BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

11-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
thetoe
Rep
Drives: E92 Mineral White

Mineral white color match

How difficult is it to color match mineral white paint? I\'m having my bumper replaced and the dealership is telling me they can\'t get a good match. Are they trying to save money by not redoing it the right way or do they have a leg to stand on?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoe View Post
How difficult is it to color match mineral white paint? I\'m having my bumper replaced and the dealership is telling me they can\'t get a good match. Are they trying to save money by not redoing it the right way or do they have a leg to stand on?
White can be tough to match. Metallics add a second layer of difficulty. I think MW may have pearl in it as well which adds even more difficulty. It just depends on the shop that the dealer is using for the repair since many dealers don't actually do paint and body.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
White can be tough to match. Metallics add a second layer of difficulty. I think MW may have pearl in it as well which adds even more difficulty. It just depends on the shop that the dealer is using for the repair since many dealers don't actually do paint and body.
MW has pearl, not metallic. You can either have one or the other. They will end up canceling eachother if you have both. I used to work at a bodyshop. As far as matching the paint, if it is a three stage color, like it should be, it would be difficult. Or now a days, they have gone with the two stage color system, where the pearl is mixed in the base coat. Which if this is the way they are going, they can get a factory pac from the paint manufacture and blend. Which if the whole bumper is being replaced, they will blend on both fenders and on the hood.

Eric
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
fastrack
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 MW e92 M3

Garage List
2021 M2c  [0.00]
it will be difficult to match. but my shop was able to do it on the second try

Mineral White + HRE + Brembo + Eisenmann + Challenge = Perfection
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Which if the whole bumper is being replaced, they will blend on both fenders and on the hood.

Eric
Eric, can I ask you about blending?

I had a rear bumper cover repainted (silver, not a BMW) and they blended the fender. I think the blending looks terrible, because it really stands out in the sun. I would have preferred a slightly mismatch to the bumper and the adjacent body panel. I know that bumpers take paint differently than metal body panels, so a variation is to be expected. Blending just stands out to me, unless I'm just seeing a poor blend?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post

I had a rear bumper cover repainted (silver, not a BMW) and they blended the fender. I think the blending looks terrible, because it really stands out in the sun. I would have preferred a slightly mismatch to the bumper and the adjacent body panel. I know that bumpers take paint differently than metal body panels, so a variation is to be expected. Blending just stands out to me, unless I'm just seeing a poor blend?
A correct blend would make it seamless. Obviously they did less than quality work.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
A correct blend would make it seamless. Obviously they did less than quality work.
Not surprising. But I guess I'd have to see (or not see) a proper blend to be impressed by the concept.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not surprising. But I guess I'd have to see (or not see) a proper blend to be impressed by the concept.
A good blend would not be able to be seen by most folks. Most times though from what I have seen, shops don't normally blend a fender when painting a bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:

THE TECH is right, a good blend is seemless. The way you would blend is, you take the closes variance that matched and paint the part to be painted. Then you will fan the air gun to the adjecent panels, in your case the fenders. You do not carry the paint all the way to the entire fender, just a coupple of strokes and you should be blended and ready to clear the whole thing. It is hard to explain than actually showing you. It is hard, but it is not, if you know what you are doing. You should not see a blend line or a difference in color variance at all. If you do, then the variance was either too dark or too light. Hope that this explains it a little better.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
THE TECH is right, a good blend is seemless. The way you would blend is, you take the closes variance that matched and paint the part to be painted. Then you will fan the air gun to the adjecent panels, in your case the fenders. You do not carry the paint all the way to the entire fender, just a coupple of strokes and you should be blended and ready to clear the whole thing. It is hard to explain than actually showing you. It is hard, but it is not, if you know what you are doing. You should not see a blend line or a difference in color variance at all. If you do, then the variance was either too dark or too light. Hope that this explains it a little better.
I appreciate the explanation. Looks like the shop that did mine used a blend that was too dark. Bugs me like crazy whenever I see the blend on the rear quarter panel.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
I appreciate the explanation. Looks like the shop that did mine used a blend that was too dark. Bugs me like crazy whenever I see the blend on the rear quarter panel.
Depending on the color, matching is difficult. White has like 12 -13 variances, if I'm not mistaken. So, to be a painter, you have to have an eye for that type of stuff. You would have to see the different variances in that one color. I remember getting headaches from looking at the same damn color all day trying to match a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Depending on the color, matching is difficult. White has like 12 -13 variances, if I'm not mistaken. So, to be a painter, you have to have an eye for that type of stuff. You would have to see the different variances in that one color. I remember getting headaches from looking at the same damn color all day trying to match a car.
The color is Honda's Alabaster Silver. I recognize that the blending could be extremely difficult. I would have preferred no blend at all. The risk just seems too great (on difficult colors) that the blend will not turn out well.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

Had my MW front bumper repainted, it is a tri layer paint job, and the shop my dealer relies on got it right the first time. Pretty sure its a metallic silver layer and not a mixed pearl. It is possible, just takes longer than a standard colour. Fastrack did you get your trunk resprayed?
Appreciate 0