BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Really impressed with Wal-Mart Automotive!

I started getting some steering wheel vibrations above 75mph after i put back my stock 19's about a month ago. I knew it had to do with the wheels not being balanced since i didn't get that with my V710's. Anyway after having the wheels balanced by two different tire shops,I was still getting the same steering wheel vibrations.

So today I took the car to Wal-Mart and told them to remove all the old weights (some shops are too lazy to remove the old weights) and rebalance the wheels.

The guys in the shop told me they usually don't see a lot of nice cars like the M3. They were fighting over who was gonna drive my car in.hahaha
After they did the work,I Took the car for a spin reaching speeds over 80mph,I got no vibrations whatsoever.

Anyway! very pleased with their work, they balanced the wheels where two so called specialized tire shop failed.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, 911 GTS manual,F80,G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
I started getting some steering wheel vibrations above 75mph after i put back my stock 19's about a month ago. I knew it had to do with the wheels not being balanced since i didn't get that with my V710's. Anyway after having the wheels balanced by two different tire shops,I was still getting the same steering wheel vibrations.

So today I took the car to Wal-Mart and told them to remove all the old weights (some shops are too lazy to remove the old weights) and rebalance the wheels.

The guys in the shop told me they usually don't see a lot of nice cars like the M3. They were fighting over who was gonna drive my car in.hahaha
After they did the work,I Took the car for a spin reaching speeds over 80mph,I got no vibrations whatsoever.

Anyway! very pleased with their work, they balanced the wheels where two so called specialized tire shop failed.
The problem with chain shop was that you may get lucky when you are dealing with someone that cares about cars and have decent knowledge about cars. That was just some rare cases. Most of the times, people just trying to make a living there, so they do not even care about your ride.
congratulate on getting the problem fix btw.

2011.5 mineral white e92 zcp 6mt m3
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangzeyuandss View Post
The problem with chain shop was that you may get lucky when you are dealing with someone that cares about cars and have decent knowledge about cars. That was just some rare cases. Most of the times, people just trying to make a living there, so they do not even care about your ride.
congratulate on getting the problem fix btw.

My reasoning for goin there after two tire shops is that I figured wally mart can afford new and properly calibrated equipment and most suppliers don't wanna f#ck with them . When it comes to balancing wheels,the equipment is prolly more important.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Going to keep that in mind, thanks . Took me 3 tries with Discount Tire, and still are not perfect. Most of those guys just don't give a f*ck indeed. That's why I always take just the wheels, with all weights/adhesive removed, and squeaky clean everywhere to let them know they're perfect, I care about my wheels, and I expect them back the same way.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Going to keep that in mind, thanks . Took me 3 tries with Discount Tire, and still are not perfect. Most of those guys just don't give a f*ck indeed. That's why I always take just the wheels, with all weights/adhesive removed, and squeaky clean everywhere to let them know they're perfect, I care about my wheels, and I expect them back the same way.
Also for an extra $2.50 they'll balance the wheels on the car for life.HAhahahaha I can comeback for whatever reason every week to get em balanced,they told me. With the plan included the total was around $15,and they opened on sunday from 8am...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

yes, sometimes a shop that claims they specialize in something can't do it properly.

case in point, i called 3 different alignment shops that said they worked on m3 car and they quote me 200-300 for an alignment and they said it could take up to 4 hours.

i brought it to a general alignment shop (they align all cars, but alignment is the only thing they do all day) and they did it for 100 bucks. my car drove straight and true and handle better than before the alignment.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
It really comes down to the operator. If you get a kid at Wal-Mart who's passionate about what he does, he'll get it perfect. There is an art to balancing wheels. Seems to be a lost one to me. The machines typically zero out the display before the wheels actually get to zero. I think it's something like a 5 gram limit. I can feel 5 grams in my steering.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

I don't know I, thing the eauipment is also just as important.

Last edited by V1.47fan; 10-12-2010 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

It's like getting an alignment,it doesn't matter how great the operator is if the equipment isn't calibrated.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Nice! The right equipment is definitely important. A competent human operator does matter, but if the machine is good enough and calibrated right, it is NOT rocket science.
      10-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Nice! The right equipment is definitely important. A competent human operator does matter, but if the machine is good enough and calibrated right, it is NOT rocket science.
I've had my RACs balanced on a Hunter GSP9700 and had them zero out. I can still feel the vibration in my steering.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
It really comes down to the operator. If you get a kid at Wal-Mart who's passionate about what he does, he'll get it perfect.
i agree 100%. Don't knock Walmart b/c of Walmart, it's all about the people who does the work and your relationship with him.

I use to have a kid change my oil for me for my old car at Walmart. He was a big DSM fan and we would chat about Evos and DSMs afterwards everytime. He was a Mechincial Engineering student working for cash and looking to land a job at the local Honda assembly plant after graduation. Of course it helps to tip those guys who do a good job too.

I also use to bring my wheels and tires to NTB to swap summer/winter setups. I found a kid who'll torque it all down by hand, again it helps to talk to him and give a tip for a job well done. It has nothing to do with NTB, it's all about the technician, when you find the right person, stick with him.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
+1,it comes down to the opeator AND the equipment that's properly calibrated. Those guys who balanced my wheels before 4 times between the 2 previous shop are passionate about what they do but still didn't get it right, the m3 being so tight,its got to be perfect. They do an excellent job mountin,dismounting low pro tires without scratching my wheels.they also work on my old jeep. Its only the wheel balancing on the m that they can't get right.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

+1 on Walmart working on my car and then sending a guy to my home address to steal my stereo later that week.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
+1 on Walmart working on my car and then sending a guy to my home address to steal my stereo later that week.
Only if they sensse you're a pussy, that's how wal-mart became so successful by hiring common criminals. So far they haven't sent someone to steal my stereo. You're not worry about the young guys who work at BMW dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #16
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
Only if they sensse you're a pussy, that's how wal-mart became so successful by hiring common criminals. So far they haven't sent someone to steal my stereo. You're not worry about the young guys who work at BMW dealerships.
Not going to start a flame war here, but this did actually happen with my Honda years ago.

I would never bring my BMW to Walmart nor would I ever advocate anyone taking their $60k+ car to a shop that works on $10k cars 99% of the time and hires the cheapest labor (hence likely the least skilled labor), but to each his own.

Unfortunately you have to worry about scumbags in every autoshop.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #17
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
Not going to start a flame war here, but this did actually happen with my Honda years ago.

I would never bring my BMW to Walmart nor would I ever advocate anyone taking their $60k+ car to a shop that works on $10k cars 99% of the time and hires the cheapest labor (hence likely the least skilled labor), but to each his own.

Unfortunately you have to worry about scumbags in every autoshop.
Can't you just use a fake address if that's what you're worried about? The guy who stole your stereo,did he leave his card or you're assuming he was sent by someone who works at walmart? Don't believe everything you think.hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #18
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

I didn't think much of it, especially since I was living in a nice apartment complex in a safe neighborhood.

It was a little coincidental that days later, my stereo is stolen especially after the guy who took down my info made a comment that it was a nice stereo.
Appreciate 0