BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
martini
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Dealer scratched and dented my rocker panels

So i got a nail in my tire and brought my car to the dealer for a new tire (glad I got the tire/wheel insurance). I was there last week for a service repair and they scratched my driver side rocker panel probably getting in/out of the car. I was able to buff it out so no big deal. Anyways, I told the service manager this morning about last week's incident and he was very apologetic that they weren't more careful, especially being an M. I also asked they be extra careful this morning to not do it again. Well, they put my new tire on this morning and they seemed to listen by not scratching the rocker panel getting in and out. I decided to look under the car where they put the jack to raise the car and sure enough, they dented and scratched underneath the panel where the jack goes. I called them right away, brought the car back, and now they are going to paint them at no charge, obviously. I asked how could this happen and supposedly either the some of the jacks don't go low enough to clear the bottom of the car or they are just stupid. Has this happened to anyone? If you've brought your car in for service and it's been raised, you may want to check for damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
So i got a nail in my tire and brought my car to the dealer for a new tire (glad I got the tire/wheel insurance). I was there last week for a service repair and they scratched my driver side rocker panel probably getting in/out of the car. I was able to buff it out so no big deal. Anyways, I told the service manager this morning about last week's incident and he was very apologetic that they weren't more careful, especially being an M. I also asked they be extra careful this morning to not do it again. Well, they put my new tire on this morning and they seemed to listen by not scratching the rocker panel getting in and out. I decided to look under the car where they put the jack to raise the car and sure enough, they dented and scratched underneath the panel where the jack goes. I called them right away, brought the car back, and now they are going to paint them at no charge, obviously. I asked how could this happen and supposedly either the some of the jacks don't go low enough to clear the bottom of the car or they are just stupid. Has this happened to anyone? If you've brought your car in for service and it's been raised, you may want to check for damage.
Tell them the next time it happens they won't get a call from you, they'll get a letter from your attorney instead. Might wake them up
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

you should note it in their survey they push out to you in a day...lol
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
martini
Private
Rep

I'm just hoping when they paint my car, they don't screw something else up. I had an Infiniti previously and they scratched my car during an oil change. I nailed them in the survey and said I didn't want them to contact me. Well, they called me within seconds and were very defensive. They fixed the dent, but I think everyone in the dealer knew I gave them terrible ratings because they wouldn't even look at me.

Depending upon next visit, I may have to drop the legal threat .
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

mdosu has a good point about the surveys too -- I believe that they have an effect on a dealership's income/bonuses if they do not get good ones. My dealer and I had some very heated exchanges when securing my ED order, so much so that they ended up giving me a brand new iPad Mini 'for my trouble' AKA my survey response.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
mdosu has a good point about the surveys too -- I believe that they have an effect on a dealership's income/bonuses if they do not get good ones. My dealer and I had some very heated exchanges when securing my ED order, so much so that they ended up giving me a brand new iPad Mini 'for my trouble' AKA my survey response.
Just as a side note, dealers are not required to have a survey sent for every single customer (they just don't report the work), and the "missed" surveys are for a good reason from their point of view.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Depending upon next visit, I may have to drop the legal threat .
Why bother going back?
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Just go straight to the top and contact BMW NA
      07-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
martini
Private
Rep

osteome, after this, I probably won't be going back unless I get some sot of confirmation they won't screw things up for me again. If they do a terrible job painting the repairs, I am going to the top to get this resolved. I feel the the service rep is doing his best, however, the guy doing the repairs needs to get fired.

When I left this morning after getting the new tire, the service rep asked if I would provide positive feedback in the survey that I'd be getting later today. Guess what, I haven't received any survey yet so I'm wondering if they took me off the list. If I do get one, I'll call him and ask him how important the feedback I provide for him is
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genro757 View Post
Just go straight to the top and contact BMW NA
The dealership isn't owned by BMWNA. Yes they have a lot of direction and control over what they can and cannot do, but other than penalize the dealership only after repeated customer complaints, careless techs who damage your car cosmetically won't usually warrant a call or any action from the OEM.

I had a problem with my dealership consistently curbing my wheels on my last BMW on the ramp up to the second level service bays and after muliple trips to have them fix the rash did my SA finally just say f**k it and only he drove my car from then on.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
Da Hapa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
osteome, after this, I probably won't be going back unless I get some sot of confirmation they won't screw things up for me again. If they do a terrible job painting the repairs, I am going to the top to get this resolved. I feel the the service rep is doing his best, however, the guy doing the repairs needs to get fired.
With respect, what type of confirmation are you looking for? Didn't they own up to the first incident that you buffed out and already promise to be more careful? And as a result, they caused further damage to your car?

Life is too short to deal with bullshit when it can be avoided and there are far too many BMW dealers and/or independents in this world. Don't go back to these clowns.

Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me.
Appreciate 0