BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

05-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #23
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I would get clear bra on every color except white. It turns yellow over time which is very noticeable if you have a white car. Any dark color car, clear bra is a must.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #24
Periokid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I would get clear bra on every color except white. It turns yellow over time which is very noticeable if you have a white car. Any dark color car, clear bra is a must.
So you don't mind chips on your white car?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #25
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

You can get chips through clear bra. What are you saving? 75% of damage on your car are rock chips and rash from your tires on your rocker's. You can't stop the damage. Plus after a couple of years when you decide to take out the clearbra isn't the color of the parts that you put the 3m going to show more on a dark colored car (darker and dull)?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #26
Zoli007
Professional lurker
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 MCB M3 sold =(

I absolutely hate clear bra's. I should put that in capital letters.

The FEW that I have seen done well Im sure cost an arm and a leg. I had it installed on my former corvette's front bumper and headlights. The car was lemans blue, the point which I hated was some of the corners had some melt marks due to the stretching required to get it installed.

That could be an installation issue. The thing I hated about it and makes me never want to get it again is this. It swirls like a MOFO! I would wash the car normally as I've always done and the hood was perfectly fine, just a few small minor swirls and then the bumper looked like I'd been washing the car with brillo pads for years.

Almost every clear-bra'ed car I've seen has this. I saw a GT3 RS with a full clear wrap, you think you complain about orange peel now? See how it looks with the plastic on it.

I would MUCH rather just respray the front bumper every 2-3 years and have a few chips but nice clean paint around them, than to have nicks and cuts in the plastic wrap which is swirled to hell just to have nice paint under it.

The only thing I WOULD do is your headlights. That is worthwhile and good. Cheap, and easy to replace.

Consider this, it costs maybe $400-500 to paint your bumper? Try getting clear bra for less than that.

Just my 2 cents, I do speak from experience but I know Im probably singular in this opinion, but I have had it, and will never waste my money on it again.
      05-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #27
Periokid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

To chip paint through the film means one hell of a hit. I removed my old precut kit and the car was pristine underneath. I just wanted a better fitting custom kit. I think it is a worth while investment.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #28
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoli007 View Post
I absolutely hate clear bra's. I should put that in capital letters.

The FEW that I have seen done well Im sure cost an arm and a leg. I had it installed on my former corvette's front bumper and headlights. The car was lemans blue, the point which I hated was some of the corners had some melt marks due to the stretching required to get it installed.

That could be an installation issue. The thing I hated about it and makes me never want to get it again is this. It swirls like a MOFO! I would wash the car normally as I've always done and the hood was perfectly fine, just a few small minor swirls and then the bumper looked like I'd been washing the car with brillo pads for years.

Almost every clear-bra'ed car I've seen has this. I saw a GT3 RS with a full clear wrap, you think you complain about orange peel now? See how it looks with the plastic on it.

I would MUCH rather just respray the front bumper every 2-3 years and have a few chips but nice clean paint around them, than to have nicks and cuts in the plastic wrap which is swirled to hell just to have nice paint under it.

The only thing I WOULD do is your headlights. That is worthwhile and good. Cheap, and easy to replace.

Consider this, it costs maybe $400-500 to paint your bumper? Try getting clear bra for less than that.

Just my 2 cents, I do speak from experience but I know Im probably singular in this opinion, but I have had it, and will never waste my money on it again.

Sounds like you had a bad job done. I wouldn't generalize this as I have it on all of my cars and I do not have any of those defects you speak of. From experience, I would say it is 90% the person doing it and the rest the quality of the stuff. All the stuff I have on my cars do not have any orange peel and that is even on my black CGT.

The bumper on my M3 had to be replaced. I had it painted by a very reputable company here in Southern California (Premier Motorsports in Carson) and paint work for the bumper costed $700. On my F430, it ran $2000, but that is because the trims and some minor parts had to be replaced.

But then again, I have a very good clear shield company pretty local to me that is very good.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #29
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotion View Post
Sounds like you had a bad job done. I wouldn't generalize this as I have it on all of my cars and I do not have any of those defects you speak of. From experience, I would say it is 90% the person doing it and the rest the quality of the stuff. All the stuff I have on my cars do not have any orange peel and that is even on my black CGT.

The bumper on my M3 had to be replaced. I had it painted by a very reputable company here in Southern California (Premier Motorsports in Carson) and paint work for the bumper costed $700. On my F430, it ran $2000, but that is because the trims and some minor parts had to be replaced.

But then again, I have a very good clear shield company pretty local to me that is very good.

Inmotion...where did you get your clear bra put on down here in Orange County? I'm in Irvine looking for a place that does quality work. Think you can PM the price too? Thanks.

2009 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black
Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #30
ROADKING36
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: wanted 09 M3

Where is the best place to get a clearbra near MD?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #31
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMBO_M3 View Post
Inmotion...where did you get your clear bra put on down here in Orange County? I'm in Irvine looking for a place that does quality work. Think you can PM the price too? Thanks.
Premier. They're from Norcal. Had them do all of my cars on various road trips they make to the area. I've had the shield done by many people and I would give my humble thumbs up to Premier. www.premiermobilegroup.com is their website. Been told they are opening up in my backyard somewhere in OC.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #32
runedub
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I spoke to Premier at Bimmerfest. They said that they're planning to open a shop in the Irvine area in late May or early June. They should make a public announcement soon.

Perfect timing for me! I'm taking a delivery on an M3 around that time. Going to drive it straight there from the dealer's lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #33
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotion View Post
Premier. They're from Norcal. Had them do all of my cars on various road trips they make to the area. I've had the shield done by many people and I would give my humble thumbs up to Premier. www.premiermobilegroup.com is their website. Been told they are opening up in my backyard somewhere in OC.
Thanks inmotion! I noticed you mentioned them in your other post...but saw they were up in NorCal and thought you might have found a place down here.

I see their tour schedule on their website now. Last time out here was early March...I guess I'll give them a call and see when they plan to come down again. Thanks.

Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #34
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 - AW, 6MT

Got the clear bra done by Premier last Saturday. They did an awesome job
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #35
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker23 View Post
Good to hear!

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #36
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker23 View Post
How much coverage did you go with. I will probably be having them do mine as well. I was intially going to have them do the whole front end but now I'm actually considering just doing the front bumper since that seems to be what takes the biggest beating. If any yellowing or fading were to occur down the road, it wouldn't be that big of a deal if it were only applied to the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 01:30 AM   #37
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Did the following:
- Custom hood (full 1 pc)
- Custom bumper (full 1 pc)
- Custom side mirrors
- Rocker panels
- Inner arch kit
- Headlights (part of the basic package)
- Partial fenders (part of the basic package)

Will be there this Friday to add the door cups. I had the car covered within a few days of taking delivery. I suggest getting this done as soon as you can. The decision for the coverage was made based on the feedback from other members in this forum. It seems that the hood and the rocker panels (area behind the tires) are as prone to pits as much as the bumper. With respect to yellowing, there are certain angles that the covered areas look a bit different. But then again even the factory paint will have slight variations due to panels being different materials.

IMHO using Premier to do a precut install will not maximize their capability. Premier really differentiates themselves with their custom installations. These guys are extremely good at what they do.

Last edited by Thinker23; 05-06-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 02:36 AM   #38
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

I did the full front. even with AW if you do the whole hood there is no line and only a little diff in the tint. I would prefer a little film tint that rock chips on myhood.
      05-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #39
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
even with AW if you do the whole hood there is no line and only a little diff in the tint. I would prefer a little film tint that rock chips on myhood.
Definitely!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #40
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
I had VentureShield done with their "standard" kit. Full bumper, half hood and fenders, door cups, mirrors, and door edges. One of the door edges is peeling (it wasn't fully set before first wash, but they'll fix it under warranty) and there's a couple TINY bubbles. My only regret is not getting the full hood. The line is fairly noticeable on IB from within 6 feet at certain angles.
      05-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #41
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep

Here's one of my cars shielded by them. I usually do the entire front or the whole car depending on what makes sense. Wouldn't use anyone but Premier as I believe I've tried just about every local jobber and the diff is night and day.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #42
ROADKING36
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: wanted 09 M3

Is there a Premier in MD?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #43
htp autoworks
Private
Rep
Drives: A fast one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADKING36 View Post
Is there a Premier in MD?
Nope.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #44
WKBRDR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I had a full hood/fender/bumper custom venture film on my AW for 2 months and it yellow'd.. had it replaced and it slightly yellow'd again... it was noticable enough to drive me nuts.. i had it removed and got a full refund. I gave up on the clear bra after that...

-20% Tint/GP Thunder 8500k Bulbs/BMW Performance Pedals/AFE Air Filter/Eisenmann Race
Appreciate 0