BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-12-2009, 05:22 AM   #1
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Straight pipes: CEL on for how long & where in the dash?

About to get RPi front/x-pipes (no cats & resonators) next week. Until I get a custom tune (with O2 sensors disabled), will I get the CEL on the gauge cluster & also on the NAV screen? How long will it stay on the gauge cluster and/or NAV screen after I turn on the engine?...For x-amount of mins or the whole time the engine's on? If it stays on the whole time on either or both then will it be in the corner or will it block the view of other stuff on the gauge cluster (small LCD screen in between the gauges) and/or NAV screen? Pics? Thx!

- Jimmy

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
You get it on the dash, and that stays.

Whenever you start up the car you will get a chime, and it says "increased emissions" on top of the nav screen, as well as a symbol where your temp gauge is at. (both go away after like 10 seconds)

I got my CEL after 40 miles.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
You get it on the dash, and that stays.

Whenever you start up the car you will get a chime, and it says "increased emissions" on top of the nav screen, as well as a symbol where your temp gauge is at. (both go away after like 10 seconds)

I got my CEL after 40 miles.
On the dash & it says as in an actual light/icon on the dash? My bad, I had a long day so might not be thinking straight, LOL! Thx!

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Thanks for posting these questions Jimmy. I was curious as well....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Not that I'm a tree hugger, but why pollute the environment with HFCs available? It's a street car. Besides, how many HP can you gain by going catless vs HFCs? Just curious about that mentality. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Mine came on around 50 miles too... the following week I had Powerchip put in their tune that is mated for the RPI race exhaust and no errors since. Its been probably about 200 miles now or a little more.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Not that I'm a tree hugger, but why pollute the environment with HFCs available? It's a street car. Besides, how many HP can you gain by going catless vs HFCs? Just curious about that mentality. Good day.
I'm sure most people going catless dislike polluting the air......I even hate the smell of smoke from cigarettes. One day in the future, I hope to only run straight pipes on my weekend car.

......But for now, I'm just too much after the enhanced sound after going catless. I know that an x-pipe with hfc's will bring you a step closer to achieving a better sound, but it's still not the same. The gained power is a bonus, but the sound is actually my top priority. You can call me immature, or maybe I'm just a bad person.

I respect the way you think and feel though.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
When you turn it on, increased emissions will come on the idrive screen, then a little ! will be on your dash.. its not a big deal, you get use to it.
      09-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
I'm sure most people going catless dislike polluting the air......I even hate the smell of smoke from cigarettes. One day in the future, I hope to only run straight pipes on my weekend car.

......But for now, I'm just too much after the enhanced sound after going catless. I know that an x-pipe with hfc's will bring you a step closer to achieving a better sound, but it's still not the same. The gained power is a bonus, but the sound is actually my top priority. You can call me immature, or maybe I'm just a bad person.

I respect the way you think and feel though.
One thing you have to consider is reduced low RPM performance...this appears to be caused once you reach a certain threshold of too low a back pressure. A well balanced system with HFCs will help maintain a little bit of back pressure without sacrificing horsepower...and if you really want a loud sound, the rear muffler will probably make more difference than choosing between HFCs and a straight pipe.

I know this is a high revving car and all, but I actually found the low RPM dip did detrimentally affect my "lazy" driving mode around town. Of course if your car was a dedicated track car, then who cares, but if it is a city driver as well, something to think about...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
When you turn it on, increased emissions will come on the idrive screen, then a little ! will be on your dash.. its not a big deal, you get use to it.
Not a big deal at all. Since it doesn't keep chiming it doesn't really bother me

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for posting these questions Jimmy. I was curious as well....
Wut took u so long to reply?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
One thing you have to consider is reduced low RPM performance...this appears to be caused once you reach a certain threshold of too low a back pressure. A well balanced system with HFCs will help maintain a little bit of back pressure without sacrificing horsepower...and if you really want a loud sound, the rear muffler will probably make more difference than choosing between HFCs and a straight pipe.

I know this is a high revving car and all, but I actually found the low RPM dip did detrimentally affect my "lazy" driving mode around town. Of course if your car was a dedicated track car, then who cares, but if it is a city driver as well, something to think about...
This is interesting, I completely forgot about that. Does anybody have any charts (RPi if possible) of just the front & x-pipes w/a stock muffler? If it's not too much hp/tq lost downlow then I won't mind however if it's that noticeable then I might have to reconsider since even though this is my weekend toy, it gets driven on the street 90% of the time & 10% on the track. Thus, I'd like to have as much umph downlow when driving around on the streets.

So lemme get this straight...when turning on the engine, I'll getta chime then an "!" on my LCD in the gauge cluster & on the NAV screen for 10-secs then both goes away w/no chiming afterwards? But the CEL will be on the dash permanently until I get a reflash? Thx for everyone's confirmation!

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #12
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post

hmmmmm.....Interesting.

I'll see how the car feels after everything is installed... Thanks for your advice man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking Futs! View Post

Wut took u so long to reply?!?

Sorry.....Was busy pickin' my nose!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #13
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
...Sorry.....Was busy pickin' my nose!
TMI foo!

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ hahahehe......I can be too OPEN sometimes.

I can't not CONTAIN myself ya know!
Appreciate 0