BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

12-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i e36 m3

What's the min. GPA you should graduate from college with for it to be worth...

OT!

What's the min. GPA you should graduate college with for it to be worth something? What about major GPA if you plan on going on to grad school (MBA). I have a general idea but I just want a general consensus.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

well you gotta pass for it to be worth something I would say above 2.5 and its decent enough for you to say you have a college degree. I would try to keep the major GPA above 2.8 tho. But the general consensus is (especially for your markets) if your GPA is under 3.0 leave it off the resume.

To go to MBA is a whole another story. I would say min 3.0 to even consider a decent B string. Above 3.5 and a bomb GMAT score to even consider A list and Ivy goes without saying.

What UG school matters alot too. a 3.3 out of Standford means a shit load more than 3.8 at CSUSF.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
Seabiscuit
Aequitas Veritas
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Honestly, once you get your degree your GPA doesn't matter all that much. Same for the school. Once you get a job your gonna be working right long side people who graduated from worse schools and working under people that graduated from WAY worse schools.

Just get that piece of paper and you'll be ok. (maybe not, though)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
Honestly, once you get your degree your GPA doesn't matter all that much. Same for the school. Once you get a job your gonna be working right long side people who graduated from worse schools and working under people that graduated from WAY worse schools.

it matters in this economy, especially for fresh out of college guys who don't got much work experience to write on the resume.
I personally think that
Dad is president of US>dad is CEO of exxon Mobile>ass kissing>work experience>skills>name of school>GPA>beg
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 01:43 AM   #5
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i e36 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post

GPA is a big deal especially with top tier firms. You can't even be considered an applicant for an internship without at least a 3.0. Some firms even require at least a 3.5/6 to be even considered...it especially matters, as samwoo2goo has mentioned, for fresh out of college student with little to no experience these days.

I ask because I have around a 2.99 overall gpa and a 3.4 major GPA and I was wondering if its worth staying an extra year of UG taking BS courses to boost my GPA. At the moment I have little to no experience in my field (business/econ/management) because I screwed up and was careless my first 2 years in college. I'm just worried I won't be able to find a decent job out of college.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 02:59 AM   #6
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTFTW View Post
GPA is a big deal especially with top tier firms. You can't even be considered an applicant for an internship without at least a 3.0. Some firms even require at least a 3.5/6 to be even considered...it especially matters, as samwoo2goo has mentioned, for fresh out of college student with little to no experience these days.

I ask because I have around a 2.99 overall gpa and a 3.4 major GPA and I was wondering if its worth staying an extra year of UG taking BS courses to boost my GPA. At the moment I have little to no experience in my field (business/econ/management) because I screwed up and was careless my first 2 years in college. I'm just worried I won't be able to find a decent job out of college.
look if you can afford it, why not? its a shitty time to look for a job right now anyways.
I would try for an easy load, pick up a minor maybe, and try for a part time internship at the same time, that way, you are raising your GPA AND gaining experience at the same time.
GPA matters alot when you are looking for your first job, then like a new car, its value diminishes really fast. 6 years out of college and 3 jobs later, no1 gives a shit about your GPA but what B-School you come out of.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
to get into a top tier mba program, you need at least a 3.8+ from a pretty good school. otherwise, your odds are stacked against people with 5+ yrs of experience working at big companies with similar grades in their undergrad.
      12-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
wellwell
Private First Class
Rep

OP, sign up at www.wallstreetoasis.com and start researching. lots of useful insight. GL
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
Peg_legs
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW Z4

The business unit within my company that I work for requires a 3.5 or higher GPA. They have other business units that only require a degree without minimum GPA. The pay and promotional opportunities are much better in the business unit that requires the higher GPA.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

I would say to you try your absolute best, if you can get 4.0's without effort why slack off and get 3.0.
      12-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

3.0 or better is best.

My friend is currently suffering from his GPA problem nearly 4 years after graduating college. He always said GPA doesn't matter after you get your first job and some experience. Well generally I'd agree with him, but he got a 2.0-2.2 gpa in college and now he wants to join the military as an Officer. The first thing they asked was "what was your GPA?" He flipped out and was like "why do you care, it doesn't matter" and the recruiters were like "well it does and if you don't have a 3.0 or higher I wouldn't bother applying"

Heck if he had a better GPA, he would of had a better job then the one he has now. If he had a better job he wouldn't even be considering the military at age 27.

I told my friend that GPAs don't necessarily tell someone how smart you are, but they do a good job of showing someones work ethic.

His work ethic is horrible and is gpa shows just that.

I always told him that GPAs do matter and at some point its going to effect you. Heck, my GPA was the only thing that got me through the door for a chance at an interview at my current company. If I didn't have a 3.0 or higher, I wouldn't of even gotten the chance to interview with them (fortune 20 company)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
Aija
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335Coupe 6-Speed!

Generally speaking,
-GPA only matters in your first job and even then, if you had multiple internships, they will be MUCH more forgiving on your GPA.

-Major - What did you major in? Maintaining a higher GPA for technical degree is ALOT tougher. A 3.0 GPA from marketing is not the same thing as a 3.0 in engineering.

-Generally, if a company asks for a GPA, they will more than likely not follow up on checking for GPA which can come to your favor in 2 ways.
1. You can lie (im not encouraging this)
2. You can state your highest GPA (In my college there were three different "overall" GPAs)

Now if you want to go to tier 1 grad school, basically anything under 3.5 from an average college is very bad and anything under 3.0 from a prestige school is bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTFTW View Post
OT!

What's the min. GPA you should graduate college with for it to be worth something? What about major GPA if you plan on going on to grad school (MBA). I have a general idea but I just want a general consensus.
It depends on what you do, where you want to work and how long you've been working.

Some employers place a lot of weight on the GPA. Some on the experience. Some require both. Some neither. It varies between companies and industries.

Personally, I've been interviewing new college grads this past week and anyone with a GPA under 3.4/4.0 was filtered out (I believe by HR) before reaching my desk. Of the dozen resumes I saw, most fell above 3.7/4.0 and all of them had at least one, often two, related internships.

At that point it comes down to their technical strength and their "intangibles."
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

see comments in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aija View Post
Generally speaking,
-GPA only matters in your first job and even then, if you had multiple internships, they will be MUCH more forgiving on your GPA.
this is too general... maybe if you're going to be a manager at a mcdonald's it doesn't matter

-Major - What did you major in? Maintaining a higher GPA for technical degree is ALOT tougher. A 3.0 GPA from marketing is not the same thing as a 3.0 in engineering.
regardless of the major, you shouldn't make that an excuse for your incompetence

-Generally, if a company asks for a GPA, they will more than likely not follow up on checking for GPA which can come to your favor in 2 ways.
1. You can lie (im not encouraging this)
2. You can state your highest GPA (In my college there were three different "overall" GPAs)
see first comment