BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-05-2024, 04:50 AM   #1
kangroay
Rep
Drives: None for now

E92 M3 LCI (non-ZCP) vs. G20 M340i RWD (non-LCI)

Hi guys,

Greetings from South Korea.

I have been in the market for an E92 M3 for a while, but recently, somehow the G20 M340i RWD (non-LCI) caught my eye and I am having little bit of trouble deciding which one to get as my daily. Though, I mostly work from home at the moment. Considering the reliability, I know that it's no brainer but I still cannot give up the E92 M3's aggressive front and rear fenders and the hood bulge. Also, not much of the exhaust sound but I love the engine sound that I can hear when I am behind the wheel. Without a doubt, the E92 M3 was my favorite M3 ever since it came out.

The two most things that I am scared of the E92 M3 are the throttle body actuator and the rod bearing issues. Since there is no way to diagnose those problems, I feel like I'll just have to drive with the expectations that those problems can happen anytime, which kinda sucks. Or, I will just have to get the service done preventatively at some point.

I have driven a few E92 M3's including the LRP edition when I was living in the states. On the other hand, I haven't driven any M340i, so not sure how it feels like but I know that it has much faster acceleration and maybe better handling as well. I really like the tail lamp design of the M340i and the overall rear end. Also, I really like the laser headlight in the front. (if I get an E92 M3, I will probably have to get a set of brighter headlights to enhance the visibility and the angel eyes)

I don't mind the engine and the exhaust sound of the M340i and in terms of the interior and the infotainment, for sure the M340i would be preferred.

Unfortunately, here in South Korea, there has been no ZCP sold so I am not so sure whether the normal non-ZCP is going to be worth it. I might have to lower it with springs and install the GTS DCT tune, etc.

Currently, there are two E92 M3s I am having my eye on. (photos attached)

1. 2012 Alpine White / Red seats / ZCP Wheels with spacers / 49,110 mi / $35,987 / comes with a set of winter tires (220M Wheels) / everything else is stock

2. 2013 LeMans Blue / Palladium Silver seats / 220M Wheels / 37,368 mi / $36,061 / stock muffler with mod for the sound enhancement / everything else is stock

There are some used M340i's (2019 - 2022) within the similar price range as the above M3's and that's one reason I started having some interest in it.

I went to the dealerships to see both cars and they were in great shapes in terms of the exterior and the interior. I didn't get to drive both but the both engine sounds were decent. Neither of them had any throttle body actuator issue or rod bearing issue yet, which is scary. According to the dealers, believe it or not, both cars had been well taken care of by the previous owners.

I already read some articles comparing the E92 M3 and the G20 M340i. Some people said that M340i will feel boring eventually whereas the E92 M3 will remain special. I still cannot tell this since I haven't driven an M340i myself and I am not sure if I will be able to spare my time to test drive an M340i. The M340i is super popular now here in South Korea that it's flawless.

My apology since I am all over the place but that shows my difficulties deciding which one I should get (even between those two colors).

Thanks for reading my terrible English and write-up and I really hope someone who had experiences with both the E92 M3 and the M340i can advise for me to make a better decision, or any comment will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Last edited by kangroay; 05-05-2024 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 11:01 AM   #2
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
No brianer - E9X M3. M340s are nice, but you’re never going to have a hard time finding those.

ZCP was mostly a cosmetic option and I can tell you, short of a track, you’ll never know the difference. I’ve owned both versions btw.

Rod bearings are an issue - I just went ahead and had them done on my 2011 at 70k. Of course, they were totally fine and didn’t need to be replaced. Oh well.

TAs are a nussance, but don’t cause any damage, so just let them break.

Both of those M3s look nice - I like LB, but it looks odd with the PS interior, so maybe the other one would be better.

Good luck!
      05-05-2024, 12:32 PM   #3
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Not quite the same comparison but my short story might help

BMW 335i 07 plate from new
First COBB installation in UK (I self imported and uploaded my ROM to enable the install)
The torque is intoxicating.
I then got a Quaife LSD and Birds automotive "B2" aftermarket suspension and ARB.
The slightly flatter cornering offered by the ARB upgrades helps you to read the car and steer on the throttle quite easily. Much much better than stock and I'd imagine better than g series too, (even though latter has locking e-diff instead of the Quaife)

Shortly after that I purchased the M3 suspension arm aftermarket bits with the aim to put them on the 335i

Before installing them I thought again.

I bought my e92 M3.

No contest.

Yes a potentially faster fettled turbo might make you feel like a hero at the beginning of an on-ramp. But the M3 will make you feel better getting on it, through it, off it, and maybe go around again because, well, there's a few free roundabouts and some redline opportunities, so why not

Even if just trundling around town at 30mph it can be a nice experience. Not quite to the degree of my 993 where I don't even mind getting stuck in traffic it's that nice, but close.

And that's even before you get to "B" roads.

Do you have those where you are? The G series car is a bigger car and you might be surprised how busy a few cm on each side of the car can help a twisty road feel wider or narrower than you expect.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by crypticc; 05-06-2024 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2024, 12:36 PM   #4
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Btw. My e92 335i was Le Mans blue.

On e92 M3 I think it was an individual colour option only.

My M3 is Santorini. If I didn't have that I might've looked for another Le Mans.

Oh, and finally, there's absolutely nothing wrong with your English.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2024, 06:49 PM   #5
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I have two e92 M3s (DCTs), a g20 330ix ZF8AT (B48) and a f22 m240ix ZF8AT (B58).

Driving the f22 B58 gives me a good idea of what our g20 B48 would fill like if it had a B58 (I’ve test driven a g20 M340i and it’s very similar to the f22 B58 with a little more pull at higher rpm).

As others have stated, the TAs are not a major concern and if they fail only results in limp mode. The TAs aren’t expensive and are something that can be DIY’ed. I’ve never thought about the TAs when driving the car hard on track. I replaced the RBs in both e92s at 25k miles and 20k miles. With engines failing between 5k miles to 100+k miles, I decided to do them early then not have to worry about them. I’m running BPM stage 2 tunes in both with 8.6k rpm redline and one has a 3.62 FD DCT LSD (other has stock 3.15 FD). Both have aftermarket suspensions and brake kits. Both have GTS DCT flash and Karbonius CF plenum.

The g20 330ix is 100% stock with M performance packages and Track Handling Package (THP) on MPS4S 225/255 summer tires. The f22 has the same suspension as one of the e92s otherwise it’s stock.

In terms of driver engagement and excitement, it’s hands down the e92 M3. Revving a NA 4.0 L V8 wot to 8.6k rpm is thrilling every time! The engine is still pulling hard when you have to shift at 8.6k. Every time you drive the e92, it feels like you’re driving something special. The g20 B58 may be faster in a straight line but it feels like an appliance meaning it does its job but has no excitement, no soul, no thrill. Engine runs out of steam long before redline, compared to the S65, and that helps to take away from the experience & excitement. Handling and braking are far superior to the g20 but the THP does handle well for a stock suspension.

For daily driving, the g20 m340i will be the better option. Much better fuel mileage and easy to deal with stock-and-go driving. Our g20 with the B48 does great in traffic so the g20 with B58 will be superior. E92 isn’t terrible in traffic but its strengths are don’t start showing up until 4k rpm! However, I did use our ‘09 as my daily driver three days/week for two years. Its fuel mileage is the biggest issue when DD’ing and then you get anxious when the fuel gauge drops below a 1/4 tank and you’re in stop-n-go traffic lol

I see advantages and disadvantages for both but, buying right now, I’d learn toward one of the low mileage e92s and pickup a g20 m340i later on down the road.

You have no need to apologize for your English. If you hadn’t said anything, I would have guessed English was your 1st language. Your post is very well written and much better than a large majority of with English as their first language speakers/writers.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 05-05-2024 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2024, 07:59 PM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

+1 to what M3SQRD said.

If you plan to do a lot of miles then probably the M340i. If you want a car you can enjoy on weekends and keep forever, hands down the E92 M3. I daily drove my E92 M3 for several years before Covid and WFH hit. Aside from fuel it's a perfectly daily drivable car. I've got cheaper more practical cars to use as daily but my hands keep grabbing the keys to the M3.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2024, 08:17 PM   #7
kangroay
Rep
Drives: None for now

Thank you all for the awesome comments and thoughtful advice. I really appreciate all of you!

I am leaning more towards the E92 M3 and hope I can make the decision soon!

Have a great day guys!

Last edited by kangroay; 05-05-2024 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 05:26 AM   #8
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

My cousin has a pre lci m340 (2020), its a cool car. pretty quick with the b58 with a downpipe and tune but it does get boring and it also feels very big. I wouldnt mind having both but the quality of the product is not there. from my own experience working at the dealer, the quality of the product has dropped significant since the introduction of the F series models. He has had issues with the windshield bond failing, hvac noise resulting in removal of the dash which took 6 weeks to get a part from germany and a slew of other issues which you would not expect in a new car. While the m340I is cool, I wouldnt mind having one but I would not buy one.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1