BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

03-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

Thoughts on Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash?

A friend who is much more obsessed with keeping his car clean than I recommended a product that he has started using -- Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash. http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/mrclean..._carwash.shtml

It is basically a tricked out nozel head which will spray water, soap, and --the key for me given the extremely hard water in Orange County -- deionized water to rinse the soap off. My friend says it beads off the car like crazy and dries quickly without leaving any spots. I, of course, would still polish dry the car but not having to worry about water marks is huge.

I'm thinking of trying it out but wanted to see if anyone had any expeirence/thoughts re: the product.

Thanks!

Peter
      03-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
kkhurr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A/W E92 M3 '08

I use it and it actually does a really good job. The big pluses about it is that you can wash the car very quickly and since pretty much everything is in that nozzle that attaches to the hose has everything in there. So technically all you need is to attach the autowash to the hose and have a brush and u can wash the car. So there isnt a huge ordeal to clean up afterwards. U just wash the car and then put the hose and brush away. It also does a very good job also of cleaning the car.

Things to know though:

1) After you use the deinoized water park it in the shade otherwise it will get water spots

2) U will probably want to dry the side view mirrors and windows ureself because for some reason water spots get on there too

3) get a separate brush for the wheels because u can use the soap on the wheels too and i actually recommend it instead of using a harsh wheel cleaner.

Overall though it does a great job and i definitely recommend it. I used it on my old E46 M3 which was jet black so if it works well on a jetblack car itll work well on anything in my opinion.

Last edited by kkhurr; 03-14-2009 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I used to have one and it works great. Just wash the car normally but instead of towel drying it, just spray it down with the deionized water at the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

The less you touch your paint, the less chance there is for swirls to appear over time. That is where this thing would shine if it works as advertised, IMO.
      03-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

thanks for the comments guys. I think I'll give it a try.

Curious that there will only be no spots if you let it dry in the shade. Wonder what the science is behind that.
      03-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
johnL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

If you're looking for a water deionizer, I'd recommend the CRspotless over the Mr.Clean.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

i used to use it, and it's not very efficient in any way.

1. filters will cost you. they do not last 10 times

2. if you miss a spot when spraying it down with the dry water, you'll get burned pretty hard with some possible nasty etching

3. mr clean soap is pretty strong.

4. it doesn't foam very well

5. it takes a while to dry before you can wax. if you leave it outside, it seems to attract some dust which makes waxing out of the question after that
Appreciate 0