BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

10-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
bellemastiff
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Question Tips for sending in oil for Blackstone Labs analysis?

Hello gents,

I purchased a pump (w/ a sample test kit) from Blackstone Labs. I plan to test my new-to-me '11 e92 M3 w/ ~40k miles. I'm not positive how many miles it's had since it's last oil change, maybe 1,000 or so.

Anyways I just had a few questions.
1) How do I physically take the sample from an '11 e92 M3? where do I put the pump tube in, and how deep do I insert it

2) Should the engine be quite warm when I take the oil sample out?

3) Anything else to keep in mind or important tips?

Sorry if these questions are n00b. I just want to make sure I do any preventative maintenance if necessary, I love this car & want to baby it...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Most folks take the sample at oil change time while draining the oil. Temp does not really matter, although most would drain the oil warm so that the oil flows out more readily. Blackstone is analyzing trace elements held in suspension in the oil and not larger metal particles that settle to the bottom.

You really need to wait about 5000 miles at a minimum to get a meaningful sample of wear metals in your oil

If taking a sample and NOT draining the oil, I would remove the oil filter cannister lid and pump it out from there. The lid requires a 36mm socket; most first time 3-series owners will need to buy one of these (see Amazon). You can also do a partial drain on the S65 engine by removing only the front drain plug (there are two). This will drain about 1 liter of oil (which you would need to replenish by adding new oil if not doing an oil change).

Last edited by Beemdog; 10-03-2014 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

You can take a sample from the oil filter housing. Do it immediately after shutting off the car (after a normal driving session of 20+ minutes).
      10-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Cold sample tends to have higher residual fuel in it than a warm sample and why they want a warm sample. I always have to send cold sample as track only car and can't drive around neighborhood.
Appreciate 0