home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

06-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #23
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

of course the e92 isn't the same as the e30 and e46...it is called evolution. yes, true, the GT-R has the numbers and there might be more competition today than there was yesterday, but that doesn't take anything away from the ///M. If anything, it gives it special and unique value. The M3 is the only one of those cars that is built with inspiration and spirit. It possesses a unique character that offers much more than numbers on the track or 0-60 times.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #24
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

FWIW, my favorite car of all time has only 173 hp. I owned one in 1976 and it was (and still is) an incredibly fun car to drive. With the current desire for pure power and bragging rights, that car would be laughed at today. But it was and still is an overall driving classic. Hint: it was built in Stuttgart and has an air cooled engine

IMHO, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are for Nascar fanboys or Ricers with teeny peenies. Overall driving experience is what it's all about for me.

The current M3 still has all that desirable drivability. So what if there are faster cars. Go buy the fastest car. This thing with fastest and baddest has overshadowed the whole concept behind driving a well-heeled and impeccably designed sports car.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #25
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
FWIW, my favorite car of all time has only 173 hp. I owned one in 1976 and it was (and still is) an incredibly fun car to drive. With the current desire for pure power and bragging rights, that car would be laughed at today. But it was and still is an overall driving classic. Hint: it was built in Stuttgart and has an air cooled engine

IMHO, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are for Nascar fanboys or Ricers with teeny peenies. Overall driving experience is what it's all about for me.

The current M3 still has all that desirable drivability. So what if there are faster cars. Go buy the fastest car. This thing with fastest and baddest has overshadowed the whole concept behind driving a well-heeled and impeccably designed sports car.
Well put. The whole spec competition thing is not important to me. The M3 is a car that is 95% in so many areas it gives me great pleasure. BTW, my first new car was a '73 2002 with 102 hp, that was still a blast to dirve, as well.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #26
stillclaimndp
Dancing Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 ZSP

id rather buy an e46 m3 with 50k miles on it for 20k than pay 70k for a new e92 m3 and get pulled by a 335i with just a piggyback and intake on my way to work (in fact I just did)

i agree that the M3 has lost it's grip on it's once decisive $ for $ dominance/style. the gtr runs circles around it, the c63 pulls away however precariously, it has a little brother (335i) that can beat it in a wrestling match witch just a piggy and looks as good with a few inexpensive cosmetic upgrades, there is the 08 C6 vette to consider...

I remember in 2002 a laguna seca blue e46 m3 pulled up and I thought it was an 80,000 dollar car and couldn't imagine what the owner did for a living. i wondered what it was like to drive and at the time even the now simple interior stood apart from the masses. now if an e92 m3 pulls up it looks like a 60k car but costs 70k and just isn't that far ahead of the 335i which is good for bmw but bad for the m3 owner.

im just not that curious about the e92 m3 although it is truly a kick to drive from what i have read, there is nothing defining about it. it just sorta doesn't have anything bad you can say about it and is sharp/powerful enough to keep you interested unlike say a b6 S4.
2007 e90 & 1981 Corvette Predecessors: 2007 BMW 335i E92, 2006 M5, 2008 Viper SRT10 Coupe, 2005 Viper Yellow, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2006 S4, 2001.5 Nogaro Blue S4, 2006 GTI w/ DSG, 06 Evo IX, 04 S4, 04 911x51, 03 Evo VIII, 98 Eclipse GSX, 96 GST, 92 Galant Vr-4, '70 Grand Prix Model J, '70 Nova, '68 Firebird
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #27
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT

Kind of a useless thread. What are buying the M3 for? If you are buying it to be a race car then you are retarded. This car brings balance between performance and luxury. Are you going to drive that GT-R as your daily driver? I highly doubt it unless you like getting your ass kicked all over the road. The GT-R is a track monster and is designed for that sole purpose, the M3 is not. As well, enough with this 335 garbage, I had one, guess what I did with it? People who say this obviously have not driven both the 335 and the M3. It doesn't compare with the M3 unless you think similar 0-60 times (vs. a chipped 335 of course) are everything (enjoy your blown turbos and limp modes btw). The M3 defeats the 335 everywhere else. To each their own but at the end of the day I want a car where I can relax and enjoy it for its luxury or press a button and bring a smile to my face with its performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 02:43 AM   #28
kyoko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80, G01

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by serven7 View Post
Did I read this right you almost crashed a car in a parking lot?

Are you serious you judged the C63 off a lap around the dealership?

I propose that all jerkoffs wanting to come here and slam the M3 include in there post a photo of the title to an M3 with there name on it because every negative thread I read always has one constant THEY DONT OWN A M3
LOL... That makes a lot of sense. Lets me go spend 70k on a car and then bash the car cause I made a poor choice...

How about a test drive or some time behind the wheel?! I test drove a 335i and thought it was a nice machine. Then I test drove the M3 and I know which one I'm going to order.

I think that there are lots of cars coming out that have been gunning for the M3 for a long long time now. Some of them almost have the formula and some are still quite off.

Sure there are plenty of cars that can out perform it that cost $$ less, but you don't get that driving pleasure out of it. That sensation you get when you throw it down to 2nd or 3rd and rev to 8k... listen to that exhaust noise as you carve up that back road and then that grin you get on your face.

Not many cars can give you that thrill and excitement as you drive to work or do your errands...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #29
DOCTOR 3VIL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/E92 M3

In my opinion the e46 looks a lot meaner and better
I think the E92 M3 has been toned down a little bit to get more customers and hence sell more and make more profit, but whatever.
And yes I did drive an E92 M3 conv. Thought the exhaust note was nice at first but after a while it got to be annoying (let the bashing beginn ...)

Last edited by DOCTOR 3VIL; 08-20-2008 at 12:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #30
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
+ plus

this thread analysis after a 5 month revisit no longer holds water
... with the advent of the DCT, most seem to like what has become of the new M3

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #31
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

The problem with the GTR is that its a flappy paddle only car, therefore I must label it as a car for people who either wear ties or are women (of which I am neither.) Oh, and no offense here to all you DCT people (or women). Secondly, it drives all 4 wheels and for some, this is not as much fun.

This brings me nicely to the Audi RS4. Not only is it quattr, it is an Audi, and therefor will break. A lot. I owned an Audi, and likely never will again. However, even with my hatred of Audi, I can not ignore the forthcoming RS5. I drove a S5 recently and I finished the test drive saying "if only it had 100 more HP." I got home and researched to reveal that the new RS5 will come with.... 100 more HP!

I'm really not an audi fan, but that car will give the M3 a serious run for its money with the extra HP. Ergonomically, its much better than the M3 and it has a good feel, albeit a bit heavy and vague - more of a touring car than sport. Its definitely going to be just two different flavors of the same ice cream.

There is also AMG, but anyone who has actually owned a mercedes knows what a mistake it is buying one of them, especially new.

So, what other options are there for a high powered, rear wheel drive sports car with a back seat (a requirement for many of us)? Porsche - overpriced and really not good unless you get a new one, or a GT3/turbo etc, and then you're talking REALLY overpriced. I cant think of anything... Maybe the new CTS-V.. But do I want to buy a caddy?!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #32
matt beard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR 6sp.E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfart View Post
Taken from a blog so pls dont flame me but seek your opinion or personal analysis:

synosis:

The best two M3's were the first generation and the E46 M3. The reason why is at the time, they had absolutely no competitors for the price (at least in the USA, since the GT-R still destroyed M3's everywhere else). The E46 M3, when released in 2001 not only looked FAR better than all other E46's, it performed head and shoulders above them as well. They absolutely crushed all their competition at their price. But now, BMW has a huge problem. The first is internal. BMW is now trying to sell 100,000 M3's a year by their own words, and you can't do this without diluting ///M the brand. They had to soften it from the previous gen, and although its a great car, its a compromise between luxury and track performance. It absolutely is NOT a track car. Its just another car you can take to the track. Also, now you have other problems in that the Audi RS4 can go toe to toe with the M3, and the brand new Nissan GT-R absolutely destroys it at the same price on any field anywhere regardless of the test. The M3 has been dethroned. And this is coming from someone who has a E46 and E93. Face it, the legend of the M3 is just history now. BMW has resorting to allow the ///M to stand for MARKETING instead of motorsport now

your thoughts?
Man, you sure have out thought that. Its a beautiful car that handles well with pleny of power. Who cares if //M freaks dont think its as pure as this m or that, it does what it promises. You remind me of one of those guys who really was a big fan of some garage band somewhere, and when they supposedly "went commercial" and started to sell albums, you spitefully stopped listening. Heaven forbid BMW try to market a vehicle with the purpose of making a profit. As far as the GTR is concerned, 15000$ more is not the same. If you like it buy it, why be concerned with all this useless "the true //m is gone" drivel.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #33
matt beard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfart View Post
my analysis:

yesterday I was able to test drive a C63 at a local dealer who happens to get a 2008 'C63 AMG at their lot. The CA was able to just have me drive it around the parking lot several times to get the feel for it. Its undeniably very torguey from the get go, I was very surprse but still very concerned that the rear end is very loose. I almost wrap the car around a light post

This a very dangerous car to have to be playing around the torgueness, I though. This car reminds me of a Viper the has the power but without a purpose. This car longevity will be very short live I thought, with the gas prices moving towards $5 and more. I will have no control over how I need to manage the power, much less the gas I put in it. Its there and to be paid for at $4.26 every 10 miles. Not FUN

So OK lets say you're finally called a AMG guy, Can I still sustain hanging around my crowd for their long drives and not think that I have to fork another $75 to fill the tank, much else hope to find a service station nearby. Will folks see me and say "Look at that AMG, stopping for gas again. What a way to go to be a wannabe"

To me Not all that glitters is gold for why did the Benz GM offered me 2 ea. Benz 2yr/26k mile maintenance service last night in his effort to get my business. Its then clear that they cant moved the car with today economy, and high gas prices. The last thing a prospecrive AMG buyer coming from a Bimmer world is that he has to fork out cash for service every 10k miles driven.

Its foolish to even use the argument that there are 80 AMGs vs 800 e92 M3 cars in the marketplace as a driving point for the favoring the Merc. Study your logic, is called proportionality. A guy that made 80 cars vs a guy that made 800 cars will both loose 10% proportion on their marketshare in a slow market. Its simply that the guy who made more cars, had projected bigger sales bcoz he has bigger market shares vs a guy that has less.

I hope to move up to a M3 someday, for it seems like it has the staying power that most can only attempt to dethrone. Even 335i owners brag of their Tque, find themselves turning the car for the M badge, soon I will be too.
You must be a split personality. or maybe just retarded. In one month you went from ripping the //m apart with your dethroned garbage, to now you cant wait to own one. Hello reality. As far as the c-63 is concerned, if you are thinking of the cost of gas you probably cant afford the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #34
matt beard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3Stig View Post
I will say that does irritate me, as well. Even though I am a troll since I don't own an E92 M3, I still lurk the boards in search of enlightening posts, or the lack therof.
Having said that, a friend of mine has a Jet Black/black M3 and it's gnarly... A good comparison/yet so much different than my RS4. But who's counting...
Is it as good as your Lambo, or Ferrari, or how about your 959 or GT2. Utter blow hard bs. You probably drive a celica.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #35
flyinggonzo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

At the end of the day, despite our weekend warrior aspirations, most of us need a car that can be a great daily driver. Sure, we're willing to have a twitchier throttle response, and a much stiffer suspension, but we can a car that works out of the box and without much thought. Anyone who is actually serious about tracking their car, beyond a recreational hobby, gets a dedicated track car. Even on enthusiast boards, I'd say the guys who have tracked their cars a couple of times or more in a year still represent the minority.

IMO, the new M3 is a great car, and think it is a far better track car far better than its main rivals (c63, rs4, isf). Journalist opinions have consistently rated the M3 above its rivals, and have complimented its engine and handling prowess. And, even in reviews where the M3 does not have the top engine/top performance figures, the car has always been complimented on its driving feel.

I think the M3 launch has been overshadowed by the introduction of several sports cars this year which is why you get posts like this. Those are all great track vehicles, but, to me, the M3 is the ultimate expression of a "track" sedan, and it meets that goal beautifully.

p.s.: I don't think the GTR is a unfair comparison for any car that's not marketed as a dedicated track vehicle. The more I read about this car, the more I think the car was not ready for mass production in the traditional sense. The performance to value ratio is so good, because: (i) Nissan is taking a loss selling the car and funding this partially out of their marketing budget; and (ii) the major components of the car were not built to standard mass production engineering tolerances. Evidence? The ease at which owners are finding themselves in warranty disputes with Nissan ($20k for a transmission because you used launch control?!); and the fact that Nissan is raising prices significantly this year.
      11-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #36
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

The E46 M3 is the industry standard "purists" sports coupe, yesterday, today, and tomorrow too. Cars are getting bigger, heavier, more plush, more complex, and more automated. If you want raw thrills without frills, the E46 M3 is for you. Plus, there are more performance parts available for it than anything else on the planet. It's power to weight isn't far behind the E92 M3, and it's only a final gear change away from equalling its acceleration (at least the 6MT). I like the E92 M3. But I still look at E46 M3s and lust. A few reasonably-priced suspension and drivetrain mods and it's far more fun to drive too, which is what it's all about anyway.
      11-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #37
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
+1
I agree

I find myself admiring a quad exhaust e46 driving home tonight and wished I could afford keeping mine when upgraded to a e92.

I long to have the same again after I pay this off
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #38
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
I own an E46 M3 right now and I am eyeing the E92 M3 like no other. However, the competition now is extremely close with the C63, Audi RS and many more. Even the Skyline is an amazing car.

Honestly, if you want a track car though just go get an EVO or Sti or Skyline! The M3 is a great track car but it is built more as a luxury track car. So if you do want that track feeling go get a car that is more for it. EVO and STi both cheaper to mod too.

For me I am more of luxury sport... Thus the M3 and C63 are perfect. heck i am even considering a 335i. The E46 M3 mods are expensive as hell too.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #39
th3Stig
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT500 Eleanor

no matt beard, just not as good as my Z06 or GT-R. I thought my RS4 was better than an E92 M3, but I got rid of that and got a GT-R. Anything else I can help you to understand?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #40
leokym
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

e46 M3 rocks! Its the feel.. like no other.. E92 M3 too advance for liking.. DCT, etc, etc.. Looks wise.. e46 more raw in my opinion.. e92 too soft looking..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #41
MidwestBimmerFan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3, 1976 2002

BLAH BLAH BLAH..... Complain Complain Complain!!!! Some people will never be happy. There will always be faster cars out there but not one of them combines the balance, precision, response, power, sportiness, track friendliness, comfort, quality, reliability, full maintence warranty, fit N finish and every day usability that the M3 offers. If your that worried about lap times by a trailer and a purpose built race car like an open wheel car and you will be faster than any car with doors. The M3 is all about the art and pleasue of driving witch it does perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 02:38 AM   #42
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
I am f**king tied of hearing how the Nissan G-TR kills the M3. So it F**king should, its a 4 wheel drive car with 60 hp more.

Build a 4 wheel drive M3, give it the same HP and see who gets on top. Who in there right mind would want a piece of fly in the pants, once in every 12 years build, with no LC warranty, built out of disposalble beer cans, ricer with no heritage, broken gearbox that you cannot track with out the dealer sticking it up your a**e, piece of S**t that cost $12k more.

I'd would but don't tell anyone, but I would buy it with your money!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.

Last edited by watrob; 11-06-2008 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #43
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBimmerFan View Post
BLAH BLAH BLAH..... Complain Complain Complain!!!! Some people will never be happy. There will always be faster cars out there but not one of them combines the balance, precision, response, power, sportiness, track friendliness, comfort, quality, reliability, full maintence warranty, fit N finish and every day usability that the M3 offers. If your that worried about lap times by a trailer and a purpose built race car like an open wheel car and you will be faster than any car with doors. The M3 is all about the art and pleasue of driving witch it does perfectly.
educated man. well said!
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #44
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
I am f**king tied of hearing how the Nissan G-TR kills the M3. So it F**king should, its a 4 wheel drive car with 60 hp more.

Build a 4 wheel drive M3, give it the same HP and see who gets on top. Who it there right mind would want a piece of fly in the pants, once in every 12 years build, with no LC warranty, built out of disposalble beer cans, ricer with no heritage, broken gearbox that you cannot track with out the dealer sticking it up your a**e, piece of S**t that cost $12k more.

I'd would but don't tell anyone, but I would buy it with your money!

hahaha....disposable beer cans!! thats hilarious dude.
i'd take an M3 anyday. E92, E46...right...down the line. M3 has and always will be the standard IMO; the ultimate balance between luxury, power, and precision.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0