BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

09-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Cio
Rep
Drives: 335i on order

Bachelors of Science in COMPUTER SCIENCE... guidance?

Greetings all,

I'm currently working contracting jobs in the intelligence field. The pay is pretty decent (60k+), but the job locations are very limited (and contracting isn't stable at all). I was thinking of going back into school to get into a software related job, which is abundant and paying well (and probably better) anywhere.

Can anybody in school or in the field shed some light on the topic?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
my ex was a CS major...finance for me...shes a baller, i'm not
      09-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
A lot of CS jobs do not pay as well as you'd think (out of the gates at least) unless you are an expert in certain systems and know your shit well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

It depends what you want to do. Some things can be self-taught without investing in a college degree (i.e. web development). Other positions (gov't jobs/sw-systems engineer/system analyst/project engineer) may require minimum B.S.
      09-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
It depends what you want to do. Some things can be self-taught without investing in a college degree (i.e. web development). Other positions (gov't jobs/sw-systems engineer/system analyst/project engineer) may require minimum B.S.
I would disagree for sw-systems engineer. I was an AIX development support engineer for IBM and have never spent a single day in college. If you are sufficiently good, doors will be opened for you.

EDIT:

Although to both our points, they rewrote the job specification to accommodate me.

Last edited by radix; 09-24-2013 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
I would disagree for sw-systems engineer. I was an AIX development support engineer for IBM and have never spent a single day in college. If you are sufficiently good, doors will be opened for you.

EDIT:

Although to both our points, they rewrote the job specification to accommodate me.
"AIX development support engineer" is not what I'm referring to with SW/Systems Engineer. Software/Systems Engineering requires more domain knowledge than knowing a specific OS (i.e. SDLC/SELC and solving complex problems that require industry experience rather than the ability to Google an answer). Architecting complex IT solutions without having experience across different IT functions isn't something you can just spend some time self-studying to accomplish.
      09-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
"AIX development support engineer" is not what I'm referring to with SW/Systems Engineer. Software/Systems Engineering requires more domain knowledge than knowing a specific OS (i.e. SDLC/SELC and solving complex problems that require industry experience rather than the ability to Google an answer). Architecting complex IT solutions without having experience across different IT functions isn't something you can just spend some time self-studying to accomplish.
Actually my job was to debug AIX down to the line of source (including kernel, filesystem, and libc) at IBM research in Austin . Considering its closed source nature, is not googleable [is that a word?]. And yes those things can be self taught, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
radix
No_Country
Rep

I guess I didn't really address your point. Prior to moving to IBM I was a Unix System Engineer/Architect working for a different fortune 50 company and worked with various OSes (all Unix based however), hardware, storage systems, and applications, and did create actual solutions to solve business problems. To clarify, I taught myself this (design/capacity planning) as well. I'm just saying it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
Cio
Rep

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Could someone give me the PROs/CONs of their software related job, and also some tips/warnings for someone interested in pursuing the career?

For me, I am trying to assess whether it would be more beneficial to be the person working ON the systems (which would require the BS in CS), or continue working off systems as the analyst as i currently do.

Salary is ofc a strong incentive, but the flexibility of working on software anywhere is what interests me.

Once again, thank you for sharing your time.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cio
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Could someone give me the PROs/CONs of their software related job, and also some tips/warnings for someone interested in pursuing the career?

For me, I am trying to assess whether it would be more beneficial to be the person working ON the systems (which would require the BS in CS), or continue working off systems as the analyst as i currently do.

Salary is ofc a strong incentive, but the flexibility of working on software anywhere is what interests me.

Once again, thank you for sharing your time.
Well I have my undergrad in CS and will finish my masters in CS by spring. I'm only 22 so not a lot of experience per say. I got offered 70k starting salary and my masters is being paid for my company, so I consider that well paid, especially since I have many friends who just got off college and still job searching (or many have 40-50k salaries).

What I really like about the CS (or software in general) field is the vast amount of things you can do.

If you like medical stuff, you can go into that field. If you like networking and security, you can do that. Physics people always need good programmers to create simulation models for them. You can do gaming, or even work for car companies. Software is pretty much everywhere . That's the main reason why I chose CS.
      09-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Forgot to add cons. Since I'm still noob i pretty much have to sit in front of a desk for 8 hours a day and code. My legs get tired and my eyes want to burn out from staring at monitors. I love exercise so I am very fidgety and don't want to sit down all day. Can't wait until I become more pro and can attend meetings and stuff
      09-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

I'm a Software engineer for a medical company that builds and designs various medical equipments (Heart rate monitor, ventilators, blenders etc)

I have a BS in Computer science. Your best bet is to find the cheapest college that offers CS. No need to waste your money on big name colleges. At the same time, i will not recommend learning on your own. It can become very tedious. You need the presence of a professor, students, class hall, homework to keep you motivated. If you try to learn on your own.... trust me! YOU WILL GET FRUSTRATED and quit.

Just like Greenkirby21 mentioned, once you've earned your degree, you can apply for ANY job field. I have had 3 jobs after graduated college in 2008. I first worked for a Database EDM company, then i worked for an Aerospace company, now i work for a Medical company. I was getting a lot of job offers (keep in mind this was during the awful recession)

Software is needed in pretty much every field you can think of. My advice is to find a cheap college or even a community college, stay disciplined and make sure you learn your SH!T. Because during job interviews, once they detect that you have confidence, theyll hire you.

You can even start your own company and do what ever you what. I have other side companies that i own (Nothing major). I've done 3 iPhone apps and games. I've designed miniature robots. My next goal is to design an artificial human body that i can try to sell to hospitals to use for training.

To make it short... The world is yours. I say: Yes, do CS, don't pay too much, make sure you learn your stuff. Stay away from online colleges. I prefer normal class rooms, it keeps you disciplined.

Goodluck
      09-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Pros:
(1) Pay$$ ($75k average with 4yr exp)
(2) Work with computers (I'd rather deal with annoying computers that deal with annoying customers/ humans
(3) Your creation (It feels good to see your creation come to life)

Cons
(1) Pay$$$ (as a programmer you are max'ed out at about $90k, to make more you need to leave programming and become a software director which typically requires at least 12-15yrs experience)
(2) Stress (pressure and stress is ridiculous when deadlines are approaching and the codes won't work)
(3) Energy loss (After staring at those screen and cracking your brain doing mathematics from 9-5, after worked you will be completely poofed.

Not Con nor Pro
But every now and then, Software changes so vastly that it can become annoying to keep up with... in a way it's good because if you can stay upto date, you are more marketable.
      09-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

As of 2013... The most marketable Software language you can learn is C#.
      09-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
Cio
Rep

Great.

This was everything that I was hoping to hear. Much appreciated, everyone; thanks for the guidance.
Appreciate 0