BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
XxMerlinxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Updating ECU Software

So I went to my local dealership today to talk to them about upgrading the ecu firmware for my '08 E92, as the only service records on my car show them changing out the brake fluid not long ago.

The SA basically said that I would be taking a risk doing it, because there was a chance that something might not work later. I asked him to explain and he said that if a module had a fault in it, but my current firmware didn't see it, it may not work after the update was finished Then they'd have to replace whatever was broken. That seemed like something of a vague answer to me, but I asked him how much it would cost. $300. I said that seemed high for something that required little to no labor and would likely only take a half hour to an hour. He said, "Oh no, we did one the other day and it was about 8-9 hours." I thanked him for his time and went on my way.

Is there some way for me to do this on my own? I'm sure my car's running the original firmware from '08 and would really like to update it to the newest version.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Try a indie shop or buy a tune?

From what i read, most of the tunes come with the new firmware so that you can install their tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX View Post
So I went to my local dealership today to talk to them about upgrading the ecu firmware for my '08 E92, as the only service records on my car show them changing out the brake fluid not long ago.

The SA basically said that I would be taking a risk doing it, because there was a chance that something might not work later. I asked him to explain and he said that if a module had a fault in it, but my current firmware didn't see it, it may not work after the update was finished Then they'd have to replace whatever was broken. That seemed like something of a vague answer to me, but I asked him how much it would cost. $300. I said that seemed high for something that required little to no labor and would likely only take a half hour to an hour. He said, "Oh no, we did one the other day and it was about 8-9 hours." I thanked him for his time and went on my way.

Is there some way for me to do this on my own? I'm sure my car's running the original firmware from '08 and would really like to update it to the newest version.

The reason why updating your vehicle at the dealership may take all day is this...The factory BMW computer works online.
It can only update modules in the order that they appear in the vehicle order.
So, if you have 7 modules out of date and the estimated time is 5 hours, it'll take some time.
That and if they lose internet connection, something times out and has to restart etc...it can take 1 or 2 days.

Best bet is to find a local shop with an Autologic or a programming computer that they are experienced with and then can assist you with individual module programming.
For the ECU I would recommend checking the software level of the trans. as well if you are SMG
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt
Quote:

The reason why updating your vehicle at the dealership may take all day is this...The factory BMW computer works online.
It can only update modules in the order that they appear in the vehicle order.
So, if you have 7 modules out of date and the estimated time is 5 hours, it'll take some time.
That and if they lose internet connection, something times out and has to restart etc...it can take 1 or 2 days.

Best bet is to find a local shop with an Autologic or a programming computer that they are experienced with and then can assist you with individual module programming.
For the ECU I would recommend checking the software level of the trans. as well if you are SMG
This is not the way it works...

The files being programmed are stored locally or on an internal server. They are not accessed from over the web. And modules are not programmed in the order of how they appear in the vehicle order... The vehicle order doesn't list modules, it lists vehicle options/equipment which may invoke a module or combination of fitted modules.

Modules fail sometimes during programming, it's rare, but it does happen. If it does, the dealer doesn't want to be liable for it. It's rare with the current programming systems. On the older Progman system, it would happen more frequently.

OP: my advise would be to go with an an aftermarket tune, or pay them the $ for an update. Another alternative would be an Indy shop with an autologic. If you are local to CA we can update your DME in 5 min. Engine and transmission software levels should match also.

The longest full update I've seen on an M3 is about 6 hours. Usually we do full car updates in 3-4. If there is a failure or they have to redo something, this can add some more time.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
TuningTech FS
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Mercedes, & Porsche

Merlin if you are local to Maryland we can assist which ever route you choose (update/aftermarket tune). We also have a Autologic at our facility.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
XxMerlinxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

I'm in South Carolina, so that'd be a bit of a drive. Thanks though.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
TuningTech FS
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Mercedes, & Porsche

Quote:
I'm in South Carolina, so that'd be a bit of a drive. Thanks though.
We also offer remote tuning which means you do not have to go anywhere
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Unless you buy a tune or expensive equipment, this isn't something you can do yourself. My car was noticeably better after the 240E update.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

OP, if you have not had an upgrade since 2008 your going to want the latest DME software. Regardless if you get one with a tune (BPM is the one I'm with, and quite happy with it) or not, going from 50E to 240E will make a world of difference from everything from your idle to how much fuel the vehicle burns. I highly recommend it. The only question would be if you go the 300 dollar route and either get an indy shop to do your car or if you spend the 700 on a tuned version that includes 240E.

Don't think twice about it, you won't regret it.

Oh and if you have DCT... Which I do not... You'll notice even more improvements.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I got the same schpiel from my service advisor when I asked for them to flash 240E. He said "we aren't liable if a module fails blah blah blah". I just paid one hour of labor, but he told me it takes several hours -- though to be clear, it's not like the tech is sitting there doing work the whole time. They start the process and go on to other things.
      09-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

any notable differences for 6MT on original 2008 software?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #12
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
Some things I observed are better cold start and cold drive character, smoother driveability, and slightly improved fuel economy. It may feel a little peppier as well. You won't regret the DME update especially if you're on the original software.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 05:59 AM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
I went from 100E on my 08M3 6MT earlier this year to 240E. Used a shop with Autologic and paid $180. Did not do before and after dynos, but felt a little snappier to me. I have no regrets. There are reports that just updating early software to late software is worth about 10 rwhp.

I periodically clear my adaptions so I was used to running 100E on cleared adaption. Just clearing adaption can add power, and that is a factor that should be considered when evaluating the claimed or even dyno proven gains from a tune in back to back comparisons to stock. Often the reflash process will include clearing adaptions. Its a catch 22 situation since if you do not dyno on the same day and instead wait a few days or longer for adaption on the new tune to build up, there can be 10 rwhp worth of variation on the dyno.

The only thing I definitely am certain about is that I had no emissions CEL with the old tune and have regularly been getting emissions CEL since the tune. Could be a coincidence with a rear 02 giving out exactly at that time, but I am not convinced. I had my BMS DP Fix set up and it worked. But since the reflash I have not been able to dial in the BMS DP Fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Pnonsalb, how do you clear that adaption??
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

EAS published a few dyno charts confirming power gain when upgrade from old xxE software to 2xxE.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #16
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Pnonsalb, how do you clear that adaption??
I use bmwlogger. Another good option is bmwhat
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #17
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Clearing adaptations can also cause a loss of power. Clearing them without a valid reason to do so is a futile exercise.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 06:23 AM   #18
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Would you say that clearing adaptions most often causes a loss of power or a gain of power on these cars?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #19
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Would you say that clearing adaptions most often causes a loss of power or a gain of power on these cars?

I don't know the innerworkings of the DME as well as Benvo, but I would say it probably relates back to long-term fuel trims that the computer is learning.

It's a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Anxious to hear Benvo's detailed info, though.
      09-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #20
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I don't know the innerworkings of the DME as well as Benvo, but I would say it probably relates back to long-term fuel trims that the computer is learning.

It's a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Anxious to hear Benvo's detailed info, though.
Anxious ?
Well all I can say is that Mike-Benvo with his tune made my car really better... engine and DCT trans .
He is actually the man for our cars and I'm saying this from out Belgium.
And the BPM customer service and knowledge is outstanding , compaired Mike to our BMW/Dealers I'm sure they really suck .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 12:46 AM   #21
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Just clearing adaption can add power, and that is a factor that should be considered when evaluating the claimed or even dyno proven gains from a tune in back to back comparisons to stock. Often the reflash process will include clearing adaptions. Its a catch 22 situation since if you do not dyno on the same day and instead wait a few days or longer for adaption on the new tune to build up, there can be 10 rwhp worth of variation on the dyno.
I have a solution:

1. Clear adaptation on stock car. Dyno.
2. Install aftermarket tune which includes clearing adaptation. Dyno
3. Compare.
Appreciate 0