BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #133
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Cool, are we about to get into a title throwing/money pissing contest??
+1 BTW, which degree had swamp?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #134
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

At least

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
+1 BTW, which degree had swamp?

Best regards, south
Hey at least I was mentioning a science degree in a technical discussion about the details of torque vs. horsepower which IMO required some equations. A degree does contribute to ones ability to speak intelligently about some topics. How much you earn often just makes you annoying to talk to!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #135
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Hey at least I was mentioning a science degree in a technical discussion about the details of torque vs. horsepower which IMO required some equations. A degree does contribute to ones ability to speak intelligently about some topics. How much you earn often just makes you annoying to talk to!
Hope you didn't take my comment serious, did you? Just couldn't resist...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #136
gmund1948
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335 cab,C-6 08, 73 911E 59 D,

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant Win !!! View Post
Let me help you focus your image of me. I just got out of the marines after a sucessfull 4 years and i got a job in sales. I am probably going pay more on taxes this year then ur going to make. yes im at the tender age of 24 and if you view me as a kid why would a respectable man such as yourself be yelling at a child over an internet message board. im talking about cars why are you worried about me. so just throttle back there buddy.
Well It sounds like you are doing well, and thanks for serving, hope you
take/took advantage of the educational benefits that the services offer

I came on hard so maybe we could get in a positive discussion about something besides an Audis R-8 or RS5 and how much better it is than a BMW when you admit that you have not driven a car that is faster than that 8-10 seconds 0-60. Ths is a BMW Board, you don't learn much coming in as an Audi contrarian !

The following from my earlier post may ring true

Learn how to drive using SCCA or a local Autocross club, buy a sports car and have some fun Learn how to drive on those mountain roads they are a blast in a sports car.

If You want to learn about BMWs learn here, but learn please you have been a royal PITA by coming up with half arssed arguments on two cars you never seen, built by companies you have likely never driven products from.

Learn to Drive a sports car, try a BMW and an AUDI, Hell a Miata is a great car to learn with and come back and see us

In youth we learn; in age we understand.

Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
      08-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #137
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Hope you didn't take my comment serious, did you? Just couldn't resist...

Best regards, south
Yeah, I kind of knew. You are sometimes a bit sarcastic, but always with a hint of truth as well. Tough to read! You know the adage, "there is a bit of truth in every sarcasm".
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #138
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yes

Quote:
No your right. I definatly dont think your assets = your self worth. i felt my highest when i was serving in the millitary and i only made 15 grand a year. but also... a Degree does not make another persons OPINION worth more than anothers.. i have met tons of professional students...that did all there little classwork and teacher assignements and were idiots. einstien flunked out of school and van gough couldnt sell a painting to save his life. your not what a pice of paper says you are. regardless of if its a diploma or a bank statement.

on a totaly unrelated topic. one of the big things i am interested in on the board is if you plan rallys or things of that nature. Because that would be a good time. have you guys ever tried anything like this on this board and how did it turn out?
Indeed a degree does not guarantee a person really knows what they studied. However, in a debate about physics and or engineering. I would tend to listen more to the degreed person as opposed to a typical auto enthusiast board member. Not entirely relevant in the debate I was having though as lucid has a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering!

I would definitely enjoy a meet or rally or something like that as well. I think the e90post guys do that regionally. Probably would be a good idea to do it a couple months after we start taking deliveries here in the US.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #139
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I kind of knew. You are sometimes a bit sarcastic, but always with a hint of truth as well. Tough to read! You know the adage, "there is a bit of truth in every sarcasm".
that adage was new to me...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #140
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
No your right. I definatly dont think your assets = your self worth. i felt my highest when i was serving in the millitary and i only made 15 grand a year. but also... a Degree does not make another persons OPINION worth more than anothers.. i have met tons of professional students...that did all there little classwork and teacher assignements and were idiots. einstien flunked out of school and van gough couldnt sell a painting to save his life. your not what a pice of paper says you are. regardless of if its a diploma or a bank statement.
Clearly the anonymity of the internet is confusing you. I would rather listen to the opinion of an *expert* than some random internet noob. I am sure you would be happy to go to Dr. Nick Riviera from the Hollywood Upstairs Medical School for your eventual heart bypass since his opinion is worth the same as the guy with the real medical degree. The forums are full of people spouting bullshit they wouldn't dare say in real life but happily will regurgitate onto the internet.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #141
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
what RS5?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #142
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Wow, just checked this thread. Didn't realize my post kicked off so many other posts. Looks like we didn't get a pissing contest
      08-04-2007, 12:57 AM   #143
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Boosted Beemers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI_RS4 View Post
I'll be happy to race you and your "superior" M3 against my RS4 on a wet road (or track) any day, and see which posts the better times.
Who races on a wet track? Why would you want to do that? What is the point?

But nevertheless, a front heavy car will understeer more in the wet. On a tight, twisty damp track, the greasy conditions will exageratte the push you get because the front tyres will have even less grip.

You will battle to get the nose in & will loase loads of time on corner entry. Once you do get the nose in then you will be able to take advantage of your better traction.

However, it depends on the track, the type of turns, how wet it its, etc. You may not beat a balanced RWD in the wet with a good driver. It becomes easier to steer on the throttle with RWD in the wet.

Autocar ran the S4 vs E46 M3 is the wet & they struggled to get the pig to turn in the braking zone & the M3 lapped faster. A lighter more balanced 4WD like an Evo or Subaru will be a better option as they don't have that much weight over the front axle.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 01:35 AM   #144
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M View Post
Autocar ran the S4 vs E46 M3 is the wet & they struggled to get the pig to turn in the braking zone & the M3 lapped faster.
Can you find a link, article, video etc.? Sounds very interesting.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 06:42 AM   #145
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Boosted Beemers!

Quote:
Can you find a link, article, video etc.? Sounds very interesting.
As you wish, but the Audi guys are just gonna' say it's rigged. Having driven an S4 in the wet, I can tell you 1st hand you lose plenty time on corner entry. Have to really make a deliberate point to tell yourself to slow down even more before trying to get the nose in.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #146
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

I remember that story well. Back when Autocar was great, rather than the slight shambles it became last year.
      08-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #147
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M View Post
As you wish, but the Audi guys are just gonna' say it's rigged. Having driven an S4 in the wet, I can tell you 1st hand you lose plenty time on corner entry. Have to really make a deliberate point to tell yourself to slow down even more before trying to get the nose in.
Nice, thanks much for the scan and very informative article. I would definitely post this up as a new thread. Based on this I'd bet the new M3 may even out do the RS4 in the wet! But of course... the test was clearly rigged.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #148
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

I find my car (ok, minimal power, but thinner tyres too) is fine in the wet. I actually like the way it rides over the surface and it doesn't feel at all twitchy. Needless to say any back end movement wouldn't be ideal, but it would take an idiot to push a car like that on wet public roads.