proper EVAP system operation, proper bypass valve operation, and verifying that there were no vacuum/pressure leaks we discovered that redirecting the vacuum pulses by changing a T shaped hose fitting to a Y shaped fitting solved the problem."

https://www.gmpperformance.com/index...7#!prettyPhoto" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="https://www.gmpperfo...rettyPhoto</a>

https://www.gmpperformance.com/index...icle&VID=3307#" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="https://www.gmpperfo...&VID=3307#</a>

Thought this might provide a few clues.
Thank you! I'll look into that as well.
      01-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
I read about a similar noise and pulsing issue with an ESS SC on the GMP Performance website. GMP fixed the issue. Here is their description about it and links. See photos at links.

"This customer had a shop local to him install an ESS supercharger kit, but after driving the car developed a knocking sound. After some investigation we found the sound to be the supercharger system's bypass valve vibrating with the pulses of engine vacuum only when the system was in EVAP purge mode. After checking for proper EVAP system operation, proper bypass valve operation, and verifying that there were no vacuum/pressure leaks we discovered that redirecting the vacuum pulses by changing a T shaped hose fitting to a Y shaped fitting solved the problem."

https://www.gmpperformance.com/index...7#!prettyPhoto

https://www.gmpperformance.com/index...icle&VID=3307#

Thought this might provide a few clues.
Thank you for the post and links. We didn't even split this hose on my car.
on the blow off valve tip, i'm just going to run that directly to the p3 gauge only. i wonder if that will be a problem?

i'm sorry for the thread jack OP. i hope you figure out your problem.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Maybe someone posted this already but have you contacted Roman@ESS for his input?

I had some pulsing, rpm fluctuation at idle with one of my kits. Super minor raise and lower but I talked to Roman and changed my plugs and it went away. Either way I'm sure you already contacted Roman if not try him or take it to EAS they deal with a ton of ESS kits

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #14
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Maybe someone posted this already but have you contacted Roman@ESS for his input?

I had some pulsing, rpm fluctuation at idle with one of my kits. Super minor raise and lower but I talked to Roman and changed my plugs and it went away. Either way I'm sure you already contacted Roman if not try him or take it to EAS they deal with a ton of ESS kits
They're aware. AJ has been most helpful. EAS has been very helpful too.

Mine is part throttle onward pulsating. Not at idle or anything.

Hey, my work buddy wants to lease a 535. I will PM you.
      01-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #15
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
They're aware. AJ has been most helpful. EAS has been very helpful too.

Mine is part throttle onward pulsating. Not at idle or anything.

Hey, my work buddy wants to lease a 535. I will PM you.
awesome! Ill get him hooked up as you know

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #16
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
first, what do you exactly mean by pulsating? how exactly does the car behave and under what driving conditions?

for logging, I use the BMWLogger software and cable, it was like $100

new primary o2 sensors would probably be a good start, I was catless with BPM stage 2 NA tune with no cold start for 10k miles, then put on my ESS 550 kit and had to replace my o2 sensors shortly after due to fouling.

You may not be getting a code for primary o2's but they can start to give off inconsistent readings as they start to go bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrit View Post
first, what do you exactly mean by pulsating? how exactly does the car behave and under what driving conditions?

for logging, I use the BMWLogger software and cable, it was like $100

new primary o2 sensors would probably be a good start, I was catless with BPM stage 2 NA tune with no cold start for 10k miles, then put on my ESS 550 kit and had to replace my o2 sensors shortly after due to fouling.

You may not be getting a code for primary o2's but they can start to give off inconsistent readings as they start to go bad.

When Im driving say 4th gear around 4K rpm and crusing and hit the gas aggressively (doesnt have to be WOT, but WOT seems to make it worse) my car will hesitate, go, hesitate, go, hesitate then rocket to 8K.

You can feel the car pulsate and you can totally hear my exhaust go louder, quieter, louder quieter while it does it. It was once such a power drop and gain in power sometimes that it scares me my rear end might come loose.

I had to take a long highway drive yesterday and it did it like 5 times on me when I was just getting on the highway or passing. I see it the most in 4th but felt it pretty bad in 3rd yesterday.

The problem is it does this intermittently. And its been a cat and mouse game with the shop to find it. It sucks.

Off to buy that logger! (Edit) Ive emailed that company twice now about ordering there kit. I will try again! Whats up with the DCAN option?

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 01-28-2015 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #18
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
When Im driving say 4th gear around 4K rpm and crusing and hit the gas aggressively (doesnt have to be WOT, but WOT seems to make it worse) my car will hesitate, go, hesitate, go, hesitate then rocket to 8K.

You can feel the car pulsate and you can totally hear my exhaust go louder, quieter, louder quieter while it does it. It was once such a power drop and gain in power sometimes that it scares me my rear end might come loose.

I had to take a long highway drive yesterday and it did it like 5 times on me when I was just getting on the highway or passing. I see it the most in 4th but felt it pretty bad in 3rd yesterday.

The problem is it does this intermittently. And its been a cat and mouse game with the shop to find it. It sucks.

Off to buy that logger! (Edit) Ive emailed that company twice now about ordering there kit. I will try again! Whats up with the DCAN option?
Not sure what the DCAN option is, i just bought the cable that is compatible with our MSS60 ECU

regarding the hesitation, i felt that near the top of 3rd gear shortly after installing my blower and it was intermittent but not as violent as yours. weather didn't matter. it went away after installing new primary o2's. I didn't have a logger at the time, but it had to be due to the engine pulling timing, advancing, and back and forth.

I think the most likely culprits for those symptoms are primary o2, then possible spark plugs, and even less likely would be a fuel injector issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #19
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrit View Post
Not sure what the DCAN option is, i just bought the cable that is compatible with our MSS60 ECU

regarding the hesitation, i felt that near the top of 3rd gear shortly after installing my blower and it was intermittent but not as violent as yours. weather didn't matter. it went away after installing new primary o2's. I didn't have a logger at the time, but it had to be due to the engine pulling timing, advancing, and back and forth.

I think the most likely culprits for those symptoms are primary o2, then possible spark plugs, and even less likely would be a fuel injector issue.

I appreciate your advice. Ive been dealing with this since Christmas eve and I'm willing to try anything to get it to stop at this point. I might just order some right now. If they are simple plug and play, I'll do it myself.
      01-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #20
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Hhmmm. I speculate that we can still narrow this down a bit more.. You need to fill up with higher octane gas first, because t's possible that the ECU might be sensing some spark knock due to a lean mixture, at aggressive throttle application - or WOT, and then subsequently retarding the ignition. Hence, the momentary drop in power and hesitation you feel. Fill up with some 93 Octane gas AND then add some octane booster (or… Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner also increases octane rating of the gas). Now on the spark side the instantaneous increase in dynamic compression ratio when the boost comes on might be 'blowing out' the spark. The spark plug gap could be too wide or the plug heat range might be to cold. Also, turn off the traction control - or at least use only M Dynamic mode - just in case the traction control is sensing wheel spin and reducing the power. I once owned a late model twin turbo Supra (a-la Fast and Furious) and did something similar. However, that turned out to be low fuel pressure and I added a bigger pump. When you go WOT the ECU 'asks' the injectors to go to full duty cycle on the pulse width (essentially asks the injectors to dump as much fuel as need into the cylinders) to maintain air/fuel ratio and not lean out. That begs the question that your boost might be a little high. Go to a dyno and check air fuel ratio is not going lean. BUT try the octane booster and good gas (pure gas with no ethanol in it).

The shop said my car was on the dyno for hours and that the ARF's were fine. What they were, I dont know. But my P3 gauge monitors that. I can see it in real time.

I have some torco that they gave me to try. But Im hesitate to use it because I saw a thread the next day saying that stuff is bad and coats your plugs in something. I'll try some ots octant booster and see what happens.

They also put a bigger pulley on my car to see if it helped, but it only made MORE (should have made less) power and they said it hit target boost. I hit 6.5 before the pulley change and Ive only seen it hit 4.5 now, But I havent really hammered on it yet either. Im too scared too. But regardles its still doing it.

Since the shop says there is nothing mechanically wrong with my car, I can only assume its tune related. But until I get a logger or back to the shop, I have no clue. I'll have to ask them if they checked my 02 sensors though. Im not sure if they did.

Thank you again.
      01-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #21
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Before I order this

http://**************.com/BMWLogger-2

Does anyone know if there is a logger that also allows me to code my car too? I would hate to buy a cable if there is a cable that does both. It appears this logger does not offer coding (or doesnt mention it can be used to do so).