BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

12-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #23
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90_DriftStar View Post
The dodge Ram's with cummins engines are very reliable.
The Cummins may be reliable, but the trans might commit suicide. Chrysler doesn't make the best transmissions.

I will go for a Duramax Silvy/Sierra if you want to go the diesel route. Nothing beats the Allison transmission that is behind it!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #24
Glacked
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

How much are you looking to spend? There some great deals out there right now on 08 trucks that put them in the price range of much older models. I got a new 08 Sierra crew cab SLT a few months back for what I was looking at putting in a 3yr old model.

I like the Ford, Toyota and Dodge trucks - in that order behind GMC/Chevy. I just do not like their interiors. We have F-150's at work and I've always hated the interior. Toyota reminds me of my '04 4Runner with too much plastic and the Dodge still looks like Dodge. I fell in love with the GMC SLT because the interior reminded me of my E90. Silly, I know, but I've owned 5 trucks and only one hasn't been GMC or Chevy - I'm biased. I also love how it drives.

Now, when my brushed alum kit gets in, it'll match the Bimmer nicely.

Cruise around some of the local sites and check the prices in your area. Right now is a great time to be in the market for a truck. Buddy just got a new 07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax for a little over $20k. It was less than half price. If I had opted out of the leather seats and newer dash, I could've beaten his price for my same truck in an 08.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #25
AjzRide
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1965 Mustang 351w

I had a Nissan Titan before I got my 3-series. The only con was the fuel economy (14mpg mixed), other than that I loved it. The interior was built of quality plastic (Not the cheap GM style stuff) The AC was cold, and it had more towing capacity than you would ever use (9000 lbs). Never had any reliability problems either. You could probably find a good deal on a used 2005 or so.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #26
CheshireCat
Rep
Drives: 1969 Datsun

Like someone already mentioned it depends on how much you want to spend. You can go for an older model domestic or import truck for less money, but make sure you know what you are buying and who you are buying it from. I personally drive an 08 Toyota Tundra w/5.7 L V8 (380hp), tow package and 4x4 for less than $30k and this was in February so by now you can probably get one for much less than that. This vehicle has 1500lb payload so hauling a bike is no problem and can also tow 10,000lbs so you could tow a trailer w/10 bikes on it if you wanted to. The best part is the acceleration...honestly you wouldn't think you could get this type of acceleration out of a full size truck. And it's a Toyota so its very well engineered and reliable, but try to test drive one and see what you think. Sorry, if I sound like a commercial for Toyota but I love my truck lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 10:24 PM   #27
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
Like someone already mentioned it depends on how much you want to spend. You can go for an older model domestic or import truck for less money, but make sure you know what you are buying and who you are buying it from. I personally drive an 08 Toyota Tundra w/5.7 L V8 (380hp), tow package and 4x4 for less than $30k and this was in February so by now you can probably get one for much less than that. This vehicle has 1500lb payload so hauling a bike is no problem and can also tow 10,000lbs so you could tow a trailer w/10 bikes on it if you wanted to. The best part is the acceleration...honestly you wouldn't think you could get this type of acceleration out of a full size truck. And it's a Toyota so its very well engineered and reliable, but try to test drive one and see what you think. Sorry, if I sound like a commercial for Toyota but I love my truck lol.
So by camshafts breaking, transmissions failing, and tailgates bending under what is considered "normal" truck use is Toyota engineering, uh no thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #28
Glacked
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

AjzRide, you should check out GM's new interiors and Roll Tide. Two levels of dash and much improved fit/finish for both.

Truck owning and brand loyalty runs much deeper than the car market ever thought about being. You talk badly about someone's truck and you might as well kicked his dog in front of his kids... his reaction will be about the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #29
AjzRide
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1965 Mustang 351w

Glacked

I definitely know about truck loyalty living in south Alabama. And since I posted, I have ridden in an 2008 suburban, and I must say that the interior was actually very nice. I should edit my previous post to say 90's GM plastic.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #30
CheshireCat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
So by camshafts breaking, transmissions failing, and tailgates bending under what is considered "normal" truck use is Toyota engineering, uh no thanks!

I can only speak from my own experience, so since I havent had any of those issues I can say that Toyotas are well engineered.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #31
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
I can only speak from my own experience, so since I havent had any of those issues I can say that Toyotas are well engineered.
You can say that as your opinion, but your original post made the assumption that since it is a Toyota, it is well engineered.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #32
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Nissan Titan
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #33
CheshireCat
Rep

Quote:
You can say that as your opinion, but your original post made the assumption that since it is a Toyota, it is well engineered.
You're right I did make an assumption. BTW, how many Toyota's have you owned that had the issues you mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #34
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
You're right I did make an assumption. BTW, how many Toyota's have you owned that had the issues you mentioned?

None, but I was just destroying your assumption by listing the Tundra's most common problems. I didn't mean to imply the Tundra is a POS and that is why I put a at the end of the post.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #35
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

A friend of mine has one of these:

Of course, a diesel and he's towed a flat bed trailer with this holding many cars.

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #36
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mandy View Post
A friend of mine has one of these:

Of course, a diesel and he's towed a flat bed trailer with this holding many cars.
I'm hauling a sport bike not an apartment complex lmao.

Thanks for your input guys, I have a wider range of options now.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #37
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

And another bit of advice: AVOID THE POWERSTROKE! That thing has reliability problems up the wazoo.

A half ton will probably be enough for his needs if he just wants to haul motorcycles around. No need to go get a 3/4 ton truck.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #38
CheshireCat
Rep

Quote:
None, but I was just destroying your assumption by listing the Tundra's most common problems. I didn't mean to imply the Tundra is a POS and that is why I put a at the end of the post.
The only thing you are destroying, my friend, is your credibility. My assumption that Toyota is well engineered holds more weight than your assumption that it isnt since you admittedly have had absolutely no experience with a Toyota...now please go find someone else to argue over petty shit with.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #39
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
The only thing you are destroying, my friend, is your credibility. My assumption that Toyota is well engineered holds more weight than your assumption that it isnt since you admittedly have had absolutely no experience with a Toyota...now please go find someone else to argue over petty shit with.
That's because one experience isn't enough to say if a Tundra is well engineered. All I am doing is listing the common problems with the Tundra, not saying it's a POS. All vehicles have their problems. You made an assumption. All I did was list the vehicle's quality issues.

I was being sarcastic by saying, "that is Toyota engineering, no thanks". That is why I put the after it to note my sarcasm.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #40
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmstyle71 View Post
I'm hauling a sport bike not an apartment complex lmao.
Oh sorry, my bad. I thought maybe that would be one of the things you have planned to haul.

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0